Second-hand Thinkpad , help!

Gandhalfman_
Go to solution Solved by rashdanml,

For that particular usage scenario, it's more than enough. The older Thinkpads are still excellent machines (even if they're a bit dated by today's standards). Linux is perfect for it. 

If you're able to spend a bit more, the X201 and X220 may be better options; iirc, the X220 comes with Sandy Bridge, and it's the last Thinkpad to feature the 7-row keyboard that diehard Thinkpad enthusiasts are extremely fond of.

I found a nice deal on a Lenovo x61 Thinkpad for around 130ish$

Specs:
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM : 2GM
HDD : 80GB

I am planning on going back to uni and I need a laptop for word processing mainly and able to read Powerpoints / PDF

My questions
Is it worth it? Can I upgrade it in terms of RAM and HDD (would go with a SSD)

This is a good price you could install 4 or 8gb ram and a nice ssd and this thing will fly.

core 2's are pretty old, and laptops are not that powerfull to begin with, i dont think it would work that great

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

upgrading it is not worth it at all  because if you needed to you need to upgrade everything = a new pc

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

For that particular usage scenario, it's more than enough. The older Thinkpads are still excellent machines (even if they're a bit dated by today's standards). Linux is perfect for it. 

If you're able to spend a bit more, the X201 and X220 may be better options; iirc, the X220 comes with Sandy Bridge, and it's the last Thinkpad to feature the 7-row keyboard that diehard Thinkpad enthusiasts are extremely fond of.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

A cheap SSD and a couple more gigs of RAM and it should be great for what you need it for.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Price is just good even with this specs windows 7 will run good core 2 duo's are still fast and not much slower than an i3 for some office/pdf work this is fine especially if the battery is good

I used to have a Thinkpad T400, but it got stolen (no need for full details lol).

The X220 is kinda rare to find where I come from but I will do alittle digging here and there.

My university do offer thinkpads but the T400 low specs and very overpriced.

What about the good ole IBM T60? Found one for 300$ish

What about the good ole IBM T60? Found one for 300$ish

The specs are comparable to the X61. The usual difference between the two is screen size, the X series usually being about 12.5" with the T series being 14.1/15.6". 

Just noticed your location. Fair enough. Ebay might be a possibility, but you might get slaughtered by shipping fees (package delivery is kind of a pain in UAE xD) and import duties. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

But MS office isn't on Linux.

The specs are comparable to the X61. The usual difference between the two is screen size, the X series usually being about 12.5" with the T series being 14.1/15.6". 

Just noticed your location. Fair enough. Ebay might be a possibility, but you might get slaughtered by shipping fees (package delivery is kind of a pain in UAE xD) and import duties. 

Yea thats the problem ;( 

Shipping wont be much of a big deal thou , got a nice discount on a shipping company here.

Im just worried if I buy anything used from Ebay and recieve it after a long wait time , it might turn out to be completly faulty or somthing.

Libre and OpenOffice works just fine.

Google Docs, LibreOffice, Calligra Suite. 

All excellent for Word Processing.