What is Life?

whm1974

OK due to a possible Fantasy/Science Friction Story I'm writing, or doing some research in doing, I have been wondering What is the Definition of Life?

How would We know if something alive or not? As in We encounter some Ententes that that don't quite fit being Life? Case in Point:

1. Generates own Energy in Excess.
  2. Doesn't Reproduce. Mass Manufactured.
  3. Quickly Self Repairing.
  4. Can consume Food, but doesn't have to do so.
  5. Resembles Modern Humans to a huge degree, but not quite...

Perhaps I don't really need to Start a New Topic about this, but I do/have thought about wither or not We Humans will notice anything that Arrived on Earth if it actually Alive or Not.

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Oh, wait, sorry... misread the question. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

12 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

The meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything:

What is the question, is a better question to ask.

The Question is How to know something is Alive or Note? Or "It" just Mimics?

As Far As Purpose or Meaning of Life? Well Short Answer would be there isn't one. Life is just is...

Just now, whm1974 said:

The Question is How to know something is Alive or Note? Or "It" just Mimics?

As Far As Purpose or Meaning of Life? Well Short Answer would be there isn't one. Life is just is...

Well, the question is 6 by 9.

elephants

imo something is alive when it has free will

and it can choose between several thing not necessarily the best one but a sensible one 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

6 minutes ago, mahyar said:

imo something is alive when it has free will

and it can choose between several thing not necessarily the best one but a sensible one 

What does "Free Will" have to do if something is a alive or not? Are you saying that Bactria are not Living?

I just checked Oxford dictionary - it has 14 different definitions..  😄 I think it could be easier defined when put into context. https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/american_english/life

The 1st that comes up is "the ability to breathe, grow, reproduce, etc. that people, animals, and plants have before they die and that objects do not have"

Microbes and bacteria are a "form" of life, that would mean there are several "forms" of life. Flora and fauna, as well - a tree and a tiny insect in it. Not sure how much free will can be attributed to those, but they do breath, reproduce and die.

Can you put you idea into a bit more context?

Just now, whm1974 said:

What does "Free Will" have to do if something is a alive or not? Are you saying that Bactria are not Living?

no they do have free will

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

no they do have free will

Bactria don't have "Free Will" at all. They don't even have Brains...

Step 1. Birth.

Step 2. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

Step 3. Death.

What you do during step 2 defines you and your life.

Not sure what constitutes as life vs. "just living" is probably our human concepts of society. The whole "birth, get good at something, die"-cycle.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, whm1974 said:

Bactria don't have "Free Will" at all. They don't even have Brains...

define "brain"

Just now, mahyar said:

define "brain"

Single Cell lifeforms are way too small to have brains anyway...

Just now, whm1974 said:

Single Cell lifeforms are way too small to have brains anyway...

so they are not alive in my definition of word "alive"

"behold - a man" - Diogenes. 

At their root simple definitions have a problem that they can become broad enough to be erroneous. (If you aren't familiar with the above quote and the story behind it, do Google it)

Generally speaking 'grow, metabolise, respond to external stimuli, adapt and reproduce' is taken as a starting point and you kinda work from there. 

2 hours ago, mahyar said:

Since when???

2 hours ago, LordVetinari said:

"behold - a man" - Diogenes. 

At their root simple definitions have a problem that they can become broad enough to be erroneous. (If you aren't familiar with the above quote and the story behind it, do Google it)

Generally speaking 'grow, metabolise, respond to external stimuli, adapt and reproduce' is taken as a starting point and you kinda work from there.

Well that is what I remember from High School and Jr College Biology Courses. 

10 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Since when???

Well that is what I remember from High School and Jr College Biology Courses. 

As you are creating a fictional entity that would escape detection as life to drive a narrative you could just try removing two or three of the descriptors to see what you end up with, i.e an entity that doesn't grow or reproduce. Perhaps due to an unrecognised form of metabolism... 

Idk, play with it and have fun. 

Just now, LordVetinari said:

As you are creating a fictional entity that would escape detection as life to drive a narrative you could just try removing two or three of the descriptors to see what you end up with, i.e an entity that doesn't grow or reproduce. Perhaps due to an unrecognised form of metabolism... 

Idk, play with it and have fun. 

Well I'm developing a background for a Story(s) I'm intending to write. More to improve my Writing Skills, but I always want to write a Novel or Book... But I always discovered I get sidetracked...

4 hours ago, Middcore said:

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Oh, wait, sorry... misread the question. 

That is good, that is good.

3 hours ago, mahyar said:

Why does life need a brain?

What about plants? Simple organisms that don't have neurons? Amoeba, single celled organisms, bacteria, viruses, etc?

These are all life.

Why do you define life as needing free will?

Hell, technically speaking, quantum physics tells us that free will is literally an illusion that our brains conjured up to explain stuff.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Why does life need a brain?

What about plants? Simple organisms that don't have neurons? Amoeba, single celled organisms, bacteria, viruses, etc?

These are all life.

Why do you define life as needing free will?

Hell, technically speaking, quantum physics tells us that free will is literally an illusion that our brains conjured up to explain stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, Quantum Physics actually permits whatever Degree of Randomness that exist. But Humans are Subject the Same Laws of Science all Form of Life are.

6 hours ago, whm1974 said:

OK due to a possible Fantasy/Science Friction Story I'm writing, or doing some research in doing, I have been wondering What is the Definition of Life?

How would We know if something alive or not? As in We encounter some Ententes that that don't quite fit being Life? Case in Point:

1. Generates own Energy in Excess.
  2. Doesn't Reproduce. Mass Manufactured.
  3. Quickly Self Repairing.
  4. Can consume Food, but doesn't have to do so.
  5. Resembles Modern Humans to a huge degree, but not quite...

Perhaps I don't really need to Start a New Topic about this, but I do/have thought about wither or not We Humans will notice anything that Arrived on Earth if it actually Alive or Not.

Meaning Of Life is peace just live happily

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

If I'm not mistaken, Quantum Physics actually permits whatever Degree of Randomness that exist. But Humans are Subject the Same Laws of Science all Form of Life are.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

To explain my above post, Quantum Physics says that you make a decision, ultimately, because a particular particle inside your brain activates.

So the problem is that free will cannot really exist, because your decision was precluded by a chemical and physical action, but you never actually told that neuron to do what it did.

Additionally, quantum physics looks random, but many of the randomness we see there are still deterministic via countless forces playing upon it.

I can't fully explain it, since it's been a while, but also because quantum physics is goddamn complex.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

57 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

To explain my above post, Quantum Physics says that you make a decision, ultimately, because a particular particle inside your brain activates.

So the problem is that free will cannot really exist, because your decision was precluded by a chemical and physical action, but you never actually told that neuron to do what it did.

Additionally, quantum physics looks random, but many of the randomness we see there are still deterministic via countless forces playing upon it.

I can't fully explain it, since it's been a while, but also because quantum physics is goddamn complex.

Well Classic Physics is a great deal easier to explain to a layperson and for that person to understand the Quantum Physics is.

Brains do not resemble life in any way.

Life is the true meaning of being active, and burning up energy while time passes, but consciousness is the true key to all the intelligent life of the universe.

It is the well being of ones entity.

Consciousness is the answer to all living life that has a meaning. 

To be aware of your surroundings, and to live life freely is the best thing you can possibly do.

But not all organisms have a conscious self.