Maryland Approves Country’s First Tax on Big Tech’s Ad Revenue

JamesTheFolf
Message added by SansVarnic,

This topic is about taxes. Please keep all comments on that subject.

If this discussion crosses into politics, it may be locked.

Summary

Maryland is the first state in the United States of America, to enact a law that will tax revenue from ads. This tax will only apply to ads that are displayed inside the state. Companies that make more than between a $100 million and $1 billion a year in global revenue will only be taxed 2.5%. However companies that make more than $1 billion a year globally will be taxed at 10%. Both Google and Facebook make more than $15 billion a year globally, so they would both be taxed a a higher rate. The state of Maryland expects this tax to generate ~$250 million a year in revenue for the state. All the money raised by this tax will go to help fund schools in Maryland.

merlin_183421323_b80db2e6-4941-4bc4-8154-e9b2c420d288-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

Bill Ferguson, president of the Maryland Senate, is the primary champion of a law that will tax tech giants. Photo by Andrew Magnum for The New York Times

Quotes

"The approval signals the arrival in the United States of a policy pioneered by European countries, and it is likely to set off a fierce legal fight over how far communities can go to tax the tech companies.

Other states are pursuing similar efforts. Lawmakers in Connecticut and Indiana, for example, have already introduced bills to tax the social media giants. Several other states, like West Virginia and New York, fell short of passing new taxes on the tech giants last year, but their proponents may renew their push after Maryland’s success.

The moves are part of an escalating debate about the economic power of the tech giants as the companies have grown, become gatekeepers for communication and culture and started to collect reams of data from their users. In the United States, law enforcement agencies brought multiple antitrust cases against Google and Facebook last year. Members of Congress have proposed laws to check their market power, encourage them to moderate speech more carefully and protect their users’ privacy."

My thoughts

I feel like this is going to be a big move in the tech industry. I expect there to be a lot of push back against this law from big tech companies like Google and Facebook. However I feel that this law is justified because tech companies pay very little taxes to state governments. I also this law won't go into affect anytime soon, mostly because of the extreme amount of push back, but I believe it could help fund program that are really needed in the United States.

Sources

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/technology/maryland-digital-ads-tax.html?smid=url-share

The cycle continues. If it goes through, guess who will be indirectly affected, yup... Content creators. Big tech will just find a way to circumvent the law either by how much users get paid on their platform, services, etc... With the amount of power and politicians they lobby, doubt it'll go through.

Without looking at the wording of the law, I do wonder if there is a workaround for the giants. Create a separate company within the state to handle the advertising in that state. That company's revenue wold obviously be far smaller than the global revenue and drop to or maybe below the lower threshold. Obviously it would still have to report into and work with the parent company to do its work, but it would be more segregated.

If they end up having to pay the higher rate tax, I'm sure it'll be passed onto whoever pays for the ads. If you were advertising, and one area was more expensive than others, then unless you really want to target that area specifically you might exclude it. So just because there's a higher tax rate, doesn't mean there'll be a high revenue to follow.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

This actually sounds like a huge misrepresentation on the part of the state or NYT. Because they are taxing the revenue, wouldn’t that just make it a sales tax that’s going to end up directly on the ad buyer’s tab? I don’t think they have the authority to tax a company that’s not physically present there so they are instating a sales tax on ads.

I’m not against taxing big tech on their profits. But if this is a sales taxes, it should be called that.

20 minutes ago, c00face said:

The cycle continues. If it goes through, guess who will be indirectly affected, yup... Content creators. Big tech will just find a way to circumvent the law either by how much users get paid on their platform, services, etc... With the amount of power and politicians they lobby, doubt it'll go through.

Yeah I understand that, they have so much money they can lobby for whatever they want, and most of the times they will get their way.

16 minutes ago, porina said:

Without looking at the wording of the law, I do wonder if there is a workaround for the giants. Create a separate company within the state to handle the advertising in that state. That company's revenue wold obviously be far smaller than the global revenue and drop to or maybe below the lower threshold. Obviously it would still have to report into and work with the parent company to do its work, but it would be more segregated.

If they end up having to pay the higher rate tax, I'm sure it'll be passed onto whoever pays for the ads. If you were advertising, and one area was more expensive than others, then unless you really want to target that area specifically you might exclude it. So just because there's a higher tax rate, doesn't mean there'll be a high revenue to follow.

Here is a link I found the the law: SENATE BILL 787

16 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

This actually sounds like a huge misrepresentation on the part of the state or NYT. Because they are taxing the revenue, wouldn’t that just make it a sales tax that’s going to end up directly on the ad buyer’s tab? I don’t think they have the authority to tax a company that’s not physically present there so they are instating a sales tax on ads.

I’m not against taxing big tech on their profits. But if this is a sales taxes, it should be called that.

I think it's more of a way to collect income taxes on the revenue companies make in their state.

11 minutes ago, jrhaberland said:

Thanks but I'm not lawyer enough to look at it. I'll let highly paid corporate lawyers worry about that detail, since it is they who will have to work out what they can do about it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

40 minutes ago, jrhaberland said:

Maryland is the first state in the United States of America, to enact a law that will tax revenue from ads.

Do you mean at a higher rate? Because income is taxed regardless source

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

Do you mean at a higher rate? Because income is taxed regardless source

Well tax laws are really complicated, but from what I can read companies don't pay taxes in most states other than sales tax. So this would allow Maryland to collect taxes on the revenue made from ads in their state.

7 hours ago, porina said:

Thinking the same.  Separate company handles all the ad revenue and then writes off 100% of the income as an expense to the parent.  Or just raise pricing by 10% and pocket the extra money doing the shell company idea anyways.

The bill is 1 page I'm sure there's a dozen ways around it.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

did someone order a Double Irish With a Dutch Sandwich or similar?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, jrhaberland said:

Yay mood swings. I clicked and looked at it. It doesn't seem complete, or at least, that only focuses on the definitions of who is or isn't in scope. It doesn't set the thresholds or rates for example.

It is interesting for a few reasons.

1, the tax is based on revenue, not profit. Normally taxes are applied to profit. If you don't make a profit you get some slack. Tax on revenue is a tax on existing.

2, there is a paragraph saying words to the effect you can't pass on the cost of the tax!

A PERSON WHO DERIVES GROSS REVENUES FROM DIGITAL ADVERTISING SERVICES IN THE STATE MAY NOT DIRECTLY PASS ON THE COST OF THE TAX IMPOSED UNDER THIS SECTION TO A CUSTOMER WHO PURCHASES THE DIGITAL ADVERTISING SERVICES BY MEANS OF A SEPARATE FEE, SURCHARGE, OR LINE–ITEM.

Their caps, not mine. To my reading of it, it still doesn't block the ad service from simply charging a higher base fee for the region, just that it can't be separated out. It also does not prevent differential pricing across regions.

3, there is a specific exemption to the tax for traditional TV/radio and news outlets.

-= Topic moved to Off Topic =-

Topic is not Tech related. Taxes are political based subjects.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:35 PM, jrhaberland said:

... tax will go to help fund schools in Maryland.

This statement is a joke.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER