How many fans are too many?

BoyOnaBudget
Go to solution Solved by IAmAndre,

It's hard to give an answer without knowing your components, your case, and your current temps. However more case fans won't necessarily make your system run cooler. For instance a better CPU cooler would have a better impact than an insane amount of case fans. You might want to check this video: 

I have a MSI B450 Pro M2 MAX. I am planning to add 6 fans to my rig, adding up to 6 more fans in my PC. The fans draw 0.2A. There is only 1 Chassis fan header. So can I:

a. Use a Y splitter on two headers of my 4-slot hub?

b. use two spliiters, a 4-hub on chassis header and a Y splitter on CPU Fan header?

c. settle for 4 fans and the 4-hub?

P.S. the fans are Pure Wings 2(non-PWM) and will also be buying Pure Rock 2

It's hard to give an answer without knowing your components, your case, and your current temps. However more case fans won't necessarily make your system run cooler. For instance a better CPU cooler would have a better impact than an insane amount of case fans. You might want to check this video: 

It's been a long time but last I learned fan headers on motherboards typically have a maximum of 1Amp output. If your fans at 0.2A each you're going to be pushing what one header can do by itself.

PWM would have been really good here since you could have ran all of them off 12V direct then tap the PWM pin directly on-top your one motherboard header. That would have controlled them all and offered the necessary power delivery.

But I have to back IAmAndre here. You would be surprised about the diminishing returns of adding more fans on-top of more fans. If the air in your chassis is already moving freely through adding more fans really won't do much for you unless you're already having thermal issues.

When it’s too loud for you.. I love big cfm, the more the merrier.. noise isn’t a concern for me 👍🏻

Actually.. that is a lie. Noise is starting to bother me a little. I’ve scaled back on my fans I am down to 4 from 7 in my little meshify. But I do like my cool temps and summer is coming so they will probably go back in.. such a bipolar answer.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Ok guys, thanks for the advice. So here's what I'll do. I have one of those cheap fans which comes with the case(runs using SATA power) I'll use it as an exhaust for the Pure Rock 2. The four fans will be placed in 2 front intakes and 2 top exhausts, running from the DEEPCOOL 4 fan hub.

But do tell me, if the CPU fan header can be split using a splitter, and like may things in life, even if it can be done, should it really be done?