Socketed GPU?

olliecoding321
1 minute ago, olliecoding321 said:

I didn't know that it is impossible for people outside of pc part companies to to come up with new ideas for tech

No, it's not that it's a bad idea.

It's that it's a bad idea right now because we don't need to.

Changing something that's almost 20 years old now for no reason other than that "it's new" is not a good reason.

elephants

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

You need some more about math because half of 1 amp will be too much for something that needs .05a.

5ma is 0.005a

0.05a is 50ma

2 minutes ago, olliecoding321 said:

I am sorry that I suggested the creation of a new type of technology I didn't know that it is impossible for people outside of pc part companies to to come up with new ideas for tech

It's just a bad idea. Now good ideas that non tech people have come up with:

1. Automatic telephone system- created by a (very petty, might I add) undertaker
  2. Intel not being so sh*tty with there mid and low end boards- all consumers ever

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5ma is 0.005a

0.05a is 50ma

I said 1a and .05a

You said .05a was half of 1a. 

That's not true.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, olliecoding321 said:

I am suggesting a new type of PCIe card

So MXM 4.0?
These failed.

Failed HARD.

elephants

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It's just a bad idea. Now good ideas that non tech people have come up with:

1. Automatic telephone system- created by a (very petty, might I add) undertaker
  2. Intel not being so sh*tty with there mid and low end boards- all consumers ever

I am sorry but I like to think of new ways of doing things

I said 1a and .05a

You said .05a was half of 1a. 

That's not true.

i said half of 1a is 0.5

Just now, olliecoding321 said:

Yeah. And you like to argue with people who point out flaws.

I'm all it for New ideas and ways to do things, but the people need to realise oitations and adapt.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

So MXM 4.0?
These failed.

Failed HARD.

just because one new thing failed doesn't mean that every other new thing has to.

I never knew that we aren't able to think beyond what we have now and believe in new things

Yeah. And you like to argue with people who point out flaws.

I'm all it for New ideas and ways to do things, but the people need to realise oitations and adapt.

because I try to modify my ideas to get rid of flaws and to try to think of something that could work

because I try to modify my ideas to get rid of flaws and to try to think of something that could work

it's called inventing

just because one new thing failed doesn't mean that every other new thing has to.

There were 3 revisions of MXM.

Each one never succeeded.

Once something fails 3 times, it won't succeed again. There's a building near me that has had 19 restaurants in it now. Each one has failed, whether it be in weeks, months, or years.

But they always have gone out of business before 2 years.

I never knew that we aren't able to think beyond what we have now and believe in new things

Who said we aren't innovating?
We have PCIe 6.0 in the works, with 128 GB (that's GigaBYTES) per second theoretical transfer speed.

elephants

I'm done at this point. Someone who takes criticism and turned it into saying you can't have ideas is someone I don't want to have a conversation with.

User ignored.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, olliecoding321 said:

I am sorry that I suggested the creation of a new type of technology I didn't know that it is impossible for people outside of pc part companies to to come up with new ideas for tech

There's nothing wrong with coming up with new ideas but if you want the ideas to get any further than just a thought or fantasy, you have to be able to take criticism and actually address the problems that come along with the idea. Another thing to think about is considering "should we" do something before "can we" do something. Just because something is possible to do, doesn't mean it is a good idea. This idea has been brought up countless times over the last couple decades and is by no means a new idea. If it was as good a solution as you seem to think it is, it would have been done already.

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

You need some more about math because half of 1 amp will be too much for something that needs .05a.

I am not the least bit on board with this guys socket idea but he is correct in saying that power supply amperage value is the maximum number of amps that can be drawn from it within the thermal constraints of the design.  At the end of the day Ohms law doesn't lie, I = V / R. The voltage out of your power supply will be constant so the only thing that can change the current draw is the resistance which is also constant because the resistance is determined by the sum of the series parallel resistance of the entire device.

TLDR; PS amp rating =/= current draw. The only 2 ways to change current draw are to increase voltage and/or decrease resistance. 

(Every thing here assumes theoretical speak. Real world issues would persist but for the basis of this conversation it is not needed.) 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

8 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I'm done at this point. Someone who takes criticism and turned it into saying you can't have ideas is someone I don't want to have a conversation with.

So when are you going to stop ignoring my attempts to explain ohm's law and take criticism yourself?

(or have I been ignored too haha)

BTW, I take no stance on socketed GPUs, I think GPUs are fine I guess? I'm not into GPUs enough to bother.

26 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Good thing no PC components (or really, any components outside of toy circuits or niche uses) run constant current! Current is drawn, voltage is forced 🙂

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

9 minutes ago, trag1c said:

At the end of the day Ohms law doesn't lie, I = V / R.

Oh, Ohm's Law lies all the time. Inductors, caps, and semiconductors do exist, after all.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

4 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Oh, Ohm's Law lies all the time. Inductors, caps, and semiconductors do exist, after all.

True but for the purpose of the conversation at that point it doesn't lol. Thats why I put the disclaimer at the bottom. 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Good thing no PC components (or really, any components outside of toy circuits or niche uses) run constant current! Current is drawn, voltage is forced 🙂

I have to agree that CV is typically way more useful and prevalent. Off the top of my head the best use for CC is LED's because they gotta be weird and change their resistance with voltage. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

20 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

So when are you going to stop ignoring my attempts to explain ohm's law and take criticism yourself?

(or have I been ignored too haha)

BTW, I take no stance on socketed GPUs, I think GPUs are fine I guess? I'm not into GPUs enough to bother.

no, in fact I didn't pay much attention to your quote lol. i just thought it was one of op's

I didnt know that there was 2 ways to do it, like @Elisis pointed out,

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

i just thought it was one of op's

I realise I have the same generic profile picture haha

17 minutes ago, Elisis said:

But if you take all those components' weird properties into account and pile them up into a new number called the impedance (aka Z) you can replace R in ohm's law for Z and everything works just fine. The equation becomes I = V / Z.

14 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

you can replace R in ohm's law for Z and everything works just fine

Then it's not pure Ohm's Law. It's generalized to work with reactive components. That also does nothing to explain semiconductors.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

the PCI-E slot already is a socket in their own right. BUT something close to the average CPU socket is a MXM GPU, They look like this, and are usually made for laptops and mini PCs that do not have space for a full-sized GPU in a PCI slot. But this is usually made for laptops and mini PCs, and you probably won't see that MXM slot on a regular desktop motherboard  SO, a PCI slot already is a socket in their own right

71M6Ou0493L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

I edit my posts quite often, please refresh your browser if you can.

Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM : 16GB 3200MHZ CL16 RAM

GPU : ASRock Challenger RX 6600
Display : Acer KA242Y
Mainboard : GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI
Storage : 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
                240GB ADATA SU650NS38

If GPUs became socketed then (among many things) mobo compatibility would be that much more complex.

Motherboards would need to account for Intel and AMD specific CPU sockets along with Nvidia and AMD GPU sockets as well.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3