Who is more important?

oldSock

i wrote and rewrote this post a few times.

If you are easily triggered click away.

Also i will not respond after this post.

Question to Linus, So when you hand out those nice GPU's you flexed with in your Picture that i was Forced to see every time my browser opened YouTube. Did you imagine that those GPUs can do more then just become "game-scrap" ?

Well have you? Have you considered how important a GPU is to a developer/startup developer ? What it can do for their productivity ?

See everyone screams "there is opportunities!". Not if people don't have the means to access them. 

See in many countries those GPUs are so expensive that it will consume half of someone's yearly income. Now i hear you say "get something cheaper!" Many of us did, but a 1030 can only do so much. Onboard GPU can do only so much. That is what we have to work with. And we do work with it. Yes established developers can easily afford this hardware but not those who are new. 

So from my point of view. Linus when you hand out those GPUs to the "gaming community" know you are no better then the crypto miner, you are no better then other companies that generate tons of e-waste. Because in 5 years the gaming community would have trashed those cards for the next big and shiny GPU. Or sold them, remember these cards are worth a lot.  But those that really needed those cards for productivity we can go to hell right?

Every day i hope to see YouTube fall. I hope to see channels that simply abuse hardware disappear like a bad memory. 

I mean Linus look at your own editing rigs, do you think those editors will be able to do nearly as much work on 7 year old or 8 year old hardware with today's demands ? Yes Linus you and your team worked hard for what you have today. But honestly i think even you realize that hard work isn't enough anymore. Success means access to training, skill development and access to "good enough" hardware/software. As you know these are things that is not easily obtained anymore.

So do whatever it is you where planning to do. Enable whom ever you wish to enable.

Me personally i will count the days. Because everything eventually will fail. Maybe one day i will finally see "YouTube is gone" in the news. Well hopefully before i am to old to appreciate it.

What a total waste of hardware.

a) Linus is rarely responding to posts on the forums

b) 

5 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Enable whom ever you wish to enable.

if by this you are asking for a free gpu you're not gonna get it

c)

Maybe one day i will finally see "YouTube is gone" in the news

Why do you want this? YouTube is a great source of entertainment and education. Obviously there are a lot of annoying people on it like jake paul but YouTube helps bring a lot of people new information and launch hobbies and passions.

Every day i hope to see YouTube fall. I hope to see channels that simply abuse hardware disappear like a bad memory. 

Its not like these channels don't work hard to get where they are. Also, you have  a loose definition of abuse hardware. Its not like theyre throwing a 3080 in the trash because its not as good as a 3090 they have or something like that.

7 minutes ago, oldSock said:

So from my point of view. Linus when you hand out those GPUs to the "gaming community" know you are no better then the crypto miner, you are no better then other companies that generate tons of e-waste. Because in 5 years the gaming community would have trashed those cards for the next big and shiny GPU. Or sold them, remember these cards are worth a lot.  But those that really needed those cards for productivity we can go to hell right?

Linus doesn't owe anyone anything. Just because a gamer might replace a gpu in 5 or 10 years doesn't mean a productivity worker "deserves" it more. Furthermore, you seem to be implying all gamers have funds to replace hardware after 5 years. If there are productivity workers who can't afford to do this, there are also gamers who can't afford to do this. Also, you mention Linus handing out gpus. Linus hands out gpus because they are his gpus. He gets to do what he wants with them. He decides. Not you.

9 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Look, I'm guessing you are referencing giving gamers free gpus or the Verified Actual Gamer program or something of the sort. Just because some random person focused on productivity could use it more doesn't invalidate a lot of the kind things he is doing for the tech community (eg ROG Rig Reboot and Verified Actual Gamer program)

In summary you seem to just be saying how for some reason you hate Linus because he doesn't give free gpus to the crowd you want him to give them to. Why? Why does what Linus does with HIS hardware concern YOU? He has earned his place in the tech community. 

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Question to Linus, So when you hand out those nice GPU's you flexed with in your Picture that i was Forced to see every time my browser opened YouTube. Did you imagine that those GPUs can do more then just become "game-scrap" ?

Well have you? Have you considered how important a GPU is to a developer/startup developer ? What it can do for their productivity ?

See in many countries those GPUs are so expensive that it will consume half of someone's yearly income. Now i hear you say "get something cheaper!" Many of us did, but a 1030 can only do so much. Onboard GPU can do only so much. That is what we have to work with. And we do work with it. Yes established developers can easily afford this hardware but not those who are new. 

I mean Linus look at your own editing rigs, do you think those editors will be able to do nearly as much work on 7 year old or 8 year old hardware with today's demands ? Yes Linus you and your team worked hard for what you have today. But honestly i think even you realize that hard work isn't enough anymore. Success means access to training, skill development and access to "good enough" hardware/software. As you know these are things that is not easily obtained anymore.

So do whatever it is you where planning to do. Enable whom ever you wish to enable.

He rarely answers, and it isn't being handed out, its being SOLD AT MSRP

thats longer than they'll last mining and most people churn GPUs, the 600 series which quite a few people still run is from 2012, other than maybe a TV or computer or camera no other electronic from them will be in use

I'm a video editor myself, yes GPUs matter but if you need systems your likely looking at a SI not a custom built PC, and SI have GPUs in stock

your best hope is as prices fall and get closer to normal you can find them. I would have been hunting for RX470/480/570/580/590 for the last few years if you needed a good sub 100$ GPU.

Linus is just being another marketplace, trying to stop bots and the like from buying and making a human work to get the chance to buy a GPU.
Nothing says you have to be only a gamer but they aren't going to let you buy 5 GPUs for your startup

I know how well BM raw edits and I know how well pro res 4k does even on a 2700x+RX580gb, They could likely do their job with high end for 2016 hardware. YT has always been a mix of hard work and luck of the algorithm

Much of the LTT team ether came trained or learned it on the job.

LTT VAG program is just the hardest I've ever seen a place work to make sure bots don't buy it short of a retail store.

its less of a waste than mining a currency, Yes I would love to see the compute power in its off time go to projects like BONIC and folding@home and other science projects and some of it does.

this feels like your mad you can't get a GPU or people aren't handing out GPUs to you

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

this feels like your mad you can't get a GPU or people aren't handing out GPUs to you

my thoughts exactly. why should he worry what linus does with linus's card? how can he not see the verified actual gamer program is a service to the community and we should be thankful for how hard they are clearly working on it?

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, oldSock said:

game-scrap

Gaming is not crap,it's entertainment,and a lot of people like it and hold it near and dear to their heart.

57 minutes ago, oldSock said:

See everyone screams "there is opportunities!". Not if people don't have the means to access them. 

Linus can't do that to every market that requires GPUs,It's not realistic.

58 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Me personally i will count the days. Because everything eventually will fail. Maybe one day i will finally see "YouTube is gone" in the news. Well hopefully before i am to old to appreciate it.

You are just angry because you didn't manage to get a GPU.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

He's just using his influence to get GPU to cater to a specific audience that he cares about, while benefiting him since many people will watch his videos and what not

Yes he's catering to a very specific audience by using those questions, and yes he's profiting from all these, just not from your wallet perhaps (or most likely, from your wallet too but not at a markup, MSRP is suggested retail price, we have no idea how much manufacturers are charging him per unit)

But honestly, if you don't like it, just don't buy it from him

It sucks for people who can't get those questions, but meh, this will blow over

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, oldSock said:

i wrote and rewrote this post a few times.

And yet, you managed to conflict with your own statements.

If you are easily triggered click away.

Then why did you bother to make this a thread? This is discussion forum. If you want to make statement, post Status Update. To me it sounds, just from this (and I did read the post before I started to write reply and picking apart your reasoning) that you are the one who is easily triggered. As past threads have shown.

Have you considered what the difference between gamer, miner and professionals are in terms of using the product and spending on a product? I did wrote this to another thread already, but there it was derailing.

A gamer is looking to get their entertainment. They don't make money with it, they just consume it. Miners are looking to break even. Most of the small-time miners aren't in to make profits, they are doing it to break even. All professionals are looking to make money on their invesment. I mean, why else would professional buy something for work than make money with it?

Yes established developers can easily afford this hardware but not those who are new. 

This is bad time to start something new in tech-field, for everyone and you really can't blame it on Linus. If you comes from school, they should have taught you better in terms of being in business. Blaming others for bad business decisions is not the way to go. At all.

5 years is long time for modern GPU use. Most will look to upgrade in 3 years/generations. The rest of the "bad" here doesn't make sense. If gamer sells their old card, then its not waste, now is it?

And would someone working for game development or heavier rendering (be it 3D, video or other) not upgrade in same time? I think Linus said they upgrade in every 4 years. And when they upgrade, do they do something fantastic with their old hardware? I think not. For business, selling their old hardware is more hassle than worth. It goes directly to dump or some company who will scrap them.

None of this makes any sense. Linus is business owner, and has shown that even without proper education of running a business, he has touch for it. Sounds like you don't.

Another nonsensical paragraph.

This part confuses me. Gamer uses hardware to consume entertainment. The rest may use it for producing something. Lets say you are game dev. Don't you want there to be gamers to pay you for the content you make?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

58 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Because in 5 years the gaming community would have trashed those cards for the next big and shiny GPU.

I'm building my friend a Java Minecraft PC using my old second-hand purchased years ago 1100T and second hand purchased years ago 560ti (Both from another friend).  I said i'd gift for him as he agreed to purchase a PSU for it so i can keep mine.

Because in 5 years the gaming community would have trashed those cards for the next big and shiny GPU.

My media PC is just my old 6600k that i had purchased new for my last PC with a second-hand purchased R9 270X

My VR Sim racing rig is made up of my cousins old 6600k and GTX 970 that i purchased from him as he had upgraded

Even my main PC is made up of my old GTX 1070 from my last PC and a second-hand 8700k and motherboard combo i bought off ebay around when the 10th gen intel parts came out.

To just assume that every 'gamer' is wastefully using their expensive hardware for just a couple of years then tossing it in the trash is an awful injustice to a lot of people on this forum.

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

A forum is for discussion. If you don't plan to reply anyway just make a status update or post on twitter or whatever.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

<-- Thread Locked -->

Since you have no intent on having a discussion around your topic, then this topic will be closed. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card