Looking for reliable 1600W PSU.

Didlex

I am looking for a reliable 1600W PSU that won't fail on me under constant 24/7 use. I am kind of new to building computers and my knowledge about hardware is limited, so I have honestly no clue what companies to trust, and what should I be looking for in a PSU. The only thing I really know is that continuous wattage is what I want. I don't mind it costing $500+, but of course if there is a good and reliable one for a cheaper price, I'd love that. Thank you in advance!

Honestly, any 1600W from a reputable brand will be reliable since these are the haloiest halo products.

Good luck finding one in the mining craze though.

Just now, StackUnderflow said:

Honestly, any 1600W from a reputable brand will be good enough.

Thanks, but that's the thing. I honestly know no reputable companies that sell PSUs (I think?). If you know any you'd recommend, I'd really appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, Didlex said:

I am looking for a reliable 1600W PSU that won't fail on me under constant 24/7 use. I am kind of new to building computers and my knowledge about hardware is limited, so I have honestly no clue what companies to trust, and what should I be looking for in a PSU. The only thing I really know is that continuous wattage is what I want. I don't mind it costing $500+, but of course if there is a good and reliable one for a cheaper price, I'd love that. Thank you in advance!

https://www.newegg.com/topower-mining-top-1600wm1/p/1HU-001A-00077?quicklink=true

have fun paying the bill

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Just now, Didlex said:

Thanks, I was expecting it to cost so much more. Those being sold in my country go for about 5000+ NOK (about $600) so thanks a lot!

No problem

4 minutes ago, Didlex said:

Thanks, I was expecting it to cost so much more. Those being sold in my country go for about 5000+ NOK (about $600) so thanks a lot!

this one is better https://www.newegg.com/greatwall-gw-eps2000bl-2000w/p/1HU-027X-00083?quicklink=true

Just now, Didlex said:

I'll need a maximum of 1500W which probably won't be the case, so 200W is overkill when I can get what I need for half the price.

Yeah, but the reliability is much better on that thing.

1 minute ago, Seban said:

Yeah, but the reliability is much better on that thing.

Well, even if it dips 100W now and then, that won't be a problem.

Just now, Didlex said:

Well, even if it dips 100W now and then, that won't be a problem.

Alright, cool

1 minute ago, Seban said:

Alright, cool

But thanks a lot for that first one!

Why do you think you need a 1600W PSU? What specs do you have?

4 hours ago, StackUnderflow said:

Honestly, any 1600W from a reputable brand will be reliable since these are the haloiest halo products.

Yeah.... No.

E.g. the Rosewill Tokamak 1500W had almost 100mV ripple on the 12V rail at 100% load. That's worse than you get on very low end PSUs.

You'll also find that a lot of them are not quiet at all. The Tokamak, with its DBB fan was measured at 33.1 dBA and 850RPM at 150W load, and at 46.3 dBA and 1430 RPM at 600W load. For comparison, the RM550x 2018 was measured at 30.5 dBA and 1097 RPM at 605W load. That's a 550W PSU that's quieter at 605W than a 1500W PSU at 600W load.

You'll also often find below spec hold-up time, and a complete lack of multi rail OCP on the 12V rail on a lot of 1600W PSUs.

:)

36 minutes ago, Didlex said:

But thanks a lot for that first one!

That first one is hot garbage.

BTW:  Topower went out of business almost 10 years ago, so that's someone's old ass stock.  

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

E.g. the Rosewill Tokamak 1500W had almost 100mV ripple on the 12V rail at 100% load. That's worse than you get on very low end PSUs.

You'll also find that a lot of them are not quiet at all. The Tokamak, with its DBB fan was measured at 33.1 dBA and 850RPM at 150W load, and at 46.3 dBA and 1430 RPM at 600W load. For comparison, the RM550x 2018 was measured at 30.5 dBA and 1097 RPM at 605W load. That's a 550W PSU that's quieter at 605W than a 1500W PSU at 600W load.

You'll also often find below spec hold-up time, and a complete lack of multi rail OCP on the 12V rail on a lot of 1600W PSUs

Did I say I considered Rosewill a reputable brand?

I said in a later post corsair, seasonic and superflower and to my knowledge both the corsair and superflower ones are on the A-tier of the tier list (though the seasonic one might be vaporware).

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

That first one is hot garbage.

BTW:  Topower went out of business almost 10 years ago, so that's someone's old ass stock.  

well, those were the only deals on the market in stock

3 hours ago, StackUnderflow said:

Did I say I considered Rosewill a reputable brand?

I said in a later post corsair, seasonic and superflower and to my knowledge both the corsair and superflower ones are on the A-tier of the tier list (though the seasonic one might be vaporware).

You said a reputable brand. You also said:

4 hours ago, StackUnderflow said:

Mostly corsair, seasonic, superflower, and some other ones.

And you never specified that Rosewill is not one. It is a fairly well known brand, that a lot of people would have heard of.

3 hours ago, Seban said:

Doesn't matter if they are in stock in the US, since OP is in Norway. And the first one especially doesn't matter if OP wants something other than a fire hazard 🙂

:)

4 minutes ago, Seban said:

And also, Greatwall is associated with Corsair. So i wouldn't consider the second option a bad one.

1 hour ago, Didlex said:

The 2 best ones from what I have seen are,

Corsair AX1600i 

EVGA T2 1600

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

5 minutes ago, Seban said:

And also, Greatwall is associated with Corsair. So i wouldn't consider the second option a bad one.

Great Wall makes a couple models for Corsair under strict supervision from Corsair.

Like every single manufacturer out there, Great Wall is capable of making a full gamut of product.  They make the proprietary garbage for Lenovo systems, PSUs for the Walmart build... all the way up to water cooled server PSUs with pre-installed German made water blocks.

1 hour ago, Didlex said:

If you can wait until the end of this month, the market is going to get pretty saturated with AX1600i PSUs.  Right now there's a shortage due to an IC shortage, but a second source IC has been found and validated and they're building them again.

Try look on ebay I got a used 1500w titanium psu for 200 ,or amazon my other 1500w titanium psu is bought on amazon less than 200

Definitely do not look on eBay to get a used PSU.  No warranty, no accurate information about the use conditions or age of that PSU, no guarantee it was not truly abused.  A PSU can kill multiple components in a case, so it's just not worth the additional risk.