New 5600X system extreme framedrops and terrible performance

Princess

Hello. I've been getting massive frametime drops and frame drops in general. My old system was an i7-7700k + z170k + 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum CL15 at 3000MHz in a 2*8GB configuration.

Last night, I upgraded to an AMD 5600X + an X570-F, alongside a 16-18-18-18-36 3200MHz kit running in a 4*8GB configuration. I'm getting better RAM later on, but for now, that's the best I could source locally. 

I'm running a GTX 1080.

Whatever game I play, from League of Legends to Valorant to Destiny 2, I get these terrible frame drops. The game is running at really high FPS, and then it just starts stuttering. Overall, I'm getting sluggish performance at the most random of times; HWMonitor takes a good minute to boot, it's actually just a white screen.
The CPU and GPU usage is all over the place. It goes from 0 to 100 and then back to 0, and then back over again. The frames drop in 100's in a single instance, and I don't... quite know how to fix it.

My GPU also seems to be hitting 92C while at 20% load, which... it never did before. I'm playing League, and it hits those temps. Like, the GPU is fully spinning and coil whining, whereas in my old system, that would never happen. 

I'm genuinely at a loss. I've had a few breakdowns today because of this, I'm hoping someone can offer some sort of solution. 

Have you tried with just 2x8GB memory modules? Make sure you pull the extra 2 sticks from the appropriate DIMM slots. Have you also tried to update the BIOS to the latest non-Beta BIOS? This can help improve memory stability and configurations. 

Did you reuse the same SSD from your previous system? Make sure you clear any drivers related from the old motherboard and install the appropriate drivers from the motherboard's support page. Did you use DDU to nuke the graphics drivers and do a reinstall? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

7 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Make sure you clear any drivers related from the old motherboard and install the appropriate drivers from the motherboard's support page.

Agree here, the X570 motherboard chipset drivers and if you didn't do a complete fresh install of windows i would start there.

18 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Have you tried with just 2x8GB memory modules? Make sure you pull the extra 2 sticks from the appropriate DIMM slots. Have you also tried to update the BIOS to the latest non-Beta BIOS? This can help improve memory stability and configurations. 

Did you reuse the same SSD from your previous system? Make sure you clear any drivers related from the old motherboard and install the appropriate drivers from the motherboard's support page. Did you use DDU to nuke the graphics drivers and do a reinstall? 

7 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Agree here, the X570 motherboard chipset drivers and if you didn't do a complete fresh install of windows i would start there.

I did a full wipe of the drive I had Windows on, and the very first thing I did was update the BIOS. 

I've solved half the issue, and it was... idiotic of me. I had a little GPU sag lift thingy, and it blocked the fan in my current case. Games are running absolutely fine with capped framerates now, but that's the second half of my issue. 

I'm hitting 400-800 FPS in Valorant/League with 50-60% usage, however it seems to be stuttering quite a bit. Moving left-right in League has my champion essentially teleporting left and right (for the first minute or so of the game, and then the FPS drops to 300 and it becomes stable). They're not really half-second pauses, but little stutters that are just there enough to notice. 

Is there any workaround for that?

EDIT: Additionally, on top of that, tabbing out of the game seems to sort of put it on low priority and drop it to 30 FPS, and it stutters juuuuust a bit when I tab back in (even with capped framerate). I dunno if that's also related? 

stutters from alt tabbing, can be related to engine or the game, or anti-cheat? And fps difference if lowered when minimized or alt tabbed.

Some might not handle or capped at an FPS mark but shouldn't really be an issue.

Have you tried different V-sync options, from ingame to Nvidia control panel?

Could also be something happening else where, either internet drop/lag/ping or something else.

7 minutes ago, Princess said:

I did a full wipe of the drive I had Windows on, and the very first thing I did was update the BIOS. 

I've solved half the issue, and it was... idiotic of me. I had a little GPU sag lift thingy, and it blocked the fan in my current case. Games are running absolutely fine with capped framerates now, but that's the second half of my issue. 

I'm hitting 400-800 FPS in Valorant/League with 50-60% usage, however it seems to be stuttering quite a bit. Moving left-right in League has my champion essentially teleporting left and right (for the first minute or so of the game, and then the FPS drops to 300 and it becomes stable). They're not really half-second pauses, but little stutters that are just there enough to notice. 

Is there any workaround for that?

EDIT: Additionally, on top of that, tabbing out of the game seems to sort of put it on low priority and drop it to 30 FPS, and it stutters juuuuust a bit when I tab back in (even with capped framerate). I dunno if that's also related? 

Alright, that's pretty good discovering that fan problem. Have you tried to reinstall the drivers to see if the stutter issue resolves itself? 

That appears to happen when you reenter a game. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"