Water Cooling an Air Cooler

AlexTheGreatish

Enctec made this motherboard for passive cooling applications, but we has a different idea...

Check out Enctec: https://www.enctec.com.tw/rev-主機板

Buy Intel i7-6700K CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/BL8j7Z

Buy Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/JisS

Buy G.SKILL Trident Z Royal RAM (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/NAm4i

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

17 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Enctec made this motherboard for passive cooling applications, but we has a different idea...

Check out Enctec: https://www.enctec.com.tw/rev-主機板

Buy Intel i7-6700K CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/BL8j7Z

Buy Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/JisS

Buy G.SKILL Trident Z Royal RAM (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/NAm4i

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Linus seems to be they type of person who would water cool an air cooler.

But these types of weird vids are why I keep coming back to this channel

I recall GN Steve doing a video on this, like ages ago :old-eyeroll:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

They could have really used some Kapton Tape to help cover the back of the motherboard.

They need to take it to the end zone of a stupid question that periodically gets asked around here: encase the heatsink with a plexiglass box + silicone and put some water fittings on it.  Turn an aircooler into a waterblock.  (it's a stupid question because it's more efficient to buy a waterblock that does this in less space and less leaky)

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

38 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

~~SNIP~~

Im sure you already know about this but if not, perhaps get in contact for some help or just general feedback on how he did it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Pretty sure reason behind why that motherboard didnt come with CR2032 is because air freight does not accept any sort of batteries without any protection.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I'm pretty sure if it's designed for use in harsh environments the PCB would be conformal coated and come with an IP rating, since dust can be just as electrically conductive as water on contact. Unfortunately this thing doesn't even have a proper spec sheet to refer to, and I'm guessing you guys didn't even bother checking if the board was conformal coated.

Ironically, I'd like to see an actual use case where these are deployed, since you can also get ruggedized server racks that perform essentially the same task, using off-the-shelf servers. I'm thinking these are for deployment right on the assembly line or inspection station - somewhere a huge server rack wouldn't fit. But I am more puzzled by what they do to keep the other components attached to the motherboard protected. Do they pick a passive GPU to connect to the monitor? Is the PSU fanless as well? Are these add-ons conformal coated parts? Are the cables ruggedized and ports protected? Is the environment ever cleaned where it's deployed? What case does this actually work in?

It's more than just chucking a big passive heatsink on a CPU for an entire system to remain working in an environment where people would be required to wear masks/eye/face/head protection for example.

I really want to see a swimming pool as a custom loop tank. I mean, it would get sooo much time to warm up, all while the pool enormous surface would disperses this small amount of heat into the air. The only problem I can see with that is corrosion. You can't put anti-corrosive stuff in there I guess, as the pool must remain usable for swimming in it. Maybe filtering the intake would help, I don't know.

Edit: yeah I know some people did videos about this, but it was just like for a couple hours or so. What I'm thinking about would be a long term viable solution.

BIG passive cooler.. One day i'd want that on my own r5 3600 or 2080s.. one day.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

On 5/22/2021 at 4:54 PM, Luscious said:

I'm pretty sure if it's designed for use in harsh environments the PCB would be conformal coated and come with an IP rating, since dust can be just as electrically conductive as water on contact. Unfortunately this thing doesn't even have a proper spec sheet to refer to, and I'm guessing you guys didn't even bother checking if the board was conformal coated.

Ironically, I'd like to see an actual use case where these are deployed, since you can also get ruggedized server racks that perform essentially the same task, using off-the-shelf servers. I'm thinking these are for deployment right on the assembly line or inspection station - somewhere a huge server rack wouldn't fit. But I am more puzzled by what they do to keep the other components attached to the motherboard protected. Do they pick a passive GPU to connect to the monitor? Is the PSU fanless as well? Are these add-ons conformal coated parts? Are the cables ruggedized and ports protected? Is the environment ever cleaned where it's deployed? What case does this actually work in?

It's more than just chucking a big passive heatsink on a CPU for an entire system to remain working in an environment where people would be required to wear masks/eye/face/head protection for example.

image.png

This is what the system looks like, although the "Learn More" doesn't go anywhere.

Yeah they're inside the chassis of the equipment. In machines like these.

what about water or oil submersion of a water coolers block. Got to be some gains for 120 and 240mm radiators. Like if they were attached to a 5900x or 5950x which they aren't recommended for.

Ok, so this is where I feel like I have a stick up my ass, but you need to be called out on it.

LMG, this video shows acts which carry significant danger in an incredibly irresponsible and idiotic manner and its not the first time (re: watercooling with an automotive grade radiator).

There is no safety disclaimer.

There is no controlled environment.

There is no regard shown for occupational health and workplace safety legislation in your country/location.

There is no dissuading event shown or advice given which would stop certain sections of your audience from attempting to replicate what they are seeing.

I enjoy seeing experimental cooling solutions, but it needs to be properly planned and executed. Linus, I know that your attention and concentration is divided whilst filming (the number of things you've dropped attest to this) so please do not 'take action' and 'present' all at once, there is a reason we don't see Alex running the mill and chatting at the camera at the same time. This is not the sort of thing that can be bashed out in a 20 minute filming session.

I do not know if what you are showing is real (is the pc actually plugged in etc) or if you have it running through a sensitive electrical isolation circuit (or if you ran this content through any kind of risk assessment, I doubt it).

We know that there are idiots out there that will imitate your actions and content, for the sake of avoiding culpability please stop doing stupid shit like this.

p.s this video exemplifies the 'Harmful or dangerous acts' response on Youtube's 'Report' button.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn those mobos are all out of stock.

Really liked his video, these make for cool project builds 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3