This is NOT a TV - Epson EpiqVision LS500

James

Buy Epson EpiqVision Ultra LS500 Laser Projector (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/03Xy

This Ultra Short Throw (UST) projector comes with an ambient light rejecting (ALR) screen in a configuration Epson calls "laser TV". But can it compete with an OLED for movie watching and Gaming?

These short throw projectors are really cool. Wish I could get one for my desk to throw up an image on the wall behind my computer monitor. If only they weren't so ridiculously expensive...

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 hour ago, James said:

~SNIP~

"looks like a Tv "

Immediately i said to myself .."no ..no it does not.. because it looks washed out ..thats gotta be a projector... probably a short throw projector judging by your positioning and camera location".

Go figure ..it was 😛

Projectors Achillees heel is always going to be black levels and contrast. A shame ..they have their uses for sure, but for home use a TV is almost always better.

As for price, this projector is what ..$4000-$5000 USD / CAD

If im not mistaken the 77" A1 OLED is ~ $3200 USD , and the 83" C1 OLED is $6000

Not 100" by any means but still.

And you can get 85" Samsung QLEDs for less.

I dont think its unreasonable to sacrifice 15"-23" for far better image quality, and 120hz capability ...and VRR..and possibly even a cheaper price.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Laser projector huh.

Well to no one's surprise enterprise get it first.

Epson has been making laser projectors for awhile example my high school got renovated like 3 years ago and has them.

IMG_20210527_151842.thumb.jpg.87279523f4f837a7815b298113a6155f.jpg

The problem with them is that the bulbs are really hard to replace.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, xnamkcor said:

My projector was 3 USD. Beat that.

I got mine for free 😛 

This projector isn't native 4K, it uses pixel shifting to emulate that resolution with a 1920 x 1080 base resolution.  This is a step backward from their previous efforts which would use approximately a 2560 x 1600 native LCD prior to shifting. Epson sold this as '4K enhancement' previously and was what I'd call more honest in terms of market vs. other projector manufacturers whom would just list 4k/UHD resolution support without an asterisk.  This explains the blurry text mentioned in the video and why 120 Hz support isn't there at full resolution.

The screen as you'd expect isn't manufactured by Epson.  It looks like a Draper unit to me if I had to guess but it could also be a Da-Lite unit that was just rebranded. 

While this projector can likely get away with it due to the likelihood of physically being close to its sources, it would have been nice to see a HDbaseT video input.  This permits running a shielded CAT6A cable upwards of 100 meters away to the projector's source.  

It is designed to be on the ground/floor/stand, it likely can be ceiling mounted at well.  However, the screen's ambient light rejection likely does not work in this scenario.  Think about it, the screen rejects light except coming except for those coming from the same angle as the projector down below.  Ceiling mounting it woudl put the projector above and in an idea that'd be rejected.  Rotating the screen wouldn't help either as while that would put it permit the projector's light to pass, it'd also likely permit various ceiling lights to wash out the projector's own.   Not really a knock on the product as this is the just the physics involved for an edge use-case but some commentary on this point would have been nice.  Easily enough to use a different screen which open up things like stacking/blending units together to increase brightness.  Bonus if this projector also supported EPPT which allows for greater blending controls and warp so if you wanted to run it on a curved screen.

1. You're wearing your masks backwards
  2. It would be nice if you specified the amount of spyware loaded on 'smart' TVs (and projectors) you review. Would make for a good Glasswire sponsor spot, eh?