What song are you listening to right now.

killers993

I woke up to temperatures over 20°C, and they'll be rising to about 30°C. I'm dying in this heatwave. 

12 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

I pinned it because of how popular the thread is. ;) 

You're doing the Lord's work.

12 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

I totally get what you're saying and you could be right, to an extent. I just absolutely love this genre of music and I'm thrilled there's a new band out there taking it back to what are, IMO, the good old days of true rock. Some of the "new rock" out there today is just garbage, IMO. These guys are so talented and their songs are great. It's just a nice breath of fresh air to revive this sound and I'm just lovin it. :)

I will agree that a lot of modern rock does suck. As a genre rock is in a very strange place. 

It's either bands from the ´00's that have gone soft (see Five Finger Death Punch, 3 Doors Down and Avenged Sevenfold) or bands that are trying to mimic an old sound.

I'm in absolute agreement that the guys in Greta van Fleet are very talented. They certainly know how play their instruments and Joshua Kiszka is an amazing vocalist. 

Which is why I would love to have them stick around, but unfortunatly a gimmick like "we sound just like Led Zeppelin" isn't really sustainable in the long run.

If they sound just like Led Zeppelin, then why wouldn't we just listen to Led Zeppelin? 

And it can certainly happen. You can easily hear non-Led Zeppelin influences in Greta van Fleet's sound, which I hope will get a bigger focus once they release their debut album. 

Although, I should probably clarify that taking inspiration from the old greats aren't inherintly a bad thing, it's just that I think Greeta van Fleet is doing it in too obvious way.

A band like the Pretty Reckless, for example, also takes a lot of inspiration from classic rock and blues, but they manage to mix those inspirations into their own post-grunge framework. 

They haven't always been succesful at it, but at least they're trying.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Well, many bands (including old ones) were inspired by other musicians, but you are right about plagiarism. There was a Black Label Society album called The Song Remains Not The Same. Complete Led Zeppelin rip off title. I watch Joe Cocker covers and the people in them almost always think they're the guy themselves and end up looking awkward with those hand movements. Obviously there won't be a direct replacement, he was elusive with his style. I still enjoy the music if the playing is decent though.

8 hours ago, Volbet said:

I will agree that a lot of modern rock does suck. As a genre rock is in a very strange place. 

It's either bands from the ´00's that have gone soft (see Five Finger Death Punch, 3 Doors Down and Avenged Sevenfold) or bands that are trying to mimic an old sound.

I'm in absolute agreement that the guys in Greta van Fleet are very talented. They certainly know how play their instruments and Joshua Kiszka is an amazing vocalist. 

Which is why I would love to have them stick around, but unfortunatly a gimmick like "we sound just like Led Zeppelin" isn't really sustainable in the long run.

If they sound just like Led Zeppelin, then why wouldn't we just listen to Led Zeppelin? 

And it can certainly happen. You can easily hear non-Led Zeppelin influences in Greta van Fleet's sound, which I hope will get a bigger focus once they release their debut album. 

Although, I should probably clarify that taking inspiration from the old greats aren't inherintly a bad thing, it's just that I think Greeta van Fleet is doing it in too obvious way.

A band like the Pretty Reckless, for example, also takes a lot of inspiration from classic rock and blues, but they manage to mix those inspirations into their own post-grunge framework. 

They haven't always been succesful at it, but at least they're trying.

Why wouldn't I just listen to Zeppelin? Because I've heard a lot of their songs, many many many times over. It's really nice to hear fresh new music/songs in that style. 

Maybe they will come more into their own while staying true to their roots. Regardless, I'm lovin what they're doing. :) 

My favourite band of all time, The Tea Party, I can hear influences of many other bands (like Zeppelin) and other cultures and they made it their own. Let's hope Greta Van Fleet can do the same. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

45 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

I'd argue that this is better sounding than the orignial

Couple things wrong with that. That's a boring song people listened to a million times, and that guy with his GF are a bunch of hillbillies that think they make "metal" inside that studio out in the mountains. As such, they never seem to shave and there is not a single cover of them that I dug. It's nothing but than snoring and distortion.

Here is a good play along:

If anyone like garage rock, listen to this album, it's fantastic

image.png.d78df48d366cde9ba597caf2dc20fc8d.png

This song brings me chills as well as feels. It's one of the more surreal feelings I've gotten from music.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

New music from Halestorm. :D 

Image result for noice

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

24 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

New music from Halestorm. :D 

I'm really looking forward to their new album. That song sounds great. 

