Note9, Do I upgrade and what to?

Nick980

Currently running a Galaxy Note9 512GB, had it since launch and it’s been a great phone but is coming up 3 years old now and doesn't get OS updates anymore. My current sim only deal runs out next month, so the question is do I upgrade or carry for another year with the Note9? Condition wise the screen has a few scratches on it but not noticeable when the screen is on unless its black and the room is bright, paint on the frame is scuffed in places, I have replaced the battery and the back glass.

Biggest question for me is if I do upgrade what do I upgrade to? There is apparently no new Note coming this year and to be honest I'm growing tired of ads in all of Samsung's apps and the disjointed interaction between Samsung app's and Googles apps..

Really I'm tempted by the iPhone 12 Pro Max but I've had iPhones before and always found myself back on a Note device and no other Android phones excite me. I mainly use my phone for consuming media, playing games and streaming games from pc to phone, so a nice big display is a must. I'm sure IOS has moved on but not sure how well it integrates with Windows Your Phone. Also I'm easily influenced and could see myself getting sucked into the Apple life if I go back to iPhone. Would suck as I'm a PC gamer. Can't argue with 6-7 years of OS updates though

So at the moment the question is carry on with the Note9 for £10 a month, get a 12 Pro Max for £50 a month, wait for the iPhone 12s/13 later this year or does anyone have any alternative suggestions? Before anyone suggest the S21, it's ugly AF and no substitute for a Note phone

I mean your choice is staring you in the face; 512GB note 20 ultra. It's a massive upgrade in every way man, you'll love it. I went from that (note20U) and bought an iphone 12 pro max, hated it. everything is so plain. I missed my live wallpapers and s pen. the cameras suck. the only way iphone is better is with video recording but its not like the n20 is bad. go for it..

My friend has the newest note but I personally don't like it. I would actually suggest you (if you don't need Google go for Huawei it isn't that bad as you think I have a p40pro) to buy a one plus or other China phones they are the best ones right now even if you ignore the price

Just don't go for iPhone that's the most important thing there bad in every aspect

Note20 Ultra would probably be a good upgrade. You're losing the headphone jack and Iris scanner (but anything nowadays is also missing those). You are also getting that smooth 120Hz display. You'll get Android 12 and maybe 13 officially but no one knows if you'll get 14 or later.

I'd strongly suggest buying used if you can, usually you can get Note20Ultras for under half retail.

I personally upgraded to a Zfold2 but I will say the lack of spen support is a drag, if I used it more I probably would have gone Note20 Ultra.
My mother recently upgraded her Note9 to a Note20 Ultra and hasn't really complained about anything (though she did mention it's annoying they swapped the side the pen is on).

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- GPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB
RAM: 32GB @ 4800 MTs

Storage: OEM 1TB M.2
Display: Main 1800p@120Hz OLED + Screnpad Plus 2880x864@120Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

Problem with the Note 20 Ultra is they appear to have vanished off some networks pages in the last few weeks

50 minutes ago, Nick980 said:

Currently running a Galaxy Note9 512GB, had it since launch and it’s been a great phone but is coming up 3 years old now and doesn't get OS updates anymore. My current sim only deal runs out next month, so the question is do I upgrade or carry for another year with the Note9? Condition wise the screen has a few scratches on it but not noticeable when the screen is on unless its black and the room is bright, paint on the frame is scuffed in places, I have replaced the battery and the back glass.

Biggest question for me is if I do upgrade what do I upgrade to? There is apparently no new Note coming this year and to be honest I'm growing tired of ads in all of Samsung's apps and the disjointed interaction between Samsung app's and Googles apps..

Really I'm tempted by the iPhone 12 Pro Max but I've had iPhones before and always found myself back on a Note device and no other Android phones excite me. I mainly use my phone for consuming media, playing games and streaming games from pc to phone, so a nice big display is a must. I'm sure IOS has moved on but not sure how well it integrates with Windows Your Phone. Also I'm easily influenced and could see myself getting sucked into the Apple life if I go back to iPhone. Would suck as I'm a PC gamer. Can't argue with 6-7 years of OS updates though

So at the moment the question is carry on with the Note9 for £10 a month, get a 12 Pro Max for £50 a month, wait for the iPhone 12s/13 later this year or does anyone have any alternative suggestions? Before anyone suggest the S21, it's ugly AF and no substitute for a Note phone

If you don't really use the pen and aren't too fussy about camera quality, you could spring for a OnePlus 9 or 9 Pro. Fast, should have decent support, and won't have those ads.

I'd suggest an iPhone, but 1. wait until September for the new models, if you can, and 2. Your Phone support isn't that great. Technically there is basic compatibility, but Microsoft really designed it with Android in mind and hasn't given iPhone users much help. It's a shame, because iPhone integration on the Mac is (unsurprisingly) outstanding. You can still find ways to sync data with an iPhone, of course — you just won't get perks like messages or notifications.

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting an iPhone and being a PC gamer. Steam Link is still an option, for instance. And it's no secret that mobile games are generally better on the iPhone, both in terms of performance and selection. And the iPhone 12 series is overall faster than Android phones, takes great photos (you won't have some mega-zoom lens, but that's about the only limit) and of course has that lengthy OS update support like you mentioned.