Silencing my PC

Tordal

Hey,

(Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct place)

So I've been working on getting parts for my PC, and I feel pretty happy with what I've got at this point. Got most of this on sale, and the GPU is 2nd hand that I got cheap when the 3090's started hitting the shelves.

• Motherboard: ASUS TUF B460M-PLUS Gaming Wi-Fi
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i
  • Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz 32GB
  • GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
  • PSU: Corsair AX850
  • Fans: Corsair ML120 (x6)
  • Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Black

Now in my head this should make for a decent build that makes little noise. However I am a complete noob when it comes to everything involved fan control, so I hope someone can give me a few tips. This is my current fan config:

• Front: 3 intake fans.
    • 1 connected to the built in fan control
    • 2 connected to the H100i handling the radiator (no space for it in the top 😞)
  • Top: 2 exhaust fans
    • Both connected to the built in fan control
  • Back: 1 exhaust fan
    • Connected to a motherboard header

Currently I am not happy with either the noise level of the case fans or the GPU fans. They are annoyingly loud, even at next to no load (surfing, e-mailing and work). Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for any changes or tweaks I can make to make my system quieter. Not sure where to start, so I have not delved into any fan control software or done anything else (apart from setting the built in fan control to minimum for the 3 case fans it is connected to).

I would take a look at your motherboard's BIOS, and just try different fan curves. Ideally you want it very low when the CPU is cool, and then you want them to ramp up once it's underload. The only way you can really test this is to set it in the BIOS, then run some benchmarks and see where the noise level and temps are at. You've got a lot of fans, so it's not surprising that they would be pretty noisy. As for the GPU, same kind of idea but with whatever software controls their fan curve(I believe MSI Afterburner will do it?).

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

3 minutes ago, TheStyne said:

You've got a lot of fans, so it's not surprising that they would be pretty noisy.

Yes, my logic was that having more fans running at lower speed would make the build quieter(?), but I don't mind reducing the amount of fans if that theory is wrong.

Afterburner is downloaded. I'll have a look at that tomorrow 👍

the gpu fans shouldn't even spin under light loads, are you sure they're running at default settings?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

the gpu fans shouldn't even spin under light loads, are you sure they're running at default settings?

I haven't downloaded any software that changes the fan speed on my GPU at least. Only GPU related software I have is Geforce Experience for driver updates. Is there anywhere else i could check?

ML fans require 12v for the magnetic levitation bearings to work properly. The case fan control uses variable voltage instead of 12v pwm to control fan speeds. Plug the fans directly into the motherboard or cooler fan headers instead. 

What rpm are you running the fans at? If you haven't already, try a Quiet preset from the motherboard settings. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

ML fans require 12v for the magnetic levitation bearings to work properly. ... Whatrpm are you running the fans at?

Thanks, I did not know this about 12V. Can I use a fan splitter on a motherboard header and still get 12V on each fan? My motherboard only have 4 fan headers.

EDIT: With the power of Google I figured this out myself (answer is primarily yes unless you start adding many fans to one header)

I don't know the RPM of the fans. I suppose if I connect them to my motherboard I can read this from the motherboard settings or something?

7 hours ago, Tordal said:

I don't know the RPM of the fans. I suppose if I connect them to my motherboard I can read this from the motherboard settings or something?

Yes. The rpm pin is available one of the fan headers on a splitter and the motherboard will read rpm from that single fan. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.