Especially since they got rid of Jay Joyce as their producer. I can't really express how disappointed I was with their last album.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-snip-

Another gem from those days:

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

And another one:

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

AC☇DC

Main pc

CPU: AMD RYZEN 2200G || GPU: EVGA GTX 780 || PSU: EVGA 500W  ||  MOBO: MSI B350M MORTAR ||

RAM: BALLISTIX SPORT LT 12GB (4X3) DDR4 3133 MHz ||  CPU COOLER: AMD WRAITH STEALTH || SSD: SILICON POWER S55 120GB (BOOT) ||

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB BLUE 7.2K RPM, 200GB random Toshiba HDD || CASE: Thermaltake View 28 ||

Consoles

|| XBOX 360 || NINTENDO WII U || PLAYSTATION 3 || PSVita (1000 model, henkaku fw 3.87 || NINTENDO 3DS XL || Nintendo Switch Lite ||

16 hours ago, Motifator said:

Couple things wrong with that. That's a boring song people listened to a million times, and that guy with his GF are a bunch of hillbillies that think they make "metal" inside that studio out in the mountains. As such, they never seem to shave and there is not a single cover of them that I dug. It's nothing but than snoring and distortion.

No need to be so judgemental of them, you can dislike what you want but there is no need to circle jerk it. Plus also they are metal and how the hell are they hillbillies for one thing hillbilly music (like Rockabilly and Bluegrass) although might have roots in the same thing metal does, plays completely different and has a different song sound than Metal

1 hour ago, Tcrumpen said:

No need to be so judgemental of them, you can dislike what you want but there is no need to circle jerk it. Plus also they are metal and how the hell are they hillbillies for one thing hillbilly music (like Rockabilly and Bluegrass) although might have roots in the same thing metal does, plays completely different and has a different song sound than Metal

This is one of the most controversial topics of music, what is metal and what isn't. Turning a song into shouting and heavy distortion doesn't always make it proper "metal", more like "crap". Plus, you can be a redneck and make metal. They are hillbillies and their covers suck, that was my opinion about them. Rockabilly can be fun to listen to and doesn't exactly translate to hillbilly music just because it's a form of country.

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

This is one of the most controversial topics of music, what is metal and what isn't. Turning a song into shouting and heavy distortion doesn't always make it proper "metal", more like "crap". Plus, you can be a redneck and make metal. They are hillbillies and their covers suck, that was my opinion about them. Rockabilly can be fun to listen to and doesn't exactly translate to hillbilly music just because it's a form of country.

Wait, that makes no sense.

Hillbillies are defined as people living in, or stemming from, rural areas in the Appalachia or Ozak mountains.

Both of the artist featured in video are from, and living in, Scandinavia. They're also both from bigger cities (Oslo and Stockholm respectively). So, neither of them fit the description of hillbillies.

You can certainly dislike their covers, that's all a matter of taste, but categorizing the performers as hillbillies is factually wrong and not a matter of opinion.

9 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Wait, that makes no sense.

Hillbillies are defined as people living in, or stemming from, rural areas in the Appalachia or Ozak mountains.

Both of the artist featured in video are from, and living in, Scandinavia. They're also both from bigger cities (Oslo and Stockholm respectively). So, neither of them fit the description of hillbillies.

You can certainly dislike their covers, that's all a matter of taste, but categorizing the performers as hillbillies is factually wrong and not a matter of opinion.

You don't seem to understand what hillbilly stands for. You can slap that term to any redneck, doesn't matter if the person if American, Australian or whatever. Their studio is out in the middle of nowhere and they come off as no more than hillbillies to me.

It is a matter of opinion. It's my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own.

Just now, Motifator said:

You don't seem to understand what hillbilly stands for. You can slap that term to any redneck, doesn't matter if the person if American, Australian or whatever. Their studio is out in the middle of nowhere and they come off as no more than hillbillies to me.

But their studio is not located in the middle of nowhere?

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Just now, Quadriplegic said:

But their studio is not located in the middle of nowhere?

Looked like it on a video of them I watched.

19 minutes ago, Motifator said:

No, I understand perfectly what hillbilly means.

The term "hillbilly" was coined in the late 19th century to describe people living in rural areas in Virginia and Tennessee and later developed into a common, derogatory term for people living in rural areas in the Eastern mountain chains of North America.

Nowhere in that definition is Norway, Scandinavia or rural living outside of North America mentioned.

Calling two Scandinavian lads "hillbillies" has about the same accuracy as calling them "zef".

Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but we aren't entitled to our own facts.

2 hours ago, Motifator said:

What do you class as "Metal" then?, as distortion is a big part of metal, granted shouting isn't but a lot of that track isn't shouting it's more rough singing to give it a bit of gritt, to me "shouting" is more what you here in the following song:

Or even this:

Both of which are Metal in their own right however the second is more a sub-genere called Metalcore. I'm not a huge fan of distorted vocals but they aren't all that bad; I've fou nd that most shouty metal vocalists can actually sing well to

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

No, I understand perfectly what hillbilly means.

The term "hillbilly" was coined in the late 19th century to describe people living in rural areas in Virginia and Tennessee and later developed into a common, derogatory term for people living in rural areas in the Eastern mountain chains of North America.

Nowhere in that definition is Norway, Scandinavia or rural living outside of North America mentioned.

Calling two Scandinavian lads "hillbillies" has about the same accuracy as calling them "zef".

Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but we aren't entitled to our own facts.

Doesn't look like it, why do you link to that? Tons of people call those that are ignorant, redneck and such hillbilly. It's clearly gone beyond being a specific term only used for a certain kind of people. Just like somebody calling another person autistic even when he or she isn't, because they watch anime. You understand the term but you insist on sticking only to its vocabulary meaning. This is a pointless discussion.

46 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

What do you class as "Metal" then?, as distortion is a big part of metal, granted shouting isn't but a lot of that track isn't shouting it's more rough singing to give it a bit of gritt, to me "shouting" is more what you here in the following song:

Or even this:

Both of which are Metal in their own right however the second is more a sub-genere called Metalcore. I'm not a huge fan of distorted vocals but they aren't all that bad; I've fou nd that most shouty metal vocalists can actually sing well to

I'm don't listen to Slipknot, however I checked the second one and it seems like nothing but a guy yelling into the mic along with a load of distortion.

Of course distortion is a big part of metal, when done right. Your example is like the video below, I'm also adding a proper metal song under it because you kind of asked:

8 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Doesn't look like it, why do you link to that? Tons of people call those that are ignorant, redneck and such hillbilly. It's clearly gone beyond being a specific term only used for a certain kind of people. Just like somebody calling another person autistic even when he or she isn't, because they watch anime. You understand the term but you insist on sticking only to its vocabulary meaning. This is a pointless discussion.

I'm don't listen to Slipknot, however I checked the second one and it seems like nothing but a guy yelling into the mic along with a load of distortion.

Of course distortion is a big part of metal, when done right. Your example is like the video below, I'm also adding a proper metal song under it because you kind of asked:

All metal is metal, there is no such thing as "proper metal" granted metal has A LOT of sub cultures but it's still classed as metal; Metal is an umbrella term for the genre, much like Rock is a Umbrella term (You have Blues Rock, heavy Rock, psychedelic rock). People may not like sub genres but it's still Metal; also i never claimed that the songs were what is "proper metal" i used it to emphasise what i class as shouting in Metal Music, i'm well aware of CSGuitars videos in fact i'm a fan of him myself; his rant is more aimed at people who use way to much gain and not adjusting their EQs to compensate for the gain. He is saying that to many people boost the fuck out of the gain and scoop the mids to much giving a muddy flat guitar tone that can't cut through in a live band situation. Although teh sound is ok for bedroom playing beacuse you don't have a band filling in for the bassy stuff

The riff he plays although sounds 'weak' on it's own will sound more metal with a full mix. The videos i listed also do that they are just using even more gain but they are EQ'd in a way that each instrument can be heard individually in the entire song

I do like that track by the way, although me personally i'm not a huge fan of pinch harmonics (aka squealies) i think they are a bit of a gimmick really; but i don't slate guitarists for using them unless they are using them in every bar of the song; kinda removes from the wow factor of a pinch harmonic

We all have our own opinions which is fine, but there is a difference between have an opinion on something and trying to force your ideals on someone

Why? Becuase I tend to hold to meanings in words and not turn the language into pure literary nihilism. 

Again, if the meaning is meaningless, then why did you call them hillbillies and not "zef", "redneck", "yuppie" or "billionaire"?

All of those would have been equally as meaningful or equally wrong.

And even by your own definition your comment doesn't make sense. 

As said above, both performers are from, and are currently living in, major cities, the studio is located in a town of reasonable size (for Norwegian standards, anyway) not too far from a major city. 

You also have no basis for a claim of ignorance as far as I can tell.

So you're essentially just gatekeeping for the sake of gatekeeping? Gotcha.