What happened to x.5TB harddrives?

FRD

Lately I've been thinking. Why they don't make 1.5TB and 2.5TB harddrives much anymore? They seem to be a rarity now. Of course we live in an era where HDDs are much more cheaper and in much bigger capacities, but I'm still curious.

I have a few 1.5TB external harddrives and back then (around 2012-2014) they were basically the sweet spot in price/capacity.

Does anyone know why these drives basically left the market? While 1TB and 2TB drives are still everywhere. I only see one 2.5TB on the market and a few 1.5TB drives now. Their availability is bad though.

Would they be harder or more costly to produce? Or is it just that they've been abandoned because people starting using bigger drives?

Just now, FRD said:

Would they be harder or more costly to produce? Or is it just that they've been abandoned because people starting using bigger drives?

The way hard drives work, is that they have platters. Stack platters to get more capacity. Of course the denser they can put the bits on the platter, the more data can be stored on it.

At some point though, they've probably stopped produced 0.5TB platters and only produce 1TB platters (and 2TB and onwards probably too).

Without 0.5TB platters, you can't make x.5TB hard drives, which is likely why they stopped producing them.

Just the 'economy of scale' idea, where 2TB drives weren't that much (more) to produce than 1.5TB drive, so they stopped making them.

I don't know for sure if this is why that happened, but this is what I would think happened in the industry.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

maybe they don't sell as well as rounded numbers harddrives