The Mystery of the hella jank Network connection

Okay so this problem is super mundane but its screwing up my whole life. Dear Sleuths, do you think you can solve the mystery?

So one day (I think it was even after I changed computer cases before changing back to the original one) my internet connection started to get bizarre. I have a high speed ethernet that goes directly to the router and it had been working fine for years, however something seems to have happened to it.

During downloads it now randomly drops to 0 KBPS and tanks the download.

I tried replacing the cable. I had my ISP provider send a technician to try everything and no problems were found. I'm worried that there must be something that warped within the motherboard except...

Downloads on steam work fine. Uploads and download tests read as normal. Video conferencing is fine too.

I rip a lot of video as part of my job...

Help me LTT Forums, you are my only hope.

Did you try a different computer connected to this network cable? Did you try booting a different Windows instance or GNU/Linux to see how the download behaviour changes if at all?

As the poster before mentioned, try with another computer and report back.

Could check MTU settings?  I know in the early days of win7 i had to jack with MTU settings and make them under 1500 to get stable connections, but haven't dealt with that in a decade it feels like. 

There could still be a wiring issue from the provider.

My father in law had random internet drops, but the TV service never had a problem. Took 4 techs to find a wonky coax coupler at the pole. Literally a $1 part caused everyone inclined maybe headaches.  

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

16 hours ago, HelplessinNorthHollywood said:

do you think you can solve the mystery?

1. What kind of internet connection?
  2. What speeds are you promised?
  3. Have you manipulated/tweaked any TCP/IP settings?
  4. Is anyone else accessing the internet on your network at the same time as you?

Things to try:

1. Power-cycle the internet gateway/modem/router and PC.
  2. Uninstall the current network adapter drivers and install the latest version from the manufacturer of the adapter.
  3. Run these suggested troubleshooting tips as per Microsoft.

1. Ethernet
2.440 Mbps
3. Not to my knowledged
4. Sometimes my roommate but it happens when they are not home.

I have done all three of those steps