Is 650w enough for a 3900x and 3070?

xdeathshot20

So my friend is upgrading his GPU to a 3070.  He has a 650w psu in there now with a 3900x.  Neither the cpu nor GPU will be overclocked.  Do you think that 650w is enough or does he need to get a new psu?  Thanks

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

which 650w? (and for the love of everything holy dont just say something like "its a evga one" or "its a corsair one" say the modle!)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

So my friend is upgrading his GPU to a 3070.  He has a 650w psu in there now with a 3900x.  Neither the cpu nor GPU will be overclocked.  Do you think that 650w is enough or does he need to get a new psu?  Thanks

Get a 700w or +
RTX 3000 tends to spike way higher than before, that might make your pc go black in an instant

10 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

Strictly from power recommendations from manufacturers, it meets the 'minimum requirement.'  In the real-world, A pc with the 3900x and a 3070 probably won't suck up more than 400w stock. However, in the real-world, theoretical power output isn't the only concern. Please answer @HelpfulTechWizard's question. Your psu will need to deal with transient spikes.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

8 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

which 650w? (and for the love of everything holy dont just say something like "its a evga one" or "its a corsair one" say the modle!)

It's that EVGA one with the model # thats large, or something 😆

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's that EVGA one with the model # thats large, or something 😆

you laugh but thats what i get half of the time when i dotn specify it.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

you laugh but thats what i get half of the time when i dotn specify it.

I know, I see it all the time here....

no one reads the stickys about how to properly ask for help either.

Just part of visiting forums I guess.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I get it all the time as well when I'm answering.  People give a very vague description of what parts they have.  I believe the power supply in his unit is a powerspec 650w 80+ gold.  It is microcenters in house brand of power supplys. I have built a few systems with them in it and they work really well for the price.

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

1 minute ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

I would get a decent 750w for that scenario.

1 minute ago, S.Hamed23 said:

Get a 700w or +
RTX 3000 tends to spike way higher than before, that might make your pc go black in an instant

Not necessary a lot of the time. If you want to be abundantly cautious, This isn't a bad practice, not nearly. However, It isn't required. For example, Optimum tech was able to run a 10900k @ 5.1ghz with 1.3v running through it, and 3080 TUF OC while playing Battlefield V at 4k high settings... On an sf600, without tripping the OPP due to transient spikes. Of course, that wasn't full-load, but it was fairly close on the GPU, and the 10900k draws massive amounts of power over TDP when overclocked like this. My point is that it isn't strictly necessary, and you can be totally fine without accounting for transient spikes. It will depend on the PSU, the model of which OP will hopefully provide. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

4 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

I get it all the time as well when I'm answering.  People give a very vague description of what parts they have.  I believe the power supply in his unit is a powerspec 650w 80+ gold.  It is microcenters in house brand of power supplys. I have built a few systems with them in it and they work really well for the price.

powerspec ones range from "fine" to "terrible" none of them seems to be great.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Strictly speaking, he doesn’t have to upgrade, but I would highly recommend upgrading.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

8 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

Okay, let me get this out of the way: My knowledge about this PSU is quite limited, my advice may not be totally correct. Moving on:

Minimum recommended system power for an rtx 3070 is 650w from Nvidia. This probably accounts for transient spikes in some shape or form. Now, I beileve that the powerspec psu that you mentioned uses an OEM for the actual unit, I can't provide anything else about that. In other words, I'm dubious about the quality of the PSU. However, it IS rated for OPP and has critical power protection ratings- at least in theory, from Microcenter's claims. I wouldn't imagine that they're lying, most likely. However, I haven't found a source that independently validates that, lol, mostly because I didn't do a ton of research about it. I would suggest that you guys try it out and see if say, the OPP trips under full cpu+gpu load. If it does, I'd probably recommend getting a new PSU, my recommendation would be the Enermax revolution D.F 850, should be $130 USD. If it doesn't, you still might want to keep upgrading in mind, it wouldn't be nearly a bad idea.

13 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

This probably accounts for transient spikes in some shape or form.

not really.

many 650ws are no where near good enough for the 3070s.

id say, get a 750w+ the rm750x is great for it.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

not really.

many 650ws are no where near good enough for the 3070s.

id say, get a 750w+ the rm750x is great for it.

When did I ever say that all 650ws could deal with the transient spikes? I didn't say that, I was very careful to laminate that that wasn't the case. 

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Now, I beileve that the powerspec psu that you mentioned uses an OEM

Well, yeah. All PSUs have an OEM

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

However, it IS rated for OPP

What does this even mean, and how is the presence of OPP relevant? All modern PSUs have OPP...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

8 minutes ago, Elisis said:

What does this even mean, and how is the presence of OPP relevant?

Pointing it out in case that OP was concerned that he could damage his components with a 650w. 

All modern PSUs have OPP...

*virtually.

6 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Pointing it out in case that OP was concerned that he could damage his components with a 650w. 

Having OPP does not guard against spectacular failure. E.g. P-GM

6 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

*virtually.

Name one modern PSU that does not have OPP.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler