can anyone tell me if this is a good router/modem combo?

dreamcast4599

ok so i use cox communications as my ISP and i also use there 50 megs internet service. i currently rent a modem from them for 9$ a month plus the 56$ i pay for my service. i wanted to buy a modem rather then rent one to save a lil money, the modem im looking at buying is the NETGEAR AC1750 680 Mbps 4 Port Gigabit Wireless AC Router. i called cox and they said it will work with there service just wondering what the pros here think about this modem

modem.jpg

Spectrum and Cox i believe are starting to move to DOCSIS 3.1, and that router is only rated for 3.0

However I doubt you'll ever utilize the full 3.1 bandwidth, and that model including WiFi ac is pretty good too. Not sure what price you're getting it for but at first glance yeah honestly it looks good enough for me at least to confidently say as long as people are reviewing it well you're good to go.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

6 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Spectrum and Cox i believe are starting to move to DOCSIS 3.1, and that router is only rated for 3.0

However I doubt you'll ever utilize the full 3.1 bandwidth, and that model including WiFi ac is pretty good too. Not sure what price you're getting it for but at first glance yeah honestly it looks good enough for me at least to confidently say as long as people are reviewing it well you're good to go.

@DaJakerBoss would cost me 40$ used from ebay seller listed it as pre owned but working

18 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@DaJakerBoss would cost me 40$ used from ebay seller listed it as pre owned but working

looks good then!

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

44 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

Need to be careful with pre used. If the modem is still registered to someone else's account it can cause issue for provisioning. Also Modem/Router combos tend to suck when it comes to WiFi performance. Its always best to use a modem and separate router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

can you clarify what you mean issue for provision? also i prefer a router combo as it saves space and i dont use that much on wifi just my cellphone for the ocassional video

i must admit i have been to so many routers in my life, with high bandwith, i found real stability the day i seperated the two devices, to an ER4 and Unifi accesspoints..

to have a dedicated modem, with a high performance chipset is such a great thing.

3 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

can you clarify what you mean issue for provision?

If its registered with a different account, they wont provision it period. Ive read about this happening. Where customers forget to tell them specifically to remove the old modem, as sometimes the cable co is lazy and it could take them awhile. So when a new customer tries to register the the modem on their account they see its associated with another account and refuse to put it on yours. Really only an issue is another Cox customer used that modem before you. 

4 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

lso i prefer a router combo as it saves space and i dont use that much on wifi just my cellphone for the ocassional video

Well just keep in mind, If you have issues is probably because the combo unit. They tend to be unstable and overheat easily and the WiFi sucks. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.