How much volts can a motherboard take?

azusahirasawa

Hello, I have a asus ex h310m v3 r2 0 and I am planning to buy a deepcool gammaxx 400 ex. Will this fry my motherboard?

Iirc, A motherboard can only receive 12v no more and no less.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

7 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Iirc, A motherboard can only receive 12v no more and no less.

I think it can handle like 0.10v changes up and down sometimes on the 12v rail but usually it's not a lot. I'm not great with 3.3v knowledge so idk how far off voltage can go when overclocking

the power supply will only give however much the motherboard wants. the psu does not "force" power into electronics. if the power supply quality is decent, the ripple voltage will be minimal so there should be no problem. 

5 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

the power supply will only give however much the motherboard wants. the psu does not "force" power into electronics. if the power supply quality is decent, the ripple voltage will be minimal so there should be no problem. 

Is a corsair cx550m good for that?

4 hours ago, azusahirasawa said:

Hello, I have a asus ex h310m v3 r2 0 and I am planning to buy a deepcool gammaxx 400 ex. Will this fry my motherboard?

2 hours ago, azusahirasawa said:

Also, is a y splitter safe?

This is a CPU cooler. I am not sure how it can possibly fry your motherboard if it is installed correctly in accordance to the user manual. If you referring to the plugging in of the two fans that come with it in a single CPU FAN header with a splitter (Y) cable, then that should be fine. Most fan headers can provide enough power for about 3-4 normal case fans. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Only PSU will deliver something to mobo. Rest of the parts are drawing power from mobo. With bit older stuff, it was possible to damage mobo by connecting something wrong, or connecting too many fans to single header. Currently its more likely that fans just don't work if you add too many of them. You can run at least 3 normal fans per header.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You're asking the wrong questions.

You have volts and you have current .... volts x current (A)  equals power (VA or watts) , how much energy reaches a component.

Power supplies output 3 main voltages : 12v , 5v and 3.3v . Motherboard receives these voltages and either uses some directly (like fans for example, which run directly from 12v, or USB ports which run directly from 5v from power supply)  and indirectly by using circuits called DC-DC converters which take these voltages and produce energy at a lower voltage (ex 12v to 0.6v...1.5v for the CPU,  3.3v or 5v to 1.2v for DDR4 memory)

A DC-DC converter can take a high voltage and low current and produce low voltage and high current ... for example 12v and 5A  is 60 watts ... the dc-dc converter can produce 1v and 58A of current for the cpu for a total of 58 watts, and loses 2w in form of heat due to its efficiency ... any dc-dc converter is not perfect, there are some losses.. but the losses are much lower compared to the situation where the power supply would actually send 1v through the wires all the way to the motherboard (the longer the wires, the higher the losses in wires and other issues pop up)

When you're concerned about something damaging something by consuming too much power, you're thinking of current.

The voltages don't change. The current changes ... think of current like the pressure of water in a pipe ... if the current is too big, it's like the water pressure in the pipe is too strong and the pipe blows ... so too much current can cause traces on the circuit board to break or burn, connectors can overheat and so on.

The fan headers on a motherboards are usually rated for 1A of current , some headers are rated for 2A of current to support water pumps of water coolers. A typical fan consumes 0.15...0.3A of current, so in theory you could connect 2-3 fans to a single header and you won't exceed that rating of 1A of current so there's no risk of damaging the motherboard traces or the fan header.