Slave/ master jumpers

Josie-boy

I found 2 old disk drives with a ribbon cable. They have a jumper on the back of each with one set to slave and one set to master what is this for?

With IDE, each port can use 2 devices. Setting one to master and one to slave tells each device how to act.

Know that you have to have a master and a slave - you can't have 2 masters or 2 slaves.

How it works:
When the master is transferring data, the slave has to wait for the master to finish. If the master is doing nothing, then the slave can transfer data.

elephants

Confirms chanel as ide shares the same bandwidth per controller and boot order (dos seeing a,b,c,d,e drive etc), 'newer' implementations also had cable select which let the bios which drive was on the end of the cable. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

30 minutes ago, Josie-boy said:

I found 2 old disk drives with a ribbon cable. They have a jumper on the back of each with one set to slave and one set to master what is this for?

Read this
https://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/IDE_master/slave#:~:text=Slave is one of two main settings for a hard disk.&text=If you have a single,the second%2C or secondary drive.

And get a USB key instead of using that garbage.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I am offended.

IDE is not "garbage", and neither are optical or floppy drives.

Neither were
The Ford Pinto
Google +
The ET video game

Also all Sharknado movies are masterpieces...

Seriously... SCSI man T'was worth the 400$ for 40 gigs back then.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

Just now, Quickstrike said:

Seriously... SCSI man T'was worth the 400$ for 40 gigs back then.

SCSI is a bit harder to set up - with IDE, you set your jumpers and boom, it works.

elephants

3 hours ago, Quickstrike said:

And get a USB key instead of using that garbage.

IDE's bandwidth is about 33MB's  sure there are quite a few USB keys that can reach or exceed that speed but only the expensive ones really can support that speed without slowing down later on (assuming there is the option to make use of USB 3.0 or later because if we are talking about USB 2.0 only very expensive ones could could be as fast) 

but HDDs have the random IOPS advantage meaning an OS for example would be snappier installed on a HDD than on a USB drive. 

as for SCSI it was convenient for professional use because its wider bandwidth allowed for more HDDs per controller (instead of 2 for IDE) 

So it was the same thing just more HDDs per cable, you could use it for faster HDDs though as well but back then faster HDDs were ones with 10 or 15k rpm or even more... which is not cool to have unless you gonna use it in a server rack somewhere far away from your ears 

And this recording really doesnt do it justice, I remember using an old PC I restored (with a normal HDD) and being baffled by how loud it seems to me now back in the day I wouldnt even notice and think it was a silent PC and that version of me who would think that also thought that 10k+ RPM spinning noises sounded like some squeeky very loud turbofan 

If you're just trying to figure out what's on the drives and you don't have a PATA/IDE connector on your motherboard or a peripheral card (and you don't have an older computer with those), it might just be easier to use a USB adapter cable and power supply.  Ex. https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK-Converter-Switch-Connector-Support/dp/B07PK8ZQQC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=PATA+USB&qid=1612068069&sr=8-4

53 minutes ago, papajo said:

IDE's bandwidth is about 33MB's

Up to 133MB/s.

And there were ide hdd-s which were very close to what we have now in terms of noise and performance for similar sizes. Like i still have 500GB wd blue (WD5000AAKB) in external usb box, and i still use it...