What song are you listening to right now.

killers993
1 hour ago, Volbet said:

So you're essentially just gatekeeping for the sake of gatekeeping? Gotcha.

What is gatekeeping? I'm genuinely curious

2 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

What is gatekeeping? I'm genuinely curious

It's where someone assumes the authority to tell others what does and doesn't belong in a group or community.

Basically, all those "It's not true metal unless...", "you're not a real man if..." etc. are attempts at gatekeeping due to their needlessly exclusionary nature.

It's essentially a way to make people feel lesser than you by excluding them from a group they would otherwise fit nicely into.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

It's where someone assumes the authority to tell others what does and doesn't belong in a group or community.

Basically, all those "It's not true metal unless...", "you're not a real man if..." etc. are attempts at gatekeeping due to their needlessly exclusionary nature.

It's essentially a way to make people feel lesser than you by excluding them from a group they would otherwise fit nicely into.

Or as i call them, people with over inflated ego's :P

But i get you, i mean i gatekeep to a certain extent i'll admit that

2 hours ago, Tcrumpen said:

All metal is metal, there is no such thing as "proper metal" granted metal has A LOT of sub cultures but it's still classed as metal; Metal is an umbrella term for the genre, much like Rock is a Umbrella term (You have Blues Rock, heavy Rock, psychedelic rock). People may not like sub genres but it's still Metal; also i never claimed that the songs were what is "proper metal" i used it to emphasise what i class as shouting in Metal Music, i'm well aware of CSGuitars videos in fact i'm a fan of him myself; his rant is more aimed at people who use way to much gain and not adjusting their EQs to compensate for the gain. He is saying that to many people boost the fuck out of the gain and scoop the mids to much giving a muddy flat guitar tone that can't cut through in a live band situation. Although teh sound is ok for bedroom playing beacuse you don't have a band filling in for the bassy stuff

The riff he plays although sounds 'weak' on it's own will sound more metal with a full mix. The videos i listed also do that they are just using even more gain but they are EQ'd in a way that each instrument can be heard individually in the entire song

I do like that track by the way, although me personally i'm not a huge fan of pinch harmonics (aka squealies) i think they are a bit of a gimmick really; but i don't slate guitarists for using them unless they are using them in every bar of the song; kinda removes from the wow factor of a pinch harmonic

We all have our own opinions which is fine, but there is a difference between have an opinion on something and trying to force your ideals on someone

It is, and I do listen to sub-genres of metal too, like industrial sometimes. However I can't stand a bunch of guys just shouting into the mic and playing a basic riff on 2 strings over and over again. That to me is not music, it's noise.

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

Why? Becuase I tend to hold to meanings in words and not turn the language into pure literary nihilism. 

Again, if the meaning is meaningless, then why did you call them hillbillies and not "zef", "redneck", "yuppie" or "billionaire"?

All of those would have been equally as meaningful or equally wrong.

And even by your own definition your comment doesn't make sense. 

As said above, both performers are from, and are currently living in, major cities, the studio is located in a town of reasonable size (for Norwegian standards, anyway) not too far from a major city. 

You also have no basis for a claim of ignorance as far as I can tell.

So you're essentially just gatekeeping for the sake of gatekeeping? Gotcha.

It does hold a meaning, although not the exact literal definition, but a side one. You can call a hillbilly a redneck, or vise-versa. Anybody would understand that. Don't you? You're trying hard and playing with words to make yourself look elite. I have probably spent more money on toys in my life than what those people spent to their in-house small studio, they're not billionaires at all.

I didn't call them ignorant, I was commenting on their covers. They might be walking books as far as music goes, for all I care their covers are terrible. Over the top gain and silly faces, trying to "look" metal. These people are the people that are killing metal. Posting crappy YouTube covers of every song they turn into a mess like that, then calling them "metal covers". Go to the roots, all the way back to 80's. The big hair era was when real metal musicians were mostly around.

13 hours ago, Motifator said:

It does hold a meaning, although not the exact literal definition, but a side one. You can call a hillbilly a redneck, or vise-versa. Anybody would understand that. Don't you? You're trying hard and playing with words to make yourself look elite.

Playing with words? I'm the one keeping to a strict definition of words. No playing could be done. 

Also, hillbillies and rednecks aren't the same thing. One, as already discussed, referes to rural people living in the Eastern mountain regions of North America, while the other referes to caucasian members of the working class in the Southern US, often people that are also of lesser education. 

I have probably spent more money on toys in my life than what those people spent to their in-house small studio, they're not billionaires at all.

Here you manage to miss my point entirely and prove my point exactly. 

When using the word "billionaire" in the same lose way as you use "hillbilly" you obviously can't understand the point.

Just like you using "hillbilly" in such a meaningless manner makes the critique lose all meaning. 

I didn't call them ignorant, I was commenting on their covers. 

Let's review:

You said:

They are hillbillies and their covers suck, that was my opinion about th

And later you clarified:

Tons of people call those that are ignorant, redneck and such hillbilly,

Hence you're inferring an element of ignorance into your definition of "hillbilly".

So, by refering to the performers in the cover as "hillbillies" you're also calling them ignorant. At least to an extend. 

And neither performer are members of the working class in Louisiana, so the redneck part is clearly not what you were refering to. 

Over the top gain and silly faces, trying to "look" metal. These people are the people that are killing metal. Posting crappy YouTube covers of every song they turn into a mess like that, then calling them "metal covers". Go to the roots, all the way back to 80's. The big hair era was when real metal musicians were mostly around.

If metal as a genre can be killed by someone posting silly covers on YouTube then it wasn't really worth its life anyway. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It's just one aspect of how a genre of music can be buried stupidly. The are definitely other larger factors such as the pop music culture, but people doing that is a common thing. It seems easy nowadays to do a YouTube cover like the take of FrogLeapStudios at that Survivor song, and with so many followers loving their trash, people accept it and it goes under a "metal cover", when it's only garbage. Here is an actual metal cover of a ballad:

Found this somewhat by accident, I like it surprisingly much.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

a classic (for me)

and pure skill

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Those Launchpads are overkill for me lol, way too many pads. At most I guess I could do an Octapad or a Fantom with pad. Some strange inventions out there these days, like the Roli Seaboard. Full grand keyboard made out of pad-ish buttons.

Praise The Lord (Da Shine) - A$SAP Rocky and TESTING

it makes me pump especially when working out!

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Because youtube done screwed up and the suggested videos aren't of the same genre.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

3 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

4dc.gif

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS