Socketed GPU?

olliecoding321

What would it be like if a gpu was like a cpu and it was put in a socket on the motherboard and was interchangeable with other gpus, so it was like having 2 cpus but one is for main processes and one was for graphics processes, and if the gpu also required its own memory separate to the main system memory. 

324071014_SocketedGPU.png.ea20679188b6adc7f77985584a5b4d4a.png

There is a gpu socket onThe motherboard. Andit's interchangable with other gpus. AND it requires its own separate memory.

It looks like this

86D7579F-D065-4D71-9995-F73274A96F83.jpeg.b92bc0f1451b0c7c93543686c273052b.jpeg

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, olliecoding321 said:

Not an external PCIe card i mean like what the photo shows

It's exactly that but virtical, not on its side.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Technically already a thing on laptops, except you can't switch it out.

There's more to a GPU, than just the GPU die and VRAM.

A whole section of the motherboard would need to be interchangeable if you ever wanted to upgrade it... Hence the use of expansion cards that contain everything.

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It's exactly that but vertical

Indeed. I still remember slotted CPU being a thing. It's the same thing, really.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, olliecoding321 said:

what other than the die and the vram

Power delivery is a big one

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

We're lucky we still have socketed CPUs ... tbh I'd argue Intel no longer offer socketed solutions worth while with them changing socket type practically every generation.

Just now, Amias said:

We're lucky we still have socketed CPUs ... tbh I'd argue Intel no longer offer socketed solutions worth while with them changing socket type practically every generation.

If Intel did that, the entire community would immediately just yell "NO".

elephants

add in a gpu power connector like the cpu one and have up to 3 8 pin headers for high power gpus like motherboards have for cpus: they have one or two that the cpu needs and usually an extra one

3 minutes ago, olliecoding321 said:

what other than the die and the vram

Resistors, capacitors, diodes the whole power delivery system...

Each new GPUs don't all use the same amount of power. If you design a chip to only handle up to 5mA, but the built-in stuff on the motherboards lets 1A go through, it will fry it.

It's not a matter of it having its own dedicated power connector.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

add in a gpu power connector like the cpu one and have up to 3 8 pin headers for high power gpus like motherboards have for cpus: they have one or two that the cpu needs and usually an extra one

Not input, I'm talking the actual power delivery system. Have you seen how big some of these beefy cards are? They aren't big just for looks, it's all the power delivery systems.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It'd be a compatibility and optimisation nightmare. People already struggle to make sure they have the right RAM, CPU socket and chipset for their system, adding in all of that all over again makes it exponentially worse. 

As soon as a GPU changes socket, you'll need a new board, and then you'll probably need a new CPU at the same time if you haven't upgraded it in a while. Also good luck trying to get Nvidia and AMD to share a GPU socket standard and work together on it. Then it falls on mother board manufacturers to make a stupid number of motherboard variations to accommodate all the combinations of GPU and CPU sockets.

Then you've got the fact that different GPUs have different power requirements, which leads to even more variants on boards,

You can keep coming up with reasons it's a bad idea. It kind of works in laptops, but those are closed systems and don't have to support a wide range of processors and combinations.

EDIT: At this point, what we call a GPU is really referring to the graphics card, which is basically its own little system in its own right. So trying to move it all onto the motherboard is basically like trying to combine two separate, independent computers.

1 minute ago, Amias said:

Intel sockets last for at least 2 generations, not exactly "practically every generation" like you said. Also a big thing to consider is people that start with a lower CPU like an i3, then later upgrade to a better chip like an i5 or i7. That alone refutes your claim that "Intel no longer offer socketed solutions worth while". 

You mean so you can use higher end gpu chips?

Well it's probably possible, the problem is there's no standard, each gpu companies has it's own secret sauce, which they won't share with others.

Just like how Intel chips wont work in AMD motherboard.

A GPU is a system on it's own, it has it's own schematics that you need to draw on the motherboard.

Different generation of gpu will need different motherboard design, meaning only 1 cpu gen and 1 gpu gen can exist on a single design of motherboard.

It would make things over complicated than just using 1 pcb for 1 gpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

electrical and electronic components draw as much power as they need the motherboard does not push power in. This is why gpu power is not constant because, depending on the load it is under it draws more or less current or amps but the voltage stays the same that is how cpus and gpus and everything else works. If it did you would likely see a setting in the bios for both amps and volts. 

electrical and electronic components draw as much power as they need the motherboard does not push power in. This is why gpu power is not constant because, depending on the load it is under it draws more or less current or amps but the voltage stays the same that is how cpus and gpus and everything else works. If it did you would likely see a setting in the bios for both amps and volts. 

You need a system to condition the power for the GPU and even tiny fluctuations can cause issues, you should really look that up because it's a complex nightmare.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, olliecoding321 said:

Why do you think motherboards have VRMs anyway? They don't just direct the 24 and 8 pin power directly to the CPU.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

ok then a socketed gpu on a PCIe card that would work

How? If you buy a dirt cheap board and slap a 3090 chip in there what do you think is going to happen?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yeah, but giving a 1a to 5ma will kill it. 

How can you get to bios without a gpu? Bc you would need it to get to the settings to use it.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Any processor with integrated graphics already is a "socketed" Gpu. 

ok then a socketed gpu on a PCIe card that would work

Called BGA. It already exists.....

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Why do you think motherboards have VRMs anyway? They don't just direct the 24 and 8 pin power directly to the CPU.

I know how electrical and electronic power systems work. If I didn't I would just shut up

I think we need to take a step back in this thread.

OP, why do you think the GPU should be socketed onto the motherboard? How does our current system, with using a motherboard plus a graphics card in a PCIe slot fail to meet the requirements you have for it? 

What improvement would we see with a socketed GPU?

How do you foresee compatability between Nvidia/Radeon GPU's and how do you expect the memory should be added?

Keep in mind, many people will upgrade their graphics cards years after purchasing their PC, don't you think a motherboard would get out of date really quickly, considering the memory types in graphics cards improve after all those years?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah, but giving a 1a to 5ma will kill it. 

How can you get to bios without a gpu? Bc you would need it to get to the settings to use it.

The gpu can pull a max of 1a but only pulls 5ma power is not forced in by the motherboard, the gpu pulls as much power it needs up to 1a