Laptop Doesn't Perform as well as LTT Review

Go to solution Solved by Tan3l6,
16 minutes ago, Yahoo Mama said:

It should really only depend on the CPU, since the iGPU is where the performance is coming from. They showed either a 4500U or 5500U, and the cost was about the same as what was reported.

Erm, maybe it was an error, as 4500U gets around 2500 points in Fire Strike - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/22329061

I recently purchased an HP Envy x360 in part because of the review from LTT (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3uB12mRrU) where the performance in 3D Mark Time Spy was reported at 2405. This edged out my decision to go with something with an entry-level GPU, since that performance is a little faster than a 760, which was my first ever desktop GPU and something I'd happily take the performance of in a laptop.

I was very disappointed to find out that my unit didn't even get half of that performance, getting 1100 in the same test. Technically they're not the same model, but the specs are similar enough that it should make no difference (the differences are: mine is the 15 inch model and uses a 5500U instead of a 4500U. I can't imagine either of those having a negative impact). The device is in performance mode, so that's not the issue.

I can't imagine LTT lying about it, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a mistake. That said though, even if its not intentional, its still disappointing.

EDIT: They might've been using the Fire Strike benchmark. Still not good but at least I know where the number's coming from.

LTT-Thingy.png

TimeSpyEnvyNew.png

"I'd put a quote here but I don't wanna look pretentious."

--Yahoo Mama

I also found another score online for a 4500u at 1042 (https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18161386) so it looks like its not just me. Pretty sure the chip just doesn't perform as well as reported in the video.

--Yahoo Mama

Both the review and my unit are. The laptop is integrated GPU only.

--Yahoo Mama

How about power options in Windoows? Set to balanced or lower?

Also different integrated graphics perform differently.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Yahoo Mama said:

Both the review and my unit are. The laptop is integrated GPU only.

oh ok i'm sorry was thinking out loud 🙂

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

How about power options in Windoows? Set to balanced or lower?

All on highest.

--Yahoo Mama

I just checked the video and checked out a few websites. I think what you're seeing on the charts might be CPU scores of Time Spy, not GPU. Linus was talking about Intel/AMD so their emphasis on that part of the video was processors.

3 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

I just checked the video and checked out a few websites. I think what you're seeing on the charts might be CPU scores of Time Spy, not GPU. Linus was talking about Intel/AMD so their emphasis on that part of the video was processors.

CPU score would indeed make sense, since you now have 12 threads with the 5500U and 6 threads with the 4500U.

8 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

I doubt it , Linus states that "Time Spy score is... "

I rather suspect there is a performance gap between different  HP Envy x360 models.

Maybe OP would clarify which model they bought? @Yahoo Mama

Edit: actaully the difference is bigger than would be if just a better iGPU was the case.

19 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I doubt it , Linus states that "Time Spy score is... "

I rather suspect there is a performance gap between different  HP Envy x360 models.

Maybe OP would clarify which model they bought? @Yahoo Mama

Edit: actaully the difference is bigger than would be if just a better iGPU was the case.

This is the one I have https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-nightfall-black/6453188.p?skuId=6453188

And yeah, that performance gap is large relative to what I would expect. Unless they crippled the iGPU on this new model.

--Yahoo Mama

24 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

The CPU score I got on that was about 5000, and that wouldn't make sense either. I doubt AMD literally doubled their CPU performance from the 4500u to the 5500u.

--Yahoo Mama

15 minutes ago, Xalciodra said:

They are different but 1800MHz is greater than 1500MHz. I would expect mine to be faster.

Granted there might be other disparities, maybe core count or IPC is different, but it would be very strange for AMD to release a slower iGPU in a newer chip.

--Yahoo Mama

Vega 7 iGPU would never reach such high graphics score (2000+)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

27 minutes ago, Naijin said:

CPU score would indeed make sense, since you now have 12 threads with the 5500U and 6 threads with the 4500U.

Thread count doubling doesn't usually double performance. You get maybe more efficient use of the cores you do have but not much more. It also wouldn't make sense for them to have shown another member of staff curling a GPU if they were talking about CPU.

Additionally, this score (https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18161386) for the 4500U has a CPU score of 4183, so that would be way too low if the ~2500 number on the video was correct.

--Yahoo Mama

39 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

But there are so-so many configurations, of course cheaper performe worse - https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/mdp/laptops/envy-x360-204075--1#!&tab=vao

$700-1250 range is quite wide.

It should really only depend on the CPU, since the iGPU is where the performance is coming from. They showed either a 4500U or 5500U, and the cost was about the same as what was reported.

--Yahoo Mama

16 minutes ago, Yahoo Mama said:

Erm, maybe it was an error, as 4500U gets around 2500 points in Fire Strike - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/22329061

Hope i didn't miss the Information but was your Laptop plugged in during the Benchmark?

15 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

That's probably what it was. Its not the end of the world, but it is disappointing compared to what I expected.

Its still 3x higher than my old laptop in GPU and 5x faster in CPU, so I should be happy for the improvement, but ya know, loss aversion and all.

--Yahoo Mama