TrueNAS disks not showing up in storage>Pools

Ok, so I have 0 knowledge of networking, but I was following this tutorial(On a VM(virtual box)), and I got stuck on the step where I have to select a disk from available disks in storage>Pools. 

I checked storage > disks and my disk shows up

image.thumb.png.f7ff29905283c2a9b7f1c12f5a91c036.png

I tried googling my problem but I didn't understand them.

this is my virtual box storage configuration
image.png.3c23c869b642e772885ac53a460fa163.png

please explain like you would to a 5 year old or just give me instructions

Thank you for your time

20 minutes ago, MKSanic said:

Ok, so I have 0 knowledge of networking, but I was following this tutorial(On a VM(virtual box)), and I got stuck on the step where I have to select a disk from available disks in storage>Pools. 

I checked storage > disks and my disk shows up

image.thumb.png.f7ff29905283c2a9b7f1c12f5a91c036.png

I tried googling my problem but I didn't understand them.

this is my virtual box storage configuration
image.png.3c23c869b642e772885ac53a460fa163.png

please explain like you would to a 5 year old or just give me instructions

Thank you for your time

Why are you trying to do this in virtual box..?

But I am not at home at the moment to log into my webUI. But... unless I am totally mistaken, your seeing only the boot drive. Are you saying your not sure why you are only seeing the boot drive? Have you created a virtual disc for the actual pool? Are you going to pass drives through for truenas to use (can virtual box pass through like that? I am not even sure). 

Basically, what exactly are you asking?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Why are you trying to do this in virtual box..?

I don't have another pc to run this on.

58 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

drive. Are you saying your not sure why you are only seeing the boot drive?

I see it in the disks but i can't see it when creating pools

Are you going to pass drives through for truenas to use (can virtual box pass through like that? I am not even sure). 

i  don't know what that means

Basically, what exactly are you asking?

A solution to see my drive when creating pools

3 minutes ago, MKSanic said:

my drive when creating pools

image.png.2f7c780f27a71efaa97d546117d1ace3.png

this is what happens right now. it is supposed to show my disks, like in the tutorial I was following

1 hour ago, MKSanic said:

image.png.2f7c780f27a71efaa97d546117d1ace3.png

this is what happens right now. it is supposed to show my disks, like in the tutorial I was following

Why do you need to run truenas? What is the goal of this project? Unless I am blind, that tutorial has nothing to do with virtualization? 

How many virtual discs did you create in virtual box? You need one for boot, and one for your pool. With that said, can truenas even create a pool with a virtual disc? I assume probably, but that is very much not ideal and not how it’s meant to be used. ZFS wants bare metal drive access, passing things through a hypervisor (virtual box) is not ideal unless you can pass the entire disc through to give ZFS bare metal access. Even without that though, passing through a virtual drive for use in a vdev.... seems like an even worse idea. Again, this is just not how this is meant to be used. It may be able to be made to work, but don’t rely on it continually working, or store any important data on this system. Again, what’s the use case for this, why did you pick virtualbox, why did you pick truenas, and what are you trying to accomplish?  

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

If I'm not mistaken TrueNAS & FreeNAS for that matter cannot use the boot disk as a drive in a new pool for storage.

Create a second virtual disk then go back into that menu and see if it shows up.

But yeah, you shouldn't run FreeNAS/TrueNAS in a VM unless you can pass a HBA and dedicated drives through to it.

58 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If I'm not mistaken TrueNAS & FreeNAS for that matter cannot use the boot disk as a drive in a new pool for storage.

Create a second virtual disk then go back into that menu and see if it shows up.

But yeah, you shouldn't run FreeNAS/TrueNAS in a VM unless you can pass a HBA and dedicated drives through to it.

Correct on all points

If you just have the one PC, and want to say run a fileserver for backing up computers and storing files in general... and or using a media server. Then I would really suggest just setting up network shares in windows itself, and running a media server like plex/emby/jellyfin to manage your media and make it all nice and slick.

Depending on what the PC is doing at the time, you may not have a good experience trying to do certain things though.

If you could give us even a rough idea of what you want to accomplish with this, then we might be able to suggest something.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini