HELP! Extremly hot CPU 102,5°C

Darkslyr
Go to solution Solved by Darkslyr,

HWinfo displayed a max CPU temprature of 102,5°C! I have a Ryzen 5 3600xt and a stock cooler on top of it with the pre-applied thermal paste. My case is a be quiet pure base 500 which came with 2 pre-installed fans.

Any thing I can do to lower the temperature? I dont want my cpu to die.

HWinfo displayed a max CPU temprature of 102,5°C! I have a Ryzen 5 3600xt and a stock cooler on top of it with the pre-applied thermal paste. My case is a be quiet pure base 500 which came with 2 pre-installed fans.

A few things:
Is the CPU under load?

Are the fans ramping up?

Have you checked the connectors?

Current Rig:

Mobo - MSI B450 Pro-Max VDH | CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 (AMD duh) | GPU - GTX 1660 Super (MSI) | WAM - 2 x 8GB 3200MHz (G.SKILLS Ripjaws)Storage - 1 x 256GB SSD (Crucial MX500) + 1 x 2TB | HDD 7200RPM (Seagate Barracuda) | PSU - Cooler Master 450W | Case - Cooler Master Q300L | Display - Asus VP248QG (Main) + AOC 24B1W1 | Other Stuff - Bloody B120 (Keyboard) + HP X220 Gaming Mouse + Asus A541UJ (Laptop)

4 minutes ago, Darkslyr said:

What were you doing? What is your idle temperature? The TjMax of the 3600xt is 95c iirc, so I'm not really sure how HWinfo displayed 102.5c

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

14 minutes ago, Darkslyr said:

Try removing the side panel, if the temps are fine, then you need more fans, as there isn't enough airflow in the case. If it is still very high, maybe try new thermal paste, or a different cooler. Also what are the temps when not doing anything?

32 minutes ago, Darkslyr said:

Are you sure you were reading the temperatures correctly?? You didn't mix up Tmax with the actual temperatures? 

What were you doing on the computer at the time you saw this temperature reading? Was it under a load at all? Do you have adequate airflow in your case? Check by removing the side panel and see if temperatures improve. Are you overclocking at all?? What are the VCORE voltages like? Ryzen tends to pump extra voltage at idle which results in higher temperatures. Did you recently just put the build together and saw these temperatures?? Can be bad mounting of the CPU cooler. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

*** Thread cleaned ***

Try to stay on topic and do not derail.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/25/2021 at 8:58 PM, MigasTigas said:

A few things:
Is the CPU under load?

Are the fans ramping up?

Have you checked the connectors?

I have never seen more than 50% cpu usage while gaming what I do mostly on my pc.

I switched in bios the fan speed to 100% on all fans because I was hoping to reduce the temp so I dont know.

All 3 fans are spinning.

I was looking at the CPU (Tctl/Tdie) temps but the other cpu temps ar just as high as the CPU (Tctl/Tdie).

index.jpg

On 2/25/2021 at 9:09 PM, Latvian Video said:

Try removing the side panel, if the temps are fine, then you need more fans, as there isn't enough airflow in the case. If it is still very high, maybe try new thermal paste, or a different cooler. Also what are the temps when not doing anything?

As soon as I start cinebench r20 within ~10 seconds the temps rise above 100°C and as soon as I stopp the benchmark it falls down to 40-55°C as long the pc is completely idle, but it falls slower down than temps rise up. When the side pannel is open the temp falls down a little bit quicker that with a closed side pannel. I'd have to order thermal paste before I could try with new one on the cpu because I dont have any thermal paste at home.

Is CPU Package Power in HWinfo the total Watt consumption of my cpu? The max CPU Package Power is 125W.

13 minutes ago, Darkslyr said:

I was looking at the CPU (Tctl/Tdie) temps but the other cpu temps ar just as high as the CPU (Tctl/Tdie).

index.jpg

Judging by the values I think the thermal solution is not good, all fans at 100% and yet is still too high might indicate either the thermal solution or something is wrong with the CPU or its sensors.

Current Rig:

Mobo - MSI B450 Pro-Max VDH | CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 (AMD duh) | GPU - GTX 1660 Super (MSI) | WAM - 2 x 8GB 3200MHz (G.SKILLS Ripjaws)Storage - 1 x 256GB SSD (Crucial MX500) + 1 x 2TB | HDD 7200RPM (Seagate Barracuda) | PSU - Cooler Master 450W | Case - Cooler Master Q300L | Display - Asus VP248QG (Main) + AOC 24B1W1 | Other Stuff - Bloody B120 (Keyboard) + HP X220 Gaming Mouse + Asus A541UJ (Laptop)

12 hours ago, MigasTigas said:

Judging by the values I think the thermal solution is not good, all fans at 100% and yet is still too high might indicate either the thermal solution or something is wrong with the CPU or its sensors.

Also idk if the stock cooler would be enough, as the cooler which comes with the 3600 gets to about 90°C. But better start with the cheaper and easier things, like replacing the thermal paste

7 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Also idk if the stock cooler would be enough, as the cooler which comes with the 3600 gets to about 90°C. But better start with the cheaper and easier things, like replacing the thermal paste

Under load is capable, unless you want to feel sure that it is always cooled you don't need to swap coolers

Current Rig:

I swapped the stock cooler with an after market cooler with 190W TDP and under load the cpu now has a max temp of 83°C. And I used MX-4 Thermal paste. Looks like a good choise so far.