Cable Connectors

Vulcanrvn90

Hello, I'm sure this has been asked but I can't seem to find it. I'm making custom cables for my computer and I'm having a bit of a hard time finding the last couple of connectors that I need so I'm here asking to see if anyone happens to the part numbers. Preferably Molex brand but doesn't have to be, also in white if possible, thanks. 

4 Pin Male PWM Fan Connector (plug or sometimes called shielded not the ones with exposed terminals) 

SATA Power

3 Pin ARGB/D-RGB 

4 Pin "Molex" Power

Also what are the connectors called that Aquacomputer uses for its RGBpx products? What kind of terminals as well would I use? 

Lastly, I can use 23/22 AWG wire for all those components right? 

If you google  " ATX connector part number list "  or something like that, you'll find threads on modding forums or website forums which list the part numbers for sata and molex ... i'm not at home so don't have them handy. 

Wikipedia says AMP Mate-n-Lok  , Molex 8981 series for the hdd molex : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

Sata .. if you go on a site like Digikey or Mouser, and search for sata in the connectors section, you'll find the part numbers. 

For sata and molex hdd, you want awg 18 or awg16 ... awg20 is thinner and sort of acceptable but if possible stick to awg18 

For the others, awg22 or even awg24 is probably fine, it's low currents and small connectors... see whatever gauge is recommended by connector maker or crimping tool. 

You can buy sata cables with the wires already crimped, though they're not cheap :

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0887511411/3469179

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0685610020/2567843

i think www.diypcmods.com has some as well

dazmod for canada i think has some

modmymods probably has some

aliexpress probly has em too

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Yeah I decided to pretty much buy all the connectors I need from performance-pcs.com and moddiy while I continue to look for the molex brand of the same ones that I csn get in white. I've heard mixed reviews on the Chinese ones from sites like moddiy and aliexpresss which is the only reason I am going to still look for the name brand connectors. Thank you all for your help 

On 5/1/2021 at 12:49 AM, Vulcanrvn90 said:

Yeah I decided to pretty much buy all the connectors I need from performance-pcs.com and moddiy while I continue to look for the molex brand of the same ones that I csn get in white. I've heard mixed reviews on the Chinese ones from sites like moddiy and aliexpresss which is the only reason I am going to still look for the name brand connectors. Thank you all for your help 

FYI:  Nobody in the PC space actually use Molex brand. They're ALL Chinese brands like LST, HYM, WST, YiYi, etc.

The most important thing is the terminals and how much current they can actually supply.  And since those don't have to be black, white, pink, etc., it should be easy for you to find a reliable terminal.

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

FYI:  Nobody in the PC space actually use Molex brand. They're ALL Chinese brands like LST, HYM, WST, YiYi, etc.

The most important thing is the terminals and how much current they can actually supply.  And since those don't have to be black, white, pink, etc., it should be easy for you to find a reliable terminal.

well actually it would depend on the case maker if they still use molex or not. i had an apevia x hermes case from 3 years ago that used molex for the fan connectors.

38 minutes ago, tdkid said:

well actually it would depend on the case maker if they still use molex or not. i had an apevia x hermes case from 3 years ago that used molex for the fan connectors.

You misunderstood.

Molex BRAND. Not Molex connectors.  Everyone uses Molex "type" connectors.  Nobody uses their brand. 

Apevia certainly does not buy any connectors from Molex. 

On 4/28/2021 at 1:03 AM, Vulcanrvn90 said:

Also what are the connectors called that Aquacomputer uses for its RGBpx products? What kind of terminals as well would I use?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You misunderstood.

Molex BRAND. Not Molex connectors.  Everyone uses Molex "type" connectors.  Nobody uses their brand. 

https://www.molex.com/molex/product-search/products.action

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

Are you talking to me?  Did you mean to quote me or @tdkid?

I already said that Molex was a company.  A company that makes many different connectors.  For some reason, we call the four-pin peripheral cable "Molex" in a generic way.  Much like many people call tissues "Kleenex".

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are you talking to me?  Did you mean to quote me or @tdkid?

I already said that Molex was a company.  A company that makes many different connectors.  For some reason, we call the four-pin peripheral cable "Molex" in a generic way.  Much like many people call tissues "Kleenex".

ya but not many people no the molex company

On 5/8/2021 at 12:16 PM, jonnyGURU said:

You misunderstood.

i think you misunderstand probably because what you said is backwards. molex BRAND is a company that makes tens of thousands of coonector types which everyone uses. no one uses the 4 pin molex connector any more Molex_female_connector.jpg (2048×1366) (enacademic.com)

and my apevia case was my old case which did have molex connectors for the fans. i now have the corsair obsidian 1000d.

5 hours ago, tdkid said:

i think you misunderstand probably because what you said is backwards. molex BRAND is a company that makes tens of thousands of coonector types which everyone uses. no one uses the 4 pin molex connector any more Molex_female_connector.jpg (2048×1366) (enacademic.com)

and my apevia case was my old case which did have molex connectors for the fans. i now have the corsair obsidian 1000d.

Molex was the brand name, the company making the connectors.

Other companies have released "series" of connectors that are basically the same but named differently ... for example AMP VAL-U-LOCK  for the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors.

Chinese companies also make these "old style" hdd connectors and SATA connectors under their own series, and they're more or less copies of the original molex connectors where it matters (pin spacing , pin diameter) ... some may have extra things on the housing like keys or handles for quick pull out but the basics are the same.

We got used to saying molex connector just like we got used to saying go make me a xerox of this page ... as in make a xerox copy. Doesn't mean we only use xerox copiers to copy pages.

What jonnyguru is saying that nowadays few companies are actually buying connectors from molex themselves, the majority are sourcing them from various manufacturers.

Whether you like it or not, the molex (old style hdd) connectors are still used quite a bit and they're still supplied in the bundle of cables that comes with your power supply.

Just because YOU don't find a need for them, doesn't mean others don't have a need.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Other companies have released "series" of connectors that are basically the same but named differently ... for example AMP VAL-U-LOCK  for the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors.

Chinese companies also make these "old style" hdd connectors and SATA connectors under their own series, and they're more or less copies of the original molex connectors where it matters (pin spacing , pin diameter) ... some may have extra things on the housing like keys or handles for quick pull out but the basics are the same.

We got used to saying molex connector just like we got used to saying go make me a xerox of this page ... as in make a xerox copy. Doesn't mean we only use xerox copiers to copy pages.

What jonnyguru is saying that nowadays few companies are actually buying connectors from molex themselves, the majority are sourcing them from various manufacturers.

Whether you like it or not, the molex (old style hdd) connectors are still used quite a bit and they're still supplied in the bundle of cables that comes with your power supply.

Just because YOU don't find a need for them, doesn't mean others don't have a need.

funny i got pissed off of there still being molex on psu it should be dead but when it came to rgb it starting to makes sense why we still use it. it because the molex can provide more 12v and 5v amps then sata.  the 24pin, 8.4. is an upgrade over the molex and i think provides the same or more amps but i guess having them attached to the hhd i might not work i guess and having a third pc part using thow pins might be even more confusing. but now hhd are all most dead so replacing the molex with something better would be nice but who knows

why i hate molex so much well one i fried my storage hhd by plunging it it backwards....and there a pant to plunging in and disconnect and some time the pins come lose...hate em.

Edited by thrasher_565

8 hours ago, mariushm said:

i know that but read this reply i got from jonnyguru. it sounds backwards doesnt it?

"You misunderstood.

Apevia certainly does not buy any connectors from Molex. "'

today when you ask most people who have been building PCs for years when they say molex connector, they are most likely talking about that 4 pin connector that kind of looks like a SATA connector in how wide it is. they are not saying i use this 24 pin molex, this 9 pin molex. most people say molex meaning this 1200px-Amp_and_Molex_Connectors.jpg (1200×756) (wikimedia.org)

I understood what he said perfectly ... his post was a reply to a previous message, he just didn't quote the previous.

Yeah, I would say most people refer to the classic 4 pin connector used on mechanical hard drives when saying "molex" connector. (off topic but they were also used on floppy drives, and on cd/dvd drives and even on video cards and sound cards as extra power input) 

Doesn't change the fact that almost nobody making motherboards buys the actual connectors manufactured by Molex (the brand/company), they buy alternative connectors from various other companies as they're cheaper.

Though the pci-e 6 pin and 8 pin connectors were also Molex series, as were the EPS (cpu) and 24 pin connectors... but people call the particular 4 pin a molex connector. 

It's silly ... as silly as people call the 3-4 pin fan headers dupont headers .... simply because way back then dupont (a manufacturer of plastics and other chemicals) was making the headers.

If you go and read the ATX specification, you'll find that the datasheets always refer to Molex [series / part number ] or equivalent, so don't get too bothered that some call other connectors molex this or that.

example: https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/FS8/5ILB/GU59Z1AT/FS85ILBGU59Z1AT.pdf

Page 19 :

For the main ATX power board mounted connector, due to the power requirements needed to support PCI-Express it is highly recommended that systems supporting PCI-Express utilize a 24 pin header. This may be a 24 pin Molex*44206-0007 or equivalent. Figure 8 shows the connector pinouts for the main ATX power board mounted connector and the ATX12V connector. This mates with the power supply connector, Molex 39-01-2240 or equivalent.

Page 21 : Molex 90331-0010 keyed pin 6 or equivalent

Page 22: 

Figure 10 shows the pinout of the optional power connector. The PC board connector should be implemented with a Molex 39-30-1060 or equivalent connector. This mates with the power supply connector, Molex 39-01-2060 or equivalent. The exact location of this connector on the motherboard is not specified but should be located near the main connector for convenience.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I understood what he said perfectly ... his post was a reply to a previous message, he just didn't quote the previous.

Yeah, I would say most people refer to the classic 4 pin connector used on mechanical hard drives when saying "molex" connector. (off topic but they were also used on floppy drives, and on cd/dvd drives and even on video cards and sound cards as extra power input) 

Doesn't change the fact that almost nobody making motherboards buys the actual connectors manufactured by Molex (the brand/company), they buy alternative connectors from various other companies as they're cheaper.

Though the pci-e 6 pin and 8 pin connectors were also Molex series, as were the EPS (cpu) and 24 pin connectors... but people call the particular 4 pin a molex connector. 

It's silly ... as silly as people call the 3-4 pin fan headers dupont headers .... simply because way back then dupont (a manufacturer of plastics and other chemicals) was making the headers.

If you go and read the ATX specification, you'll find that the datasheets always refer to Molex [series / part number ] or equivalent, so don't get too bothered that some call other connectors molex this or that.

example: https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/FS8/5ILB/GU59Z1AT/FS85ILBGU59Z1AT.pdf

Page 19 :

Page 21 : Molex 90331-0010 keyed pin 6 or equivalent

Page 22: 

you are right in that the 4 pin molex connector we have come to know as the molex connector has mainly been used as a power input but that is it nothing else. arabian prince uses micro center for pretty much all of his builds now and when you type in molex to the search bar this is what you get. molex : Micro Center

i can not give you a reply to the rest of your comment because it is just so wrong in how you say it. go ahead and type in molex into a google images search. 90% of the pics you find are going to be of the 4 pin connector. you being in romania, people might still call a molex connector meaning the brand name but here in the US, the molex means the small ugly 4 pin connector that no one uses any more.