System restarting with Gigabyte Visions OC RTX 3080 and RM850W PSU

nobody_cares
11 hours ago, ForwardVoltage said:

Transient handling wise, it's not on the list of can't-handle-current-spikes, but the usual non-competitive pricing (Enermax be slamming with deals and MSI with their "new" unit too) makes it hard to recommend better quality units at the same wattages and efficiency levels (since that's how most of the general populace buy their units). 

Pricing is all over the place.  Corsair can't control that.  Some factories have limited capability due to COVID, still.  Shipping lanes are still backed up.  And we're stuck with tariffs on computer parts unless someone "smuggles" components into the country.  PSUs are still largely a commodity market.  If you don't have your product available at a "reasonable" (not tariff impacted or non-scalper price) a person will just buy something else.   There's no brand loyalty.

Okay I didn't get this issue for a few days but it just happened again. I will be buying a new PSU. I am 99% certain that is what is causing this. 

Also for anyone wondering Linus actually gets the exact issue I get in this video. He fixes it when adding a new PSU as his PC also restarts because there is not enough power with the 3090 SLI. 

1 hour ago, nobody_cares said:

Also for anyone wondering Linus actually gets the exact issue I get in this video. He fixes it when adding a new PSU as his PC also restarts because there is not enough power with the 3090 SLI. 

It's not the power supply...

Linus was using a Seasonic Prime TX 1000w to power a system with two 3090s, while you're using a Corsair RM850 to power a single 3080... 

1 hour ago, nobody_cares said:

Okay I didn't get this issue for a few days but it just happened again. I will be buying a new PSU. I am 99% certain that is what is causing this. 

Let us know how it goes ounce you get the new PSU. 

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 hour ago, electropical said:

It's not the power supply...

Linus was using a Seasonic Prime TX 1000w to power a system with two 3090s, while you're using a Corsair RM850 to power a single 3080... 

I mean like the exact same thing happens. The PC restarts and it was because of the PSU. That's the exact thing that happens to my PC does that not mean it is also the PSU? 

Okay small update for whoever cares or is having this issue. 

After doing a lot of research on upgrading my PSU I was quite confused that most people with 850W were not having issues at all. This led me down a rabbit hole and I think I found the cause for the reboots. 

When my GPU was built I noticed that they used a Y split cable to connect to the PSU. Which means one PCIE cable that splits into 2 which go in the GPU. On doing more research I realised people were having reboots happening with this setup and this is not recommended for powerful GPUs like the 3080. 

So I’ve fixed this up and now have 2 seperate cables for each slot. I’ll test this out now for about a week. If there are no restarts it’s safe to say my issue is fixed and my wallet is safe.

16 minutes ago, nobody_cares said:

So I’ve fixed this up and now have 2 seperate cables for each slot. I’ll test this out now for about a week. If there are no restarts it’s safe to say my issue is fixed and my wallet is safe.

I don't think that's the issue, the RM has single-rail on the 12V. That fix makes sense in a multi rail OCP PSUs, but not in 12V single-rail PSUs.

2 hours ago, nobody_cares said:

Okay small update for whoever cares or is having this issue. 

After doing a lot of research on upgrading my PSU I was quite confused that most people with 850W were not having issues at all. This led me down a rabbit hole and I think I found the cause for the reboots. 

When my GPU was built I noticed that they used a Y split cable to connect to the PSU. Which means one PCIE cable that splits into 2 which go in the GPU. On doing more research I realised people were having reboots happening with this setup and this is not recommended for powerful GPUs like the 3080. 

2 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

I don't think that's the issue, the RM has single-rail on the 12V. That fix makes sense in a multi rail OCP PSUs, but not in 12V single-rail PSUs.

It could.  Ohm's law.  You're putting the load of two connectors onto one modular plug.  Voltages could theoretically drop below UVP threshold.  

Let's see if that solves OP's problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 3:40 AM, boghubodaghi said:

On 3/23/2021 at 6:20 AM, jonnyGURU said:

It could.  Ohm's law.  You're putting the load of two connectors onto one modular plug.  Voltages could theoretically drop below UVP threshold.  

Let's see if that solves OP's problem.

Thanks for the comments guys, I just had a restart now even after changing from a Y cable. I think it has to be the PSU itself at this point.