Mining with a custom water loop. Okay or should I stay away?

How likely is it that something will go wrong if I leave my PC ON and walk away? Or does anyone mine with a custom loop?

If something is to go wrong it can do so at any time. You can be in the other room doing something or in front of the PC and playing a game. I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Generally speaking if you have set up your customer loop properly with good quality components it is just as likely for it to fail as any other more mainstream liquid cooling solution, like an AIO. If you are concerned about reliability, choosing a cooling solution that doesn't include water and a pump might have been a better option. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

29 minutes ago, DailyMod said:

How likely is it that something will go wrong if I leave my PC ON and walk away?

I'm confident with my loop and I used to mine with my AIO carefree. I'm new to custom loops though and curious if others leave their PC on overnight mining. I know I should of gone with air cooling but its more of a cosmetic flex kind of thing and thought it looked way cooler with the reservoir  and tubing filling the case. I bought the Corsair CPU hard tubing kit and for the past two weeks has been working as should.

My custom loop PC has been doing an equivalent high load continuously ever since the pandemic began. Some water has evaporated out that should be replaced, but otherwise has been fine.

If its built right there wont be an issue how you use it. 

I mined with all my water cooled rigs for months. I just hate it because of the dust build up and they were designed for alot of cards in mind and to have the fans audible while used. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

One of my watercooled pc’s is running 24/7 it is in my kids bedroom so I can be bothered to mine on it due to the heat coming out from it. However it is still on slmost all the time. Did not have any problems with it.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

did you build the loop properly? does it leak? is there proper waterflow over all components?

If you answered Y,N,Y then you my friend are good to go and power that sucker on and let 'er rip.

I have a 5700xt watercooled i run 24/7 mining. the advantage of water cooled mining is you can crank up the overclocks for more mining speed. on air my card memory was 103c while mining with a light OC. on water with a maxed out OC it is at 60c. i gained about 7mh/s on ETH from that difference.

If you want to be sure, get a controller board that has headers for moisture/water sensors. You could place those in places that would definitely get wet when something leaks and make it trigger an emergency shut off. I wouldn't worry though.

However, you might want to make sure that your GPU blocks are well designed and come in contact with all stressed components. With a 24/7 loads some components, that sometimes are left out (chokes) might not like the low airflow in heating up conditions and might fail. The reason is not so much the mining itself but sub-par components in non-ideal conditions under prolonged stress. It might fail down the line anyways but mining or heavy prolonged computations can accelerate the process.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!