Are rx480s still worth buying?

The Real LWK

I found a few in a Singapore tech parts shop in funan it mall all brand new in box in the clearance bin. $219 each

Look to the left, slap from the right, look to the right, slap from the left, look up, kick down low, look down low, uppercut to the head. 

Congrats I've been knocked out. 

Spoiler

CoolerMaster NR400, Ryzen 7 5800x, Asus TUF gaming b550m plus WiFi, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro Rgb 3200mhz 16gb cl16 (8gb x 2),Asus ROG Strix gaming Vega 56 12gb,Crucial P1 nvme 1tb m.2 ssd, Crucial Mx 500 2tb sata ssd x 2, Seasonic Focus Plus 750w 80+ Gold. 

Depends on what you want to do with it, I have an RX580 8gb (basically the same thing) and it's good for 1080p mid to high settings. I paid $170 USD for mine on ebay and that was hardly a deal at the beginning of 2020

30 minutes ago, The Real LWK said:

I found a few in a Singapore tech parts shop in funan it mall all brand new in box in the clearance bin. $219 each

Currently got a XFX RS RX 480 myself, and while its the MOST shittiest model of them all and it IS dying on me, it has been a "great" card whilst gaming. I can take on 1080p games at mid/high settings. And with the fact that the GPU prices is HIGH AF rn, id say its an good deal if its one of the better models released. Do you happen to know which one it is? Manufacturer? Model name? Vram size? or do they just give you the bare minimum info? I bought mine used for about half of that about a year or two ago. 

And as @FlpDaMattress stated above, there is absolutely no difference between a rx 480 - 580 and 470-570 except higher TDP and a SLIGHT clock speed increase. So while a 580 can go for loads of money, you can still get almost the same performance but for a cheaper price.

Tho id like to get my hands on something new too, as i keep getting either VBIOS or Driver crashes doing legit nothing. But money is a problem.

3 hours ago, The Real LWK said:

2 hours ago, DankDeuxez said:

Currently got a XFX RS RX 480 myself, and while its the MOST shittiest model of them all and it IS dying on me, it has been a "great" card whilst gaming. I can take on 1080p games at mid/high settings. And with the fact that the GPU prices is HIGH AF rn, id say its an good deal if its one of the better models released. Do you happen to know which one it is? Manufacturer? Model name? Vram size? or do they just give you the bare minimum info? I bought mine used for about half of that about a year or two ago. 

And as @FlpDaMattress stated above, there is absolutely no difference between a rx 480 - 580 and 470-570 except higher TDP and a SLIGHT clock speed increase. So while a 580 can go for loads of money, you can still get almost the same performance but for a cheaper price.

Tho id like to get my hands on something new too, as i keep getting either VBIOS or Driver crashes doing legit nothing. But money is a problem.

I was planning to get one for a friend to replace his gtx 750ti for his birthday gift. 

Look to the left, slap from the right, look to the right, slap from the left, look up, kick down low, look down low, uppercut to the head. 

Spoiler

CoolerMaster NR400, Ryzen 7 5800x, Asus TUF gaming b550m plus WiFi, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro Rgb 3200mhz 16gb cl16 (8gb x 2),Asus ROG Strix gaming Vega 56 12gb,Crucial P1 nvme 1tb m.2 ssd, Crucial Mx 500 2tb sata ssd x 2, Seasonic Focus Plus 750w 80+ Gold. 

1 hour ago, The Real LWK said:

I was planning to get one for a friend to replace his gtx 750ti for his birthday gift. 

Thats amazing! But do you happen to know which model it is? Could be one of their worst models, or it could be one of the better models. I would be great to know which one it is before you buy.

14 hours ago, DankDeuxez said:

Thats amazing! But do you happen to know which model it is? Could be one of their worst models, or it could be one of the better models. I would be great to know which one it is before you buy.

Sapphire rx 480 nitro + 8gb.

Is this a bad model? 

Spoiler

Just because there are new cards doesnt make old ones suddenly bad, its a mid range card and is still a midrange card imo, because games didnt advance that much or at all (yes theres always outliers like cyberpunk, and thats cool and all but not the norm)

22 minutes ago, The Real LWK said:

Is this a bad model? 

Sapphire is supposed to be good, should have good cooling at least, and 8GB is also good.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, The Real LWK said:

Is this a bad model? 

sapphire is AMDs "own" brand. They dont really own them but its the company that made all their refrence card designs, they kinda work togethere. And yes thats one of the best models you can get. And even better is the fact that its a 8gb model. Those are REALLY hard to find for a decent price because of miners etc. Most of them goes for $300+ on the USED market just because of all the vram. Thats a GREAT find!

3 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

sapphire is AMDs "own" brand. They dont really own them but its the company that made all their refrence card designs, they kinda work togethere. And yes thats one of the best models you can get. And even better is the fact that its a 8gb model. Those are REALLY hard to find for a decent price because of miners etc. Most of them goes for $300+ on the USED market just because of all the vram. Thats a GREAT find!

I'll pick 1 up then, the shop still had 3 in stock. Well 2 left I hope a fellow gamer picks one up and not a scalper

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, The Real LWK said:

I'll pick 1 up then, the shop still had 3 in stock. Well 2 left I hope a fellow gamer picks one up and not a scalper

Sounds great man! Im still a bit confused of to how low prices they have. I mean most 8gb models go for 300+ USED. Im guessing these are either refurbished or brand new. Either way, its a steal right now. You could probably sell it to get even more money for a better card, but id just stay at this one for now.

If they are cheap its a great card for 1080p . To this day gets all of the stuff from amd drivers . 

4 hours ago, DankDeuxez said:

Sounds great man! Im still a bit confused of to how low prices they have. I mean most 8gb models go for 300+ USED. Im guessing these are either refurbished or brand new. Either way, its a steal right now. You could probably sell it to get even more money for a better card, but id just stay at this one for now.

It's brand new, I only took one cause linus said too many scalpers out there I'm a fellow gamer too I want other gamers to haf a chance to have a gpu. I got a brand new 5700 from a fellow friend for under retail price too. Let's be fair too some other gamers can't get better gpu cause they're overpriced. If there are 2 out there it's 2 more out there for sg gamers. 

Spoiler

On 5/18/2021 at 5:59 AM, The Real LWK said:

Oh my god I got my RX580 to replace my 750ti too lmao. great little card, aged like wine

On 5/18/2021 at 12:44 AM, The Real LWK said:

If that's an 8 GB card, that's a STEAL of a price considering the current market.  Like, if someone needs a video card and they are on a Kepler or older, or a HD 7970 or older with less than 8 GB, like BUY that card.

if that's 4 GB, well, not so great anymore.

Just for reference, a RX 480 8 GB is only slightly slower than an AMD R9 290X video card.  And most models of the 290X were 4 GB  (8 GB models came later).