My 5800x idle temps

So, just recently built my PC. The idle temps for the 5800x is at around 50 degrees celcius (Note: PC's power is at ultimate performance which makes it that the idle clock is around 4.8 ghz). It is cooled using an corsair h100i platinum.

Is it normal for that kind of temps on ultimate performance?

Thanks in advance!

(I posted my thermal paste application in my previous post for you to check it out, but others have said that it should've been fine.)

2 minutes ago, PointFive said:

Is it normal for that kind of temps on ultimate performance?

Depends, what cooler are you using?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Depends, what cooler are you using?

yea forgot to put it in, i've edited the post.

5 minutes ago, PointFive said:

yea forgot to put it in, i've edited the post.

Are the radiator fans spinning much? It's a 240mm radiator with fluid, so even under idle a 4.8ghz (assuming it's all core, but I think it should only be 2 or 4 core) will still generate heat, and if left for a while will slowly warm up the fluid in the radiator. 

I'd only worry about it if you put it under some sort of load and it's over 90ºC, in that case I'd say it's either the fans aernt spinning fast enough, there's an airflow impedance (restrictive panels) or the mounting of the cooler was inadequate or incorrect. 

What's your full system build? Do you have a photo of the final build?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

19 minutes ago, PointFive said:

PC's power is at ultimate performance which makes it that the idle clock is around 4.8 ghz

May I ask why?.. The CPU will boost accordingly to what you're doing and also clock down to save power when there's nothing going on.

All you're gaining by enabling "ultimate power" is unnecessary heat and power draw.

But to answer your question, 50C is not out of the ordinary when idling, though idle temps aren't really all that relevant. What temps are you getting at full load?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

May I ask why?.. The CPU will boost accordingly to what you're doing and also clock down to save power when there's nothing going on.

All you're gaining by enabling "ultimate power" is unnecessary heat and power draw.

But to answer your question, 50C is not out of the ordinary when idling, though idle temps aren't really all that relevant. What temps are you getting at full load?

If i'm not mistaken i've heard from somewhere that because games usually aren't that demanding they they won't really boost up. But hey i don't really know, so i might try to put it back down if it actually is as useless as you say it is.

13 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

The 5800X runs hot.

What are your full load temps?

80 ish completing r20, im downloading prime95 to try and stress test for a longer period of time, so that the water temp can stabilize

15 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Are the radiator fans spinning much? It's a 240mm radiator with fluid, so even under idle a 4.8ghz (assuming it's all core, but I think it should only be 2 or 4 core) will still generate heat, and if left for a while will slowly warm up the fluid in the radiator. 

I'd only worry about it if you put it under some sort of load and it's over 90ºC, in that case I'd say it's either the fans aernt spinning fast enough, there's an airflow impedance (restrictive panels) or the mounting of the cooler was inadequate or incorrect. 

What's your full system build? Do you have a photo of the final build?

Its set at balance, which is at around 1,7k rpm

445050.thumb.jpg.7ca957122de682114afa05640c8fb222.jpg

3 minutes ago, PointFive said:

Its set at balance, which is at around 1,7k rpm

-snip-

Orientation of al fans looks correct, and 1700rpm should be the fans max speed under that profile, not their current. You'd hear it quite audibly if you had fans spinning at 1700rpm at idle. 

If you put it under a stress test, what do CPU temps climb to after about 5 minutes?

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

If you put it under a stress test, what do CPU temps climb to after about 5 minutes?

just ran prime 95, its around 65. which is odd?

Just now, PointFive said:

just ran prime 95, its around 65. which is odd?

Let it keep running. Temps will climb for about ten minutes before they level off

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Let it keep running. Temps will climb for about ten minutes before they level off

So i ran it for a more extended period of time (prime 95).

0-15 minutes-ish: temps are stable at 60 degrees celcius

then it just keeps on rising to around 90 (i stopped it when it reached 90) within only 2 minuts, from 60 to 90.

3 minutes ago, PointFive said:

So i ran it for a more extended period of time (prime 95).

0-15 minutes-ish: temps are stable at 60 degrees celcius

then it just keeps on rising to around 90 (i stopped it when it reached 90) within only 2 minuts, from 60 to 90.

My only suggestion would be to turn off ultimate performance and go for a "balanced" performance setting for now. You can also look at the fan curve in the BIOS (or Corsair's software, whichever is controlling fan speed) to make sure the fans are ramping up accordingly. Besides that, there's not much you can do to reduce temps with the hardware you have

I found dropping the CPU voltage decreased temps drastically. Have 2 friends (both twins, both have 5800x, one with a X570-E, another with X570-F) Identical systems, apart from that, I got one to decrease their CPU voltages and idle temps dropped 5-10degrees. Seemed to be even more under load. This was all done over Discord and they have little to no overclocking / benchmarking experience. If you look on reddit there's a few reccomendations to go off, my 5800x isn't here yet, but just seems to be the way they run tbh.