CPU at 90C with 360mm Fractal S36 (R7 5800x)

static773
Go to solution Solved by static773,
21 minutes ago, static773 said:

Ill go check if its still under warranty. It should be as its a 5 yr old warranty

Im back, its still under warranty. I will try an RMA but if that doesnt work im going down the custom water cooling route. Thank you!

I recently modded my case to fit the entire 360mm loop, it made zero difference. I have arctic MX-4 thermal paste with 100% coverage across the CPU. Im completely stumped. I have the screws all the way screwed down, not to the point of danger. Is the CPU block not pulling heat away fast enough? Do I need to perform maintenance? Should I just go with custom water cooling keeping the radiator? I have a push/pull at the top of my case, as my case does not allow it in the front. (Fractal Design R4). This AIO is quite old, does this mean there is gunk gunking up the fins on the block?

can you hear the pump?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

can you hear the pump?

Nope, only on bootup can I hear the pump rushing water.

The problem may be because it's old, but maybe not. What is the pump speed at? Could BIOS settings have reverted back to stock? 

The 5800x runs hotter than any other new gen AMD chip, but that doesn't explain 90C+ on a 360mm AIO.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

Just now, tishous said:

The problem may be because it's old, but maybe not. What is the pump speed at? Could BIOS settings have reverted back to stock? 

The 5800x runs hotter than any other new gen AMD chip, but that doesn't explain 90C+ on a 360mm AIO.

I will check, last time I checked it was 100% all the time. Let me go check in BIOS. Also if it is important im using PBO with a negative curve optimizer

2 minutes ago, static773 said:

I will check, last time I checked it was 100% all the time. Let me go check in BIOS. Also if it is important im using PBO with a negative curve optimizer

What header on the motherboard is the pump connected to? The 4 pin connector that looks like a fan connector.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

What header on the motherboard is the pump connected to? The 4 pin connector that looks like a fan connector.

Its connected to the CPU_FAN

9 minutes ago, tishous said:

Im back, and it still hits 90C after setting pump to 100% all the time.

Just now, static773 said:

Its connected to the CPU_FAN

Move that and adust your curve so that the fan is always at 90-100%. You want the pump to always be spinning as fast as it can regardless of temperature. The radiator fans should be going to the CPU_FAN header. 

You want the fluid to always be flowing or you end up with a warm "dead" spot. As the CPU gets hotter and you need to dissipate more air on the radiator to cool more, it'll turn up the fan speed on CPU_FAN which if you have that hooked into your radiator fans does what it's supposed to.

What is your motherboard? If it has a PUMP header, use that for the pump.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, static773 said:

Im back, and it still hits 90C after setting pump to 100% all the time.

And all three fans on the radiator are spinning? Have you tried increasing the fan speed?

Also, is this 90C at idle or when under full load? 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

Just now, tishous said:

And all three fans on the radiator are spinning? Have you tried increasing the fan speed?

Also, is this 90C at idle or when under full load? 

This is 90C for Cinebench, CpuZ bench. All 6 fans are spinning. Fan speeds are set to 85C = 100%

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Move that and adust your curve so that the fan is always at 90-100%. You want the pump to always be spinning as fast as it can regardless of temperature. The radiator fans should be going to the CPU_FAN header. 

You want the fluid to always be flowing or you end up with a warm "dead" spot. As the CPU gets hotter and you need to dissipate more air on the radiator to cool more, it'll turn up the fan speed on CPU_FAN which if you have that hooked into your radiator fans does what it's supposed to.

What is your motherboard? If it has a PUMP header, use that for the pump.

I have a MSI MPG x570 Gaming plus. It has a pump header. I will try that.

2 minutes ago, static773 said:

This is 90C for Cinebench, CpuZ bench. All 6 fans are spinning. Fan speeds are set to 85C = 100%

And if you're sure the thermal paste and the mounting pressure is enough, then this may be a problem with the AIO itself. If it's in warranty you could RMA it.

5 minutes ago, tishous said:

And if you're sure the thermal paste and the mounting pressure is enough, then this may be a problem with the AIO itself. If it's in warranty you could RMA it.

Ill go check if its still under warranty. It should be as its a 5 yr old warranty

21 minutes ago, static773 said:

Im back, its still under warranty. I will try an RMA but if that doesnt work im going down the custom water cooling route. Thank you!