Can you build your own Android Smartphone or Tablet (like a Samsung or whatnot) from 'scratch'?

EJMB

I know... it's a stupid question please bear with me, a noob here. 

I was wondering....Could you build your own Android device from parts so that it has the features you want?

Like building a Note 20 Ultra with a headphone jack? or the S21 Ultra with expandable storage? Or a larger battery? Or larger storage? 

I know there would be case and software concerns though. 

PS

I know you can build a standard device when you find the parts like how Strange Parts did some time back (he built an S9 Plus I believe) and I do believe the environment would benefit if we'd reuse a lot of the parts (on a global scale) if the were functional of course and such. 

Given the current and ongoing shortage of electronics and PC parts... it got me thinking if we could or should be building anything with anything that's available. 

It's not possible at all to my knowledge. The closest thing you can do for diy tablet or smartphone is a raspberry pi and basically build everything else around it.

12 minutes ago, EJMB said:

Like building a Note 20 Ultra with a headphone jack? or the S21 Ultra with expandable storage? Or a larger battery? Or larger storage? 

I know there would be case and software concerns though.

I mean, this is basically what the phone manufacturers do. They build a device, then take the open source version of Android, customize it, then include the drivers needed for their hardware and any other changes required.

Could you personally do it? No offense, but that is very unlikely. You would not only need the knowledge to update/modify the operating system and drivers as needed, you'd also need the know-how, skills and tools required to be able to integrate all of the hardware and microcontrolers etc.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Most phones everything will be integrated into one board. So it's not practical, of course if you have the knowledge money and time you could do. you would also probably find the components you need are not sold in small quantities.

EDIT: i just now realise you alredy mention him in your post. oh well..

this guy has multiple videos on the subject: 

he also added a headphone jack to an iPhone. it involves a LOT of work though. prototyping and making custom PCB's.

From scratch?

That depends..

If I gave you a hammer and sent you off into the woods, how long until you can send me an email?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

15 minutes ago, James Evens said:

A shitty version yes.

Everything else no.

It is easier to start out with a Note 20 and hack stuff in. With current generation it will be quite hard to find enough space but if there is space it is just a question of soldering skills (installing the mod).  Installing mods might require unusual assembly like placing a "adaptor" PCB between the original PCB and part to hijack some pins.

So it is mainly a battle to get the flexPCB as small as possible with parts as tiny as 01005 (there are 008004 (200x100µm) out there but never had them).

The 'mods' is what I sorta what I want to get into  but I haven't seen videos/guides yet...just those that build from 'scratch' 

My most likely option is to find external cases/accesories for the phone but it isn't the same I guess. 

21 minutes ago, freeagent said:

From scratch?

That depends..

If I gave you a hammer and sent you off into the woods, how long until you can send me an email?

I didn't mean scratch as in raw materials but from like spare components from disassembled phones and such. 

But I do get your literal and figurative point. 

30 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I mean, this is basically what the phone manufacturers do. They build a device, then take the open source version of Android, customize it, then include the drivers needed for their hardware and any other changes required.

Could you personally do it? No offense, but that is very unlikely. You would not only need the knowledge to update/modify the operating system and drivers as needed, you'd also need the know-how, skills and tools required to be able to integrate all of the hardware and microcontrolers etc.

I was thinking along the lines of modding or hacking the hardware on phones... was wondering if that would need to be done from the ground up or would it be easier on a retail phone already but I haven't seen videos/guides on either. 

This would work if phones were modular.  But modular is the opposite of what manufacturers want, they want you to shell out for a completely new phone every 1-2 years instead of just upgrading a few parts as you see fit. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity