Places We Love

AlexTheGreatish

You can't buy a GPU but you can help out a local business.  Here are our favorites in Metro Vancouver, feel free to put your local favorites below.

Also apologies for the formatting, I got sent way to many recommendations by people in the office and it would take me forever to fix it all.

Langley/Further East:

Masala India Bistro - Their lunch specials are freaking amazing

https://www.foreveryourslingerie.ca/ - The super comfy bra shop

Coastal Coffee

Twins Coffee

Pho Kitchen

Evolve Martial Arts - Maple Ridge

New West:

Bunches and Blooms - You can know nothing about flowers but buddy will help you out. 

Craft Cafe - Incredible selection of coffee from around the world

Press Start (Vintage Games)

Queens Meat and Deli - Fantastic meat, cheese is also amazing

https://www.kozakeatery.ca/

Pizzeria Ludica

Hive Cafe

Waves Coffee (locations across the lower mainland, Riley likes the mocha)

Vancouver:

https://gigiblin.com/

https://www.chancho.ca/

https://www.cuchillo.ca/

https://www.leesdonuts.ca/donut-menu

http://www.nerowafflebar.com/

Blue Water Cafe

Resurrection Spirits
Odd Society
Do Chay

https://not-amazon-vancouver.pory.app/

Duffin's Donuts

Dank Mart

Pho Kitchen

Cafe Artigiano - Various Locations (DT-Burnaby)

https://www.snhobbies.com/ - Vancouver's most legit tiny RC shop

Burnaby/Coquitlam/Richmond/Surrey:

Elmo Baking Co. - Richmond

Stomping Grounds Cafe - Pitt Meadows
Creekside Coffee Factory - Coquitlam
C Market Coffee - Coquitlam
Standing Egg Coffee - Burnaby
Boom Beer - Surrey
Foamers' Folly Brewing Co. - Pitt Meadows
Patina Brewing Co. Brew House & BBQ - Port Coquitlam
Polito's Latin Café - Coquitlam
Midam Cafe & Bistro - Burnaby

Andy loves Japanese food:

Shiro Japanese in Vancouver
guu original thurlow
Hokkaido Ramen Santouka
Raisu in Vancouver
Suika Japanese Restaurant in vancouver

hi alex

i dont live there but thanks for the recommendations if i ever go 

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Whenever I make the trek to Vancouver from Calgary I always have to stop at Pajo's Fish and Chips in Richmond. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Did Linus finally remember the name of his favourite restaurant?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

A place out in Maple Ridge that I love for sushi is Aburiya Shushi on Dewdney. Highly recommend the West Coast roll or the Baked Salmon roll. They are delicious!

Good initiative to support local business. Unfortunately, at this side of the Pond everything is pretty much closed until well after Easter at least. However, practically all EU nations have some sort of stimulus package in place which supports entrepreneurs of various workforce sizes and by'n large, the number of redundancies is limited as a result. At least where I live 😛

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Back in the before times when I had to commute into Vancouver, AJ's Brooklyn Pizza is the BEST pizza in Vancouver.. on Broadway near Main. (only downside to WFH is it's too far now)
Saffrons in Burnaby (near Metrotown) also has the best Butter Chicken.

Well I came early so I will add some from where I live in Lisbon, Portugal.

Restaurants and Coffeeshops:

Café Tapas4U (Ajuda)

Ciau Cuore (Massamá)

O Nosso Prego (Queluz e outros)

Contraste (Massamá)

Picanharia (Massamá)

Fauna & Flora (Estrela)

Contrabando (Lisboa)

Local PC Stores:

ChipTec (Lisboa e outros)

PCDiga (Lisboa e Porto)

GlobalData (Lisboa)

NanoChip (Lisboa/Sintra)

CyberShop (Almada)

Others:

Barbearia Corte Real (Queluz)

Sow Fashion (Queluz)

A Funcional (Queluz)

Servelec (Queluz e Algés)

UnObviousLab (Lisboa)

There are much more I can't remember rn, but if anyone here is from Portugal feel free to complete this list 😁

If you ever are around the Boston/Providence area in New England, there are a few favorites of mine

Mac and Walt's is a bar/burger place in my town that is fairly good

There ism a restaurant named Spain that had a very good seafood dish

Faneuil Hall has food from around the world

The North end of Boston has great Italian food

Lobster Rolls and Clam Chowder for the classic New England fare

Does anyone have a list for Seattle? I've been meaning to try more places- not just food or technology, but anything else under the sun too.

PC in Profile

Hiiii, I'm from Valencia, Spain hehe

Hopefully this small list helps ^^

Khambú (Valencia)

La Llar Dels Somnis (Quart De Poblet)

Natura (Benageber)

Serendipity (Valencia)

Royal Doner Kebap (Cullera)

I'll chime in for Phoenix!

Organ Stop Pizza (Full Theater Organ with live performances, well worth the slightly expensive, but excellent pizza).

Chuckbox (cash only, fresh grilled burger place that's been in Tempe since the 70's, excellent)

Perfect Pear Bistro (Cute, small restaraunt in Tempe, with honestly the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had. Sweet pear bread, five cheeses, just incredible!)

Rustler's roost (expensive, but great food, great "western" ambiance, and an amazing view of the Phoenix valley).

Am now slightly sad about how short this list is.... Oh well.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

If you are in Montreal, Quebec or the surrounding areas, here are a few places that are dear to my heart. 

Le Toasteur: Small breakfast place with a really cosy interior. They have two locations and I've only been to the Villeray one, but I'm always happy with the food there. 

Brûleries Faro: Coffee shop and roaster. They have a couple locations in Montreal and Laval and I always have great service over there. The staff is also really knowledgeable. 

Yokato Yakobai: The best ramen I've ever had in Montreal. Super chill staff and amazing food. 

Aux 33 Tours: Record store with a pretty good selection and I've never had a bad interaction over there. 

QDC Burger: They are behind the Queue De Cheval restaurant in Downtown Montreal and are only opened during the summer I believe. Besr burger joint in Montreal, hands down. Try the "Jefferson" 

Ho Lee Chix: They are located in the foodie spot called "Le Central" in Quartier Des Spectacles They have amazing meals built around fried chicken and have delicious vegan options as well. 

21 minutes ago, FakeNSA said:

I'll chime in for Phoenix!

Organ Stop Pizza (Full Theater Organ with live performances, well worth the slightly expensive, but excellent pizza).

Chuckbox (cash only, fresh grilled burger place that's been in Tempe since the 70's, excellent)

Perfect Pear Bistro (Cute, small restaraunt in Tempe, with honestly the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had. Sweet pear bread, five cheeses, just incredible!)

Rustler's roost (expensive, but great food, great "western" ambiance, and an amazing view of the Phoenix valley).

Am now slightly sad about how short this list is.... Oh well.

Phoenix Gang rise up! 

I'm definitely going to second Chuckbox. It is so good and a cultural landmark I hope sticks around for the next 200 years. It's probably my favorite local restaurant.

Copper Still Moonshine Grill in Gilbert. Ostensibly a sports bar type place but their food is amazing.

El Paisano's in Tempe. A handful of locations that all do different things ranging from convenience store to restaurant to both, but the food they make there is incredible.

Another gem is Daily Jam, a breakfast place which has a few locations around the valley and they're all excellent!

Last one that immediately sticks out is ANYTHING in Downtown Gilbert. All great, not necessarily all local but you'll get something good down there.

I'm an East Valley person so I don't know a great deal downtown or in the West Valley, but would definitely love some recommendations!

EDIT: Here's some places I forgot: Changing Hands Bookstore: it's a bookstore! Zia Records: it's a record store! Desert Sky Games: Trading Card Game and Video Game store with some board games along the way. Been going here for years. Great staff. Amazing Discoveries: Trading Card Games and Board Games. Tons of locations across Arizona including Tucson. Great selection and excellent prices.

Hana sushi in Abbotsford (near Highstreet, or Ra Sushi if you are on the other side of Abbotsford) and Waka sushi (near Sportsplex and the Cineplex) in Walnut Grove/Langley area are some great sushi restaurants

Also Jim's Pizza which is on 88th ave and between 204th and 202nd (near an RBC and Subway) is the best pizza place in Langley.

In Richmond:

• Legends pub
    • best burgers
  • The Canadian Brewhouse & Grill
    • if you like puns, their menu is full of them
    • recommend the jalapeno poppers and their Donair poutine

In Steveston:

• Win Win Chick-n
    • best fried chicken I ever had
    • make sure you get the mashed potatoes with a side of their gravy
  • Outpost Donuts
    • awesome mini donuts
    • recommended are lemon and cheesecake
  • Best Bite Indian Cuisine
    • recommend their Biryanis that all come with raita, I like to add a side of butter sauce to it
    • also like their daal bowl
  • Little Mexico Cantina
    • recommend their tortilla soup
    • also like their tacos
  • Hog Shack
    • great slow cooked smoked meat
    • they also have the impossible burger, which really does taste like beef
    • specials are usually good
    • when they have it as a special, I highly recommend their gumbo with pulled pork added and a side of sour cream

Aaron's Restaurant in Cloverdale

family owned place that makes great pizza

GW2: Vettexl.9726

So a few local Places I love in Düsseldorf and would recommend to you:

Food:

• HeimWerk: Awesome Schnitzel and a great choice even if you are vegetarian or vegan.
  • Sandwichzeit: Great fresh Sandwiches for Lunch (local delivery only)

Entertainment (if it ever opens again):

• Alchemie Bar
  • Savoy Theater

Hairdresser/Barbershop:

• Hagis Barbershop

Local Business:

• Mage Store (Boardgames, Trading Cards, Pen&Paper)

My "Gaming" Rig:
i5-9600k
RTX2070 Super
Three tier storage (nvme, SSDs, HDD)
Used for coding, gaming, photo and video editing.

Love that Duffins Donuts was mentioned, I feel like no one will understand the magic of that place unless you visit it. 

I also recommend Four Winds Brewery in Delta (gotta give Delta some love). Great beer and tapas 

Here is my choices of places in Montreal, Canada ;

Food (some don't have websites, so I put a Google map link) ;

Tampopo

QDC burger (they have 3 locations, you can do a 2-in-1 and visit the St-Viateur location, it's a few street corner from Ubisoft Mtl)

Orange Julep

Kalbi Korean BBQ (they might be closed, the websites redirect somewhere else 😢 )

Harmonie pastry shop

Nouilles Star

Entertainment ;

Le Valet d'Coeur (board games and tabletop RPG, etc..)

Quebec City area ;

Food ;

Chez Ashton

Sakura Korean BBQ

Entertainment ;

L'imaginaire (board games, tabletop RPG, etc..)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I used to live in Vancouver up until late 2020, and I wanted to add some places, mostly food.

• 49th Parallel Cafe and Lucky's Dougnuts (Main & 13th, Yew & 4th, Fortius Bldg in Downtown): Consitently great coffee which tastes amazing even when cooled off, and killer doughnuts that are worth every bite. My favourite was the Chocolate Old Fashioned - nice crunchy body with a rich but not too sweet glaze.
  • Pallet Coffee roasters (multiple locations in Vancouver): Another great coffee location. I couldn't get to go there much but their espresso drinks (eg. lattes) were some of the best I've ever had.
  • Ignite Pizzeria (Restaurant at Main & 10th, Smaller parlor at Cordova & Water): A great pizza place that makes their pizzas fresh from a stove oven. Always served hot. It's a great place for lunch, late-night snacks or to hang out with friends (pre-pandemic, most seating was closed last time I checked)
  • Toshi Sushi (Main & 16th): A small, but top-tier sushi restaurant that I as a person of Japanese origin can confirm is truely authentic. Hours-long lineups on weekends were common pre-pandemic, and anything on the menu is worth the wait. Would reccomend the Nasu Dengakku (grilled eggplant with miso sauce) and the Chirashi-don (assorted sushi on rice)
  • Cockney Kings Fish & Chips (Kensington Shopping Mall in Burnaby. Linus actually dropped by this mall in Scrapyard Wars Episode 1b @5:20): A nice, homey restaurant that serves great fired food. Well known across northern Burnaby. I'm pretty sure they had all-you-can eat Fish and Chips on Mondays to Wednesdays,
  • Northern Noodle House (New Westminster Station): Last but certainly not least. An inconspicuous-looking Chinese noodle place in the busy New West Station, but is truely a hiddden gem. Serves the famous single-strand noodle in a variety of arrangements. I am also a great fan of their pan-fried dumpling: Juicy minced meat trapped inside a soft bread wrapping, pan-fired so the bottom is made crispy. They only serve the dumplings by the dozen, and each one is pretty big, but they're totally cool with you taking home what you couldn't fit in your stomach.

Abbotsford, BC

Streats-amazing tacos/burritos/poutine

Trading Post Brewery

Kojan Sushi

Bourdeurs Bistro

No Willow Video?  I'm disappointed.  Love that place!

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

-snip-

AWESOME!

Here are some of my recommendations:

Pastry

Restaurants

Note: I never tried take-out food from bellow. Typically, some food items aren't as good take out, especially if you are not nearby the place.

That said, I hope you give the place try once you can dine-in.

That is all that comes to mind at the moment