SATA data splitter - Is that a thing?

Garlic

I am building a system, and I need it to contain 3 HDDs in RAID 5 and two small SSDs to boot operating systems from. My problem is that my mobo is one SATA port short, and I am wondering if I can simply connect the SSDs to the same SATA port and be done with it? I’ll never need to use them both at the same anyway, but I need to be able to select which one to boot from at startup.

Is this a viable option?

I do not think so, I can search it right now however you could just get a PCIe to SATA adapter and connect them that way. I know most motherboards have 5-6 sata ports, is it not enough to just occupy them?

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

9 minutes ago, Garlic said:

I am wondering if I can simply connect the SSDs to the same SATA port and be done with it?

No. You should be looking into purchasing a used LSI RAID card from eBay along with a Mini SAS to SATA cable. I'd specifically recommend the 9207-8i or 9211-4i/8i. If you're planning on using a software RAID, you'll want a card flashed to IT mode.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

they exist, but they depend on the support of your sata controller.. which just about none do.

on the flip side, there's two other options:

- a cheap sata card, like this one: https://www.delock.com/produkte/1117_SATA---eSATA/89270/merkmale.html

- run one of the disks off a usb 3.0 to sata adapter. it's not ideal, but ti defenately works.

This PCI Card might do what you want it to, for $25 USD

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

There's port multipliers, which convert 1 sata port into 5 sata ports, usually.  The SATA controller needs to support port multipliers, and you get reduced speed on all 5 sata ports, because they all share the bandwidth of that sata port (560 MB/s split into 5)

May be cheaper to buy a separate sata controller card and plug it into a pci-e x1 or higher slot.

Another option would be to buy a sata to usb adapter ... and keep the drive external connected to usb.

A PCIe x1 to SATA card looks like it will do just what I need 👍🏻 I have already ordered the Delock one, it will fit my SFF case nicely.

Thank you for your help.