Would A Non-ISP Router Give Lower Ping And Better Downloads Etc.?

Swiizy

I was thinking about getting a new router because I can't play PCVR games with my Oculus Quest wirelessly without having issues so I asked for some help and people recommended a new router. So I was just wondering if a new router would give lower ping and better download/upload. I was wanting to get a cheap one that would help with the VR issues and someone recommended this one. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07N1L5HX1?pf_rd_r=B6WZ2TP621N1CDCRRCN5&pf_rd_p=05326fd5-c43e-4948-99b1-a65b129fdd73&pd_rd_r=c6bfb281-0853-4bd3-bf23-bb049254c2c8&pd_rd_w=S9o6f&pd_rd_wg=9X5EV&ref_=pd_gw_unk

I don't know if this is a obvious question or not. I know absolutely nothing about routers.

Id get a fairly high quality one for better wifi for the quest.

What speeds do you get from your ISP? it probalby won't help with wired, but wifi may improve(depends on the unit your isp supplies)

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get a fairly high quality one for better wifi for the quest.

What speeds do you get from your ISP? it probalby won't help with wired, but wifi may improve(depends on the unit your isp supplies)

I get around 930 download and 620 upload.

I never use the ISP supplied Router/Modem they provide. It's insane what they charge to rent it per month, and they're generally of low quality. This is at least my experience with Comcast...

I would go to Best Buy, pick up a non-wifi-non-router cable modem, get a good separate router, hardwire everything, reap the benefits of consistency running higher end networking equipment. 

That being said, I have DSL at my new house, and I'm limited by the switch center to 8Mbps down, 1mbps up. So my internet is so slow, it doesn't matter that I use my own equipment. I still turned off the router functionality from the Ziply Modem, and use my own to hardwire everything. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

1 minute ago, Swiizy said:

I get around 930 download and 620 upload.

What ISP do you have? Id get a higher end router with those speeds?

4 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

I never use the ISP supplied Router/Modem they provide. It's insane what they charge to rent it per month, and they're generally of low quality. 

Go to Best Buy, pick up a non-wifi-non-router cable modem, get a good separate router, hardwire everything, reap the benefits. 

How much would all that be? I don't want to spend a lot.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What ISP do you have? Id get a higher end router with those speeds?

I use Telus.

2 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

How much would all that be? I don't want to speed a lot.

Figure a couple hundred bucks. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

3 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

I use Telus.

what router do you have now? Your isp router is likely better than the one you linked with those speeds.

what router do you have now? Your isp router is likely better than the one you linked with those speeds.

I just use the one they gave us.

Which model?

How do I check? I'm not sure what model

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is there any model numbers on the unit?

Should be T3200M

2 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

Should be T3200M

Seems like the wifi is already about the same as they one you linked. I would get a ax router these days atleast, 4x4 would be reccomended.

Seems like the wifi is already about the same as they one you linked. I would get a ax router these days atleast, 4x4 would be reccomended.

Are there any good cheapish ones you would recommend and would this completely fix the VR issues or at least help quite a bit?

5 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

Are there any good cheapish ones you would recommend and would this completely fix the VR issues or at least help quite a bit?

How about something like this 

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AX3000-802-11ax-Lifetime-Whole-Home/dp/B084BNH26P/ref=sr_1_3?crid=11LO5HWFEUWCM&dchild=1&keywords=asus+ax86u&qid=1614367353&sprefix=asus+ax%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AX5400-Router-Archer-AX73/dp/B08TH4D3QV/ref=sr_1_28?dchild=1&keywords=ax+router&qid=1614367408&s=electronics&sr=1-28

Id try to get a higher end router to ahndle your higher speeds.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are those the best cheapish ones out there or are there cheaper? Because those are pretty expensive.

4 minutes ago, Swiizy said:

Are those the best cheapish ones out there or are there cheaper? Because those are pretty expensive.

THose seem like good options. I wouldn't go too much cheaper as the wifi on your current box is ok, so no point in spending money for the same quality wifi. 

Are you in the same room as the router when playing games? Are you using 5ghz wifi?

THose seem like good options. I wouldn't go too much cheaper as the wifi on your current box is ok, so no point in spending money for the same quality wifi. 

Are you in the same room as the router when playing games? Are you using 5ghz wifi?

I am not in the same room and I'm using ethernet.

Just now, Swiizy said:

I am not in the same room and I'm using ethernet.

The quest is connected via ethernet?

Id try testing the quest with it in the same range, wifi speed goes down fast with distance.

The quest is connected via ethernet?

Id try testing the quest with it in the same range, wifi speed goes down fast with distance.

Oh sorry I thought you were talking about my PC lol. Yes I'm pretty sure I am using 5ghz though. I can try moving my router closer to my room.

1 minute ago, Swiizy said:

Oh sorry I thought you were talking about my PC lol. Yes I'm pretty sure I am using 5ghz though.

Id make sure you are using 5ghz and put it in the same room as the router and see if that helps.

Id make sure you are using 5ghz and put it in the same room as the router and see if that helps.

I'll try moving it closer and see if that makes any difference.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think the closest one to me is right under my room. Is a WEB6000Q a router? It's says Wireless Network Adapter when I search it up so I assume it is.