best 5 inch monitor for canon m50

Hello, I was filming the beach and I thought I had good focus even with red dots but it was so windy and cold I couldn't focus on it so I failed focus. Here it isimage.thumb.png.ffea6a3e3620f58944c671cdd2edd6f5.png

You hate to see a cool shot ruined so I want to get a bigger monitor so I can nail focus but not look stupid while having it on my canon m50

I dont see a beach in the shot, perhaps you just don't have enough depth of field. Also not sure what wind and temperature has much to do with focusing (especially focusing on infinity)

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

I dont see a beach in the shot, perhaps you just don't have enough depth of field. Also not sure what wind and temperature has much to do with focusing (especially focusing on infinity)

I didn't want a beach in there and it said my focus was on that boat at f5.6

Just now, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I didn't want a beach in there and it said my focus was on that boat at f5.6

A) The boat is moving, was your shutter speed fast enough to actually freeze the motion? (e.g. 1/800th)

B) It probably did actually focus on it, but you need to confirm manually if you really care about being tack sharp, can't just rely on automatic mechanisms by default

Just now, For Science! said:

A) The boat is moving, was your shutter speed fast enough to actually freeze the motion? (e.g. 1/800th)

B) It probably did actually focus on it, but you need to confirm manually if you really care about being tack sharp, can't just rely on automatic mechanisms by default

it was a video

1 minute ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

it was a video

and yes I followed the boat with focus peaking (4k doesnt have good af so I used mf)

it was a video

so? same rules apply. If you were shooting for 60 fps and using 1/125th of course there will be motion blur in the single frame. That's the point of video to make it look not jittery.

so? same rules apply. If you were shooting for 60 fps and using 1/125th of course there will be motion blur in the single frame. That's the point of video to make it look not jittery.

24p 50/s

24p 50/s

and on top the video isnt motion blurry

6 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

and on top the video isnt motion blurry

You cannot take a frame out of a video and expect it to have the properties of a good single photo. Sure, the video isn't "motion blurry" because you watch it as a video, but 1/50th is not enough to freeze action, even of ordinary moving humans.

If you study even a little bit about framerates used in cinematography, you will know that 24 fps with 1/50th shutter speed is used to introduce motion blur that appears natural to the eye (or more like to adhere to standards set by hollywood). So your video does have motion blue, period, and you actually need it to make a natural looking video.

You cannot take a frame out of a video and expect it to have the properties of a good single photo. Sure, the video isn't "motion blurry" because you watch it as a video, but 1/50th is not enough to freeze action, even of ordinary moving humans.

If you study even a little bit about framerates used in cinematography, you will know that 24 fps with 1/50th shutter speed is used to introduce motion blur that appears natural to the eye (or more like to adhere to standards set by hollywood). 

your saying its the frame rate not my focus?

your saying its the frame rate not my focus?

I'm saying its a frame taken out of a video vs an actual photo. The things that will come into play just off the top of my head:

- Shutter speed

- Compression

- Resolution

If you want a nice single frame, don't be lazy, take an actual photograph.

I'm saying its a frame taken out of a video vs an actual photo. The things that will come into play just off the top of my head:

- Shutter speed

- Compression

- Resolution

If you want a nice single frame, don't be lazy, take an actual photograph.

I didn't I wanted to have a video. But the video was 98mb and I just had to take a frame to show the video focus.

3 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I didn't I wanted to have a video. But the video was 98mb and I just had to take a frame to show the video focus.

Sorry, don't understand you. If you didn't want to have a video, just don't take a video? 98 MB is nothing even if it was 98 GB it is still well within the comforts of a standard SD card these days? And if you want to assess focus, you can always zoom in 10x in live view and see if its sharp by eye.

Sorry, don't understand you. If you didn't want to have a video, just don't take a video? 98 MB is nothing? And if you want to assess focus, you can always zoom in 10x in live view and see if its sharp by eye.

yea. Ive gotta check my focus because sadly I dont live at that place to I cant go back there every second.

yea. Ive gotta check my focus because sadly I dont live at that place to I cant go back there every second.

....okay?  having a larger monitoring screen will make focus pulling easier, but it won't compensate for poor techniques and practices. 

At this point I have no idea what you are actually trying to achieve, but wish you luck and hope you will be able to learn more going forward.

....okay?  having a larger monitoring screen will make focus pulling easier, but it won't compensate for poor techniques and practices. 

At this point I have no idea what you are actually trying to achieve, but wish you luck and hope you will be able to learn more going forward.

im just trying to achieve soothing sounds and cinematography of the beach and waves

3 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

im just trying to achieve soothing sounds and cinematography of the beach and waves

Instead of the technical aspects, I think you need to work on the lighting and general timing of your shots. It currently looks washed out, releatively monotone, and overall a bit drab. Being there not on a overcast day and being there sunset/sunrise would probably get your more interesting colors. At the moment it really just looks like "I rocked up on a beach one day after work and decided to press record on my camera". 

Also half of a video is audio, so make sure you aren't using on-board microphone to record the sound. Especially on a beach with lots of wind you gotta be careful capturing high quality audio, and you may even have to composite audio from different days and times if the conditions are not right. Thankfully sound of the waves are relatively consistent so you can probably do it.

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

Instead of the technical aspects, I think you need to work on the lighting and general timing of your shots. It currently looks washed out, releatively monotone, and overall a bit drab. Being there not on a overcast day and being there sunset/sunrise would probably get your more interesting colors. At the moment it really just looks like "I rocked up on a beach one day after work and decided to press record on my camera". 

Also half of a video is audio, so make sure you aren't using on-board microphone to record the sound. Especially on a beach with lots of wind you gotta be careful capturing high quality audio, and you may even have to composite audio from different days and times if the conditions are not right. Thankfully sound of the waves are relatively consistent so you can probably do it.

I was using a video micro thats all I had.

budget and location?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Does the job just fine..

no it isnt.  this is why when we need to find audio like ocean and wave sounds we license them from stock sources or we send an audio person who has his own set of mics and recording setup for this work.  even audio recorder like a zoom h1n with a windscreen will record better audio of ocean sounds than a rode videomic recording to a dslr

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

34 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

no it isnt.  this is why when we need to find audio like ocean and wave sounds we license them from stock sources or we send an audio person who has his own set of mics and recording setup for this work.  even audio recorder like a zoom h1n with a windscreen will record better audio of ocean sounds than a rode videomic recording to a dslr

.Its my personal use.

6 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

budget and location?

I just went to the beach on a holiday

I just went to the beach on a holiday

I'm not doing this professionally.