Can you make a 4.4 cable without soldering

GOJIRA229

I want to know because I want to make my own cables but don’t want to learn how to solder could I just use electrical tape or duct tape

What do you mean by a "4.4 cable" ...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What do you mean by a "4.4 cable" ...?

4.4mm or balanced 

1 minute ago, GOJIRA229 said:

4.4mm or balanced 

There are 3.5mm jacks and 1/4" jacks, TS or TRS, there is no 4.4mm.

What exactly are you trying to plug into what?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

There are 3.5mm jacks and 1/4" jacks, TS or TRS, there is no 4.4mm.

What exactly are you trying to plug into what?

Here is a 4.4mm connector 

6B5AB725-4228-4E21-8DC7-32E4B5F2247C.png

your best bet would be buying 'terminal block' style connectors... but that's really not a viable solution, even if you can find the connector you need...

DELOCK65370.jpg

i'd say either learn to solder, or buy off the shelf cables. there's no sensible middle ground.

5 minutes ago, GOJIRA229 said:

Here is a 4.4mm connector 

Huh I guess you're right, that's a weird plug.

Never seen one before.

If you buy a cable that is premade with that on the end you could cut it and splice it yourself without soldering, however it would look very ugly and not give a solid connection.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

your best bet would be buying 'terminal block' style connectors... but that's really not a viable solution, even if you can find the connector you need...

DELOCK65370.jpg

i'd say either learn to solder, or buy off the shelf cables. there's no sensible middle ground.

I am specifically talking about audio cables 

Just now, GOJIRA229 said:

I am specifically talking about audio cables 

the usb connector is just the first picture of a 'terminal block' style connector i could find, it's the green bit in the picture i'm on about, not the usb connector.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Huh I guess you're right, that's a weird plug.

Never seen one before.

If you buy a cable that is premade with that on the end you could cut it and splice it yourself without soldering, however it would look very ugly and not give a solid connection.

It is only an upgraded 2.5 connector and the cover should still fit on if I use thin tape right?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

the usb connector is just the first picture of a 'terminal block' style connector i could find, it's the green bit in the picture i'm on about, not the usb connector.

Oh ok

1 minute ago, GOJIRA229 said:

It is only an upgraded 2.5 connector and the cover should still fit on if I use thin tape right?

No, there is no way to wrap the wires around the extremely small rings without them moving and shorting unless you solder them.

Spoiler

Just now, GOJIRA229 said:

you're *not* going to be able to tape a cable onto one of those connectors. i know what you're planning on doing, it doesnt work.

34 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you're *not* going to be able to tape a cable onto one of those connectors. i know what you're planning on doing, it doesnt work.

So their is no way I could do It like a banana plug

56 minutes ago, manikyath said:

So I can’t use electrical tape or a form of apoxy 

5 hours ago, GOJIRA229 said:

So their is no way I could do It like a banana plug

5 hours ago, GOJIRA229 said:

So I can’t use electrical tape or a form of apoxy 

my quote stands.

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

i know what you're planning on doing, it doesnt work.

When it comes to connectors soldiering is basically essential. But making cables is probably the easiest soldering job a person can do . Sleeving and braiding the cables is probably the hardest/most tedios step.of the process and soldering connectors I find from experience to be the most fun/easiest part of the process. It's probably harder to approach this project figuring out how to do it not soldering than to learn how to solder yourself. Soldering cables is relatively easy and barely requires practice.

soldering isnt hard, especially connecting wires....just practice with some old stuff to get a hang of it

To tag onto what's been said above, a cheap soldering station can be had for $40 or less. It may not last too long, but it'll last long enough for you to reterminate the connection.

However, looking at what you've posted.. Are you trying to adapt 2.5mm to 4.4mm? Because adapters for that exist.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

To tag onto what's been said above, a cheap soldering station can be had for $40 or less. It may not last too long, but it'll last long enough for you to reterminate the connection.

However, looking at what you've posted.. Are you trying to adapt 2.5mm to 4.4mm? Because adapters for that exist.

I got an entire soldering kit for around $20 and it's still going now 4 years later. 

16 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

No just looking to make my own cables since a bad experience with whoever made this.        But is soldering similar to welding because I’ve known how to do that since I was eight

image.jpg

On 2/10/2021 at 12:33 AM, GOJIRA229 said:

No just looking to make my own cables since a bad experience with whoever made this.        But is soldering similar to welding because I’ve known how to do that since I was eight

-snip-

Soldering is only similar to welding in the sense that you use a metal thing to joint two other metal things together. Best I can say is to look up a soldering guide.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

On 2/9/2021 at 7:33 PM, GOJIRA229 said:

image.jpg

Soldering is several times easier than welding it's similar in concept but in practice kinda different. I sujjest just looking up how to make a cable or how to solder and you can see how easy it is. And is pretty cheap you can get a station for $30 how much my Weller station cost me comes with a sponge as well. I spent another $10 on a tube of solder, $8 on flux and I was pretty much good to go. I did eventually spend a bit more on helping hands and a better tip cleaner