Motherboard Dead | Help picking new one!?

Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,
Just now, Mr Penguin said:

I have tried my CPU in a different system with my ram as well, I just double checked my ram without my 3700x and works fine as well, I agree that a socket dying is very unlikely but it can happen, the motherboard is known for being very hot underload what could be the possible cause to the socket dying but I am not sure, I don't run into this that often so I am bit in the dark. 

Just to clarify, your CPU and RAM work. If true, it's 99% your motherboard.

I don't advise the B450 DS3H as it's VRMs are lackluster, but the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F could be a good choice.

Link:

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/asus-rog-strix-b550-f-gam-wif/p/N82E16813119311?Description=b550-f&cm_re=b550-f-_-13-119-311-_-Product&quicklink=true

Motherboard Suggestions will be nice (£200 GBP aroundish can go higher if needed - planning on upgrading to 5000s in future)

CPU:3700x

Motherboard: MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Wifi (Known to run hot, got it for like £60 of a friend who never used it tho).

Hello, today I was just playing some games while watching netlix and my computer suddenly black screens, I looked inside the computer case and noticed that on my motherboard in the EZ Debug LEDS that the CPU was lit meaning it isn't detecting or it is dead (something a long those lines). At first I thought it might of Overheated but normally there is a Blue screen for that (I think). I left it to cool down and tried it about 10 minutes later and still nothing, just the Red LED, then I started to think if the mobo is dead or the socket at least as all fans are moving, gpu fans are on, (also chipset fan). I moved my CPU to my second PC to see if it was the CPU or mobo and it worked fine on my 2nd pc. I went back my main put it back in (reset bios/cmos as well) and still nothing. Is this due to a dead Socket? or could it be something else?

If it is the motherboard and it has died, any recommendations? I can spend around £200 (GBP)(can go a bit higher if needed)

Any information will help, if I am wrong about something please say as learning about these problems are very interesting to me.

Edit:

Also the case power buttons do not work (power button and cold restart).

Unfortunately, I think the socket died. You said your budget was around £200, I would recommend something like a Gigabyte B450 Ds3h v2 (what I use). Based on your pc specs, I'm assuming it will be good for you. It can run quad-channel DDR4, has one PCIe 16x, an 8x, and a 1x. It's compatible with a Ryzen 3700x as well, and is in the lower price range. It has served me well, but certainly double-check before purchasing it. Doesn't have built-in Wi-Fi or EZ Debug though, and probably not as good rear I/O. Not sure about the pricing in UK, but I got mine for around $65. Hope that helps, a dead CPU socket really sucks. 

Also I could be wrong, I'm not an expert lol

4 minutes ago, RGBoy said:

Unfortunately, I think the socket died. You said your budget was around £200, I would recommend something like a Gigabyte B450 Ds3h v2 (what I use). Based on your pc specs, I'm assuming it will be good for you. It can run quad-channel DDR4, has one PCIe 16x, an 8x, and a 1x. It's compatible with a Ryzen 3700x as well, and is in the lower price range. It has served me well, but certainly double-check before purchasing it. Doesn't have built-in Wi-Fi or EZ Debug though, and probably not as good rear I/O. Not sure about the pricing in UK, but I got mine for around $65. Hope that helps, a dead CPU socket really sucks. 

Also I could be wrong, I'm not an expert lol

Thanks for the response, I will look into the mobo. Not really interested in Wifi - I was looking into upgrading my CPU or GPU in the near future when stuff came back in stock but looks like it might be delayed a bit nw xd

I could wait until further releases like am5 etc but I am not looking for anything SUPER POWERFUL like the latest amd cpus and very good and will be for years and also I believe it is to be ddr5 only meaning I will have to upgrade even more what means moreee money, but idk haven't kept up lately with the news

20 minutes ago, RGBoy said:

It can run quad-channel DDR4

Nope. AM4 only supports dual-channel. RAM slot count is indifferent to RAM channel count.

Also, it's EXTREMELY rare for just a PGA CPU socket to die. Usually it's something else.

OP, if you get a new motherboard and your system still doesn't work, it's likely the CPU or RAM.

elephants

I would pull the cmos battery  and short the jumpers. Once that is done I would try booting with one stick. If it boots try with two..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

32 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Nope. AM4 only supports dual-channel. RAM slot count is indifferent to RAM channel count.

Also, it's EXTREMELY rare for just a PGA CPU socket to die. Usually it's something else.

OP, if you get a new motherboard and your system still doesn't work, it's likely the CPU or RAM.

I have tried my CPU in a different system with my ram as well, I just double checked my ram without my 3700x and works fine as well, I agree that a socket dying is very unlikely but it can happen, the motherboard is known for being very hot underload what could be the possible cause to the socket dying but I am not sure, I don't run into this that often so I am bit in the dark. 

Just now, Mr Penguin said:

Just to clarify, your CPU and RAM work. If true, it's 99% your motherboard.

I don't advise the B450 DS3H as it's VRMs are lackluster, but the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F could be a good choice.

Link:

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/asus-rog-strix-b550-f-gam-wif/p/N82E16813119311?Description=b550-f&cm_re=b550-f-_-13-119-311-_-Product&quicklink=true

elephants

2 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

good to know, I didn't realize. Thank you

5 hours ago, Mr Penguin said:

It's not the socket, it will be something ancillary like vrm or chipset. The socket is literally just plastic and pins. 

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

It's not the socket, it will be something ancillary like vrm or chipset. The socket is literally just plastic and pins. 

Yeah, I was thinking something a long those lines, I know the chipset ran hot most of the time underload and through testing so do the vrms. Thanks for the info tho', do you have any recommendations for a new motherboard? 

5 hours ago, Mr Penguin said:

Yeah, I was thinking something a long those lines, I know the chipset ran hot most of the time underload and through testing so do the vrms. Thanks for the info tho', do you have any recommendations for a new motherboard? 

I went with the msi B550 mortar based on buildzoid's recommendations. That was when 5000 chips just came out, so I am sure other boards have come out since then. I stand by my purchase. It runs cool and has been trouble free.