Oculus Founders talk about Facebook acquisition

Fred Castellum

They're talking about how this is a good move and how it'll accelerate hiring and doing what they've always wanted to do

SOURCE: http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/25/oculus-founders-facebook-lets-us-bring-the-best-vr-experience/

For Luckey, who began work on the first Rift prototype while he was still in college, the fact that Facebook isn't a gaming company is actually a good thing. "Almost anyone in a gaming place would want us to do it based on their vision," he says. "We already had a vision for the company," Luckey told us in a brief post-announcement interview. "Facebook is going to let us do it, but with their resources behind it."

I'm not to sure about that... I'm still worried that Mark will be coming in plowing through the wall and monetizing everything over night. 

EDIT: oh btw he also said this

"We have zero interest in doing what someone else thinks is the right thing," he added.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

not to be that guy, but of course they're going to tell you it's good news  :ph34r:

being acquired by Facebook wouldn't require Oculus to sacrifice any of its independence

this is the only thing that I'm very skeptical about

Error: 410

not to be that guy, but of course they're going to tell you it's good news  :ph34r:

this is the only thing that I'm very skeptical about

Yeah yeah, I know they're gonna say its good news... I'm still bothered by this crap... 

I'm in no way supporting them just reporting news as it comes up. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

like i said im going to post this on anything regarding facebook and oculus
michael-scott-no.gif

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

For me, I backed Oculus for exactly 3 reasons:

Palmer Luckey

John Carmack

And because once I tried it, it worked.

The Facebook acquisition certainly won't negatively effect #3 (at least it's not obvious yet how it would). However, if anyone has more control or say on ANY decision then Palmer and John do, then I'm out. They were the top, they didn't answer to anyone but the consumers.

Now, by the very nature they answer to Facebook. I don't care if they say Facebook will leave them independent or whatever other PR stuff they'll say. John and Palmer now answer to someone other than the consumer/themselves.

So unless we find something in writing that proves the acquisition makes Facebook answer to Oculus in all VR decisions those two make, then I'm canceling my DK2 preordered the moment I post this comment. If you read this post and have a preorder for DK2, cancel it. Don't wait for Oculus to assure you that everything's fine- they don't exist anymore. Oculus IS Facebook now and everything that comes from anyone working there is now suspect.

The good news is I bought a PS4 on launch so I'm in the best position for Sony's new VR tech that might not be horrible.

I'll say it again Oculus doesn't exist anymore, they're Facebook now. Treat everything related to Oculus the same exact way you treat everything that's Facebook related.

-Source \u\MontyAtWork

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Facebook may give them independence for the most part...

But I'm sure they'll do something because they won't just leave Oculus untouched after buying it. Ads, social integration, whatever. It won't be good.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

STFU, They got 2 BILLION dollars for the company... think about that, imagine what they can do with that

Whoa whoa clam down lets keep it civil here.

gXMZVN1.gif

I'm sure that they are happy rolling in money.

Sure they are, wouldnt you be? I am certain that in there position you would do the same, and until John Carmack calls it quits you KNOW that the project is still good, carmack can get hired anywhere he joined oculus out of passion and pleasure. Not to mention he is already worth 4 million so he doesnt NEED to work at oculus

Hopefully Oculus won't been impacted by Facebook too much. If FB makes the Rift and other Oculus devices better, then I'm all for it. If not, then we will have a problem,

- Samo

CPU: Intel i7 4790k MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD3H RAM: 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti SC w/ ACX SSD: Samsung 820 128gb HDD: Seagate 1TB PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 800w Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Sure they are, wouldnt you be? I am certain that in there position you would do the same, and until John Carmack calls it quits you KNOW that the project is still good, carmack can get hired anywhere he joined oculus out of passion and pleasure. Not to mention he is already worth 4 million so he doesnt NEED to work at oculus

You do know were not angry about them being rich right? lol...

Yes, but I don't care if they have 2 trillion dollars, just don't ruin Oculus with greed and Facebook integration.

Yes, but I don't care if they have 2 trillion dollars, just don't ruin Oculus with greed and Facebook integration.

Suppose you have a point, but still, how bad could facebook integration be? What would it even be? Also whatever happens oculus did its job, it brought vr back, that was the goal and now Valve, Sony, and many others are making there own solution, so dont get to worried

Suppose you have a point, but still, how bad could facebook integration be? What would it even be? Also whatever happens oculus did its job, it brought vr back, that was the goal and now Valve, Sony, and many others are making there own solution, so dont get to worried

Yeah, but Oculus was kinda the whole thing lol.

Valve was sharing info with oculus on their VR tech. They stated they wouldn't compete with them at some point, no idea if they'll do anything in the VR market now.

i wouldnt have mind much of Google or microsoft bought Oculus

but NOT facebook

i mean i would rather have apple buy Oculus that facebook

palmer is more interested on VR than anything else even if FB will ruin it with the stupid crap they always do

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Valve was sharing info with oculus on their VR tech. They stated they wouldn't compete with them at some point, no idea if they'll do anything in the VR market now.

You can bet your sweet ass valve already reverse engineered a occolus copy and are already improving on it

TheNinjaNextDor, on 25 Mar 2014 - 8:19 PM, said:

I'm sure that they are happy rolling in money.

I personally think they should refund the kickstarter founders, they didn't back a facebook based VR system. They say it won't affect it, but I am almost certain that it will have some retarded facebook integration asking you to share every game you play on facebook. I am actually thinking about getting a PS4 and their VR just because of this FB bullshit.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD