More watts = more heats?

bungusboy81
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
2 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

In the computer I want to buy there is an option for 360w PSU and 500w PSU, and I wanted to get the 500w one so that I could upgrade the hardware in the future, but I don't want to make my computer run too hot. Does a stronger PSU produce more heat?

A PSU will only use as much power as your components need, a 500W PSU is not pulling 500W from the wall at all times.

With that in mind, there is not a direct correlation between the wattage of your PSU and the heat it outputs.

There are of course PSU's that run hotter or colder, but that has nothing to do with the wattage. More with the quality of the components inside and the fan.

In the computer I want to buy there is an option for 360w PSU and 500w PSU, and I wanted to get the 500w one so that I could upgrade the hardware in the future, but I don't want to make my computer run too hot. Does a stronger PSU produce more heat?

No they don't.

I have a 1,600W PSU and it's running at 23C right now.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Just now, bungusboy81 said:

Does a stronger PSU produce more heat?

No, not necessarily. It'll only be hotter if it's actually using more power. If the system only uses 200w then that's going to be the same whether you have a 360w, 500w, or 1000w PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

A PSU will only use as much power as your components need, a 500W PSU is not pulling 500W from the wall at all times.

With that in mind, there is not a direct correlation between the wattage of your PSU and the heat it outputs.

There are of course PSU's that run hotter or colder, but that has nothing to do with the wattage. More with the quality of the components inside and the fan.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Alright, thank you.