Would like to create a program to control a robot with an android.

polak

Hello forum! I'm doing a school project on how robot surgery is more efficient and out-performing than the traditional laproscopic surgery that surgeons use today. I wanted to use this robot arm, (http://www.owirobot.com/robotic-arm-edge-1/) to control its movements using text messages being sent to my android phone which will be connected to it. 

I found the source code!

http://notbrainsurgery.livejournal.com/38622.html

What language would i need to do to accomplish this? 

There is a basic program already available, where you run the program with an option, it will perform the task. I was wondering if i can write a program in python that will fire the program with the appropriate option specified in the text message like "turn clockwise". 

I'm very new to programming but i have extensive experience in linux and the terminal. 

I will be seriously appreciative and will even donate Doge Coin if someone holds my hand through it.

Thanks again!

It's clearly C-based. Which is confirmed by the fact they use libusb, a C library

that sample code already controls the arm, at this point you just need to find a way to make your phone communicate to your pc

i have no idea about how to program on android, but if you could just build a simple TCP/IP socket connection, you could remotely control the arm, which would be quite flexible imho, and would work as an interface towards any other device as well

there could be easier way to do it, but as i said, i have no idea

yes, you can call that program from a python program, or even a bash script, that would be enough for just translating a string into an arm command

but if you go for a socket solution, doing everything in the same C program would be much more elegant

bear in mind that that arm is not built for extreme precision: you just tell it to move, and it will move until you tell him to stop

you can't tell it "move by x degrees, move by x millimiters"