Do I need to purchase an antivirus for a Dell Desktop PC?

Go to solution Solved by soilovelinustechtips,

N

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No, it's not. Windows 10 does have a built-in antivirus which is perfectly adequate for most people. That said, if you decide that you want a separate antivirus, avoid buying Norton.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Hello! I am buying a Dell PC (desktop) and I need to know if purchasing an antivirus is necessary.

Note: please respond with an honest answer 馃檪馃槂

What are you using the computer for?

Whatever the case, don't purchase the antivirus as an add-on from Dell. It will NOT be good value for money.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber聽// beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, soilovelinustechtips said:

Hello! I am buying a Dell PC (desktop) and I need to know if purchasing an antivirus is necessary.

No, it's not. Windows 10 does have a built-in antivirus which is perfectly adequate for most people. That said, if you decide that you want a separate antivirus, avoid buying Norton.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

Dell probably already has trial versions of 5 different anti malware apps pre-installed.

But jokes aside. While Windows has it's built in Windows Defenrer anti malware,聽i'd always recommend to use additional anti malware software. I can recommend Kaspersky internet security.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

What are you using the computer for?

Whatever the case, don't purchase the antivirus as an add-on from Dell. It will NOT be good value for money.

Hi! I鈥檓 only going to be using the computer for basic web browsing- not gaming.

N

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Thanks for the help!!!!!

My honest answer is if you need to ask that question, maybe purchasing something on top of Windows built in AV might not be a bad idea.聽

8 minutes ago, soilovelinustechtips said:

In reality Windows Defender is probably fine for you.

If you are willing to pay聽you might want to take a look at Sophos (https://home.sophos.com/) or BitDefender (https://www.bitdefender.com/), which I consider to be among the less sketchy A/V providers. However, I should stress that no technical measures can come close to the level of protection afforded by simply having a bit of common sense.

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

My honest answer is if you need to ask that question, maybe purchasing something on top of Windows built in AV might not be a bad idea.聽

That's my line of thinking as well.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber聽// beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

You only need to use an ad blocker.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21聽Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019,聽i7, 5500M,聽32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

10 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

You only need to use an ad blocker.

for realz.聽 A good ad blocker prevents ~90% of the work an AV has to do.聽

31 minutes ago, soilovelinustechtips said:

Off topic, but which PC are you buying? We can help you decide if its worth the money

Big nerd.聽

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Even if you dont purchase an antivirus dell will probably put a free 1 year subscrition or trial antivirus聽 in it without your permission.

Also Windows Defender is enough if you're just using it for web browsing.聽

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave.聽

No. Windows Defender is in Windows by default and does sufficiently well. There are also good free alternatives like avast! Free, Kaspersky Free and Bitdefender Free. They lack some features, but they are generally much better than Windows Defender.

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

Although factually not incorrect, there's no need to pay: ClamAV is free, also for Win-OS: Install-guide

HTH!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Windows defender + free malwarebytes for occasional scan + ublock origin + sensible browsing = all you need.

Paid antiviruses just slow down your computer.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

聽Malwarebytes + Defender and your all set. I agree with ^.

If you really want to be safe you could get Kaspersky, but windows defender + the free version of malwarebytes should be enough. Windows defender actually scores better than a lot of paid anti-virus/anti-malware software. It's improved a lot in recent years.

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Dell will probably have trial for Norton or McAfee included. Both are something I would just uninstall and pick something better. Be it just Windows Defender or free version of BitDefender, Kaspersky etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv