Older components as display pieces?

Mihle

Do any of you have any of your old components in your hope just sitting on a shelf or hanging on the wall as an display piece, or am I just weird?

I wouldn't have a super old one as that (green PCB), but if looks cool/have blue/black PCB.

I have my old 7970 GHz edition that died at some point hanging on the wall, without the cooler because that was not that good looking.

Also considering just having an old HDD with the lid off(so you can see the disks) sitting on a shelf, but not decided yet.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Definitely. I don't have as much as I used to, but I've still got some stuff sitting around as decoration pieces. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Not PC components, but I do have some handheld gaming devices (like the GameBoy) as display pieces. They are sort of in the same realm of older PC components (as in I don't actually use the GameBoy, as the GBA is my preferred handheld for GameBoy games), but I suppose they are a lot more recognizable to most people.

The HDD without the lid does sound really cool, I have seen some HDD clocks too, which seem quite awesome!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I did before I sold my collection

47DCD514-823C-4938-AC13-BD1094783C9C.jpeg.318d157a916cb4865eb2674acd620b2c.jpeg

if you’re gonna get into this, keep stuff around that’s actually interesting to you, rather than just whatever you have around

This is my server and it's decorations. I dug in the spare parts bin for stuff I thought looked good a while back. You're not weird, I think a lot of people do this sort of stuff.

server shelves.jpg

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

On 3/22/2021 at 9:57 AM, Mihle said:

Do any of you have any of your old components in your hope just sitting on a shelf or hanging on the wall as an display piece, or am I just weird?

I wouldn't have a super old one as that (green PCB), but if looks cool/have blue/black PCB.

I have my old 7970 GHz edition that died at some point hanging on the wall, without the cooler because that was not that good looking.

Also considering just having an old HDD with the lid off(so you can see the disks) sitting on a shelf, but not decided yet.

In a way I used to have the Mobo of my vintage Tandy 1000 RL.  Until some traces got scratched I bet it'd still boot too.   It s fun to show people what we used to have to work with.