Is This a Good Trade? - TUF 3080 + $250 Cash for RX 6900 XT Red Devil

Orangeator
4 minutes ago, papajo said:

Sou you are saying that gamer graphics cards bought by gamers to play games are a minority or just an other variable instead of the vast majority? you surely live in an other planet then it is you who has a narrow viewpoint (what makes a viewpoint narrow is not the variety in variables but the focus in something that doesnt define the subject) 

Reasons for people buying graphics cards are not limited to gaming. Even if they are smaller use cases, it doesn't negate the validity of them. You don't have to do it, you don't have to like it. They are there. They will not go away due to wishful thinking.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

20 minutes ago, porina said:

Reasons for people buying graphics cards are not limited to gaming

They are defined by it even with mining blowing up most miners are individual rich people that stack up 100 to 1000 GPUs the "casual" miners are a small minority 

having said that https://www.barrons.com/articles/how-cryptocurrency-miners-boosted-nvidias-earnings-51605822391 nvidia sold about 150 million towards mininers out of a 2.7 billion revenue from gaming cards though so in other words the gaming clientele is at least 17 times  bigger (I say at least because the revenue is 17 times bigger, unit count is a product of unit cost divided by revenue and since gamers mostly get cheap or sweetspot cards while miners the expensive high end ones means that gamers graphics cards as a unit count (and thus as population of users) is more than 17 times bigger) 

And that's including the fat cats of mining who dont make ltt posts about if they should trade their GPU, they spend hundreds of thousands to buy directly from AIBs 

Last but not least lets not forget the elephant in the room we are talking about graphics cards for Pet's sake

If a guy asked you which university to attend to A vs B would you think of me as narrow-minded if I didnt take into account the fact that university A has a starbucks next to the campus? surely there are people who like to go to a university and also study at a starbucks... that doesnt mean we shjould rant about it though like we do now. 

20 hours ago, papajo said:

They are defined by it even with mining blowing up most miners are individual rich people that stack up 100 to 1000 GPUs the "casual" miners are a small minority 

having said that https://www.barrons.com/articles/how-cryptocurrency-miners-boosted-nvidias-earnings-51605822391 nvidia sold about 150 million towards mininers out of a 2.7 billion revenue from gaming cards though so in other words the gaming clientele is at least 17 times  bigger (I say at least because the revenue is 17 times bigger, unit count is a product of unit cost divided by revenue and since gamers mostly get cheap or sweetspot cards while miners the expensive high end ones means that gamers graphics cards as a unit count (and thus as population of users) is more than 17 times bigger) 

And that's including the fat cats of mining who dont make ltt posts about if they should trade their GPU, they spend hundreds of thousands to buy directly from AIBs 

Last but not least lets not forget the elephant in the room we are talking about graphics cards for Pet's sake

If a guy asked you which university to attend to A vs B would you think of me as narrow-minded if I didnt take into account the fact that university A has a starbucks next to the campus? surely there are people who like to go to a university and also study at a starbucks... that doesnt mean we shjould rant about it though like we do now. 

Can I just say that we don't know what the OP is prioritizing, and judging from his reply to my first post, it seems like he values the street value of the GPU, in which he stated that a 3080 is higher priced than a 6900xt, thus making the original proposed trade a bad deal, because not only is he trading for a lower value product, he have to add $250 to it.

And even if we compare MSRP and strictly gaming, the gap between the two performances have to justify the $250, of which the op will have to judge whether if it's worth it  to him, as I eluded to in my original post in this thread

If OP wish to have better gaming performance (in certain aspects), he can sell his 3080 and buy a 6900xt for $200 less, judging by his post, thus it's overall a much better deal

Lastly, a product name does not intend it's capability to do things, I shall quote someone that can put it in better words than I ever can

On 2/9/2021 at 2:17 AM, MageTank said:

manufacturer marketing does not dictate how the end-product is to be used. Listerine was originally marketed as a floor cleaner before some genius had the bright idea to swish the forbidden Gatorade. Slinky's were used as a means to stabilize naval equipment on rough waters until someone got bored and was mesmerized by the hypnotic bouncing of it. The point is, these companies may have originally designed their product for one purpose, but that doesn't mean they dictated how the consumer would perceive and inevitably use the product. 

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately