Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

Just a few quotes from Palmer that, to me atleast, make this more like what I wanted. ( Injected cash, but no real change to the company).

I'm just pulling these from Palmer's reddit acc here.

What about this? 

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/25/facebook-oculus-vr-2-billion/'

Update: We're on the call now, and Mark Zuckerberg is already pointing out Facebook's acquisition of Instagram as an example of how the company is getting experience buying properties and allowing them to continue to operate independently. Zuckerberg called out virtual reality as one of the computing platforms of the future -- following desktops and mobile -- and yes, talked about building Facebook's advertising into it. Specifically, he talked about the potential of a virtual communication network, buying virtual goods, and down the line, advertising.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Well this weeks wan show is going to be intresting, slick rantage instead of linus rantage

Thank you so much for reminding me I need to pick up popcorn at the store tomorrow!

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

Well guys guys....calm down a little. I think they will let Oculus Rift work like they are working now, the extra money from facebook can't hurt.

I'd assume, that ads would be more integrated into a VR social network, rather than the device itself.

Or into some form of VR OS, and its accompanying apps, like iOS/Android have already.

I can't really see how ads would be added to the majority of content, unless it was added by dev's in the first place.

Try asking Palmer, or more likely its already been brought up and see if he or someone else in the know replies.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Except he confirmed virtual purchases and ads in oculus... so uhhh yeah.... 

Guess I didn't read the whole thing  :(

I'd assume, that ads would be more integrated into a VR social network, rather than the device itself.

Or into some form of VR OS, and its accompanying apps, like iOS/Android have already.

I can't really see how ads would be added to the majority of content, unless it was added by dev's in the first place.

Try asking Palmer, or more likely its already been brought up and see if he or someone else in the know replies.

I don't know honest, only time will tell. Here read what the Oculus founders just said here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/131786-oculus-founders-talk-about-facebook-acquisition/

Really thought Valve do something please lol....

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Just a few quotes from Palmer that, to me atleast, make this more like what I wanted. ( Injected cash, but no real change to the company).

I'm just pulling these from Palmer's reddit acc here.

Pure PR crap. He promised in the past he wouldn't have sold out as well, and see how that panned out. Oculus is dead. Let's see if maybe Valve gets back into the game.

Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

I guess we have different definitions of gimmick? I understood a gimmick to be something that flashes in popularity and then utterly vanishes from the market, not simply going mainstream.

I am saying VR tech will vanish. So I am predicting this will be a gimmick I do not disagree with your assessment. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's the end of the world as we know it. :unsure:

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Sony and Microsoft will dominate now. goddammit.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I thought people were pulling my leg on this one. Dear Lord did I shed a tear

[dong expanding intensifies]

CPU - Intel Pentium CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz GPU - Intel HD Graphics RAM - 3.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20) Sound Card/Audio - Conexant SmartAudio HD Storage - 298GB Hitachi HTS545032B9A300 (SATA) Motherboard - Base Board Product Name (CPU) Version PSK2CU-01Q01S.

Yay. My VR dreams have only been crushed, burned, shredded, thrown in the ocean, and fed to the sharks. Nothing much. (:

Holy shit you guys. This is not the end of the world. You act as if Satan himself purchased your best friend and enslaved him. You guys are just as bad as all the conservatives that jump on their feet and rage at Obama when Fox News tells them that Obama gave the internet to Russia and China. Remember the Joker meme? Making fun of people getting distraught about the Red Wedding on HBO, and then not giving a fuck about the bombings in Syria? This situation deserves a Joker meme about it. 

God damnit. Thanks for proving me right. Try to position all of your knees better so you don't hurt them when it jerks up and hits the desk.

Calm down bud, most of them are joking. Do remember the average age of members on this forum isn't particularly high.

gXMZVN1.gif

You think just because his name is Carmak he's above a good ol' scheme to get rich? He'll likely laugh all the way to the fucking bank after stopping at the lambo dealership.

he left Zenimax and co who worse than EA in terms of money hungryness at times, he loves development and he'll leave for greener pastures if he feels things are going down. Also do you think hes not already quite well off?

I'm now seeing why most people on the internet blame bad content on younger people. It's just, people are acting as if this is some horrible event that dooms us all. 

To some this means a lot to them so, its not surprising their going apeshit right now. I'm sure they'll grow out of it(I hope).

Here have some art from "Hyouka" for your troubles.

hLMKMBU.png

unfortunately, no images show up when I browse LTT. probably due to the filtering system on the school laptops. thanks though. I suppose the people that contributed to the kickstarter have the right to a bit of apeshit.

Awww you can't see the images? That saddens me.... T.T

I'm sure the people who contributed are pretty pissed right now but "oh well".

WHAT THE FUCK, MY DREAMS JUST SHATTERED before my very eyes(pun intended)

Fuck you, Facebook. I hope your business burns to the ground in a violent fire.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Oh god what have they done now there will be ads on the oculus  :o