ARE ALL 4PIN FAN SOCKET THE SAME?

Hello everyone!

So Asus H110m-K has a 4pin socket for case fans. And Im looking for fans with rgb lights. I found many fan sets that only needs molex to power them but Im thinking about going for PWM. 

Not sure about pwm, but it is when you install the fans to the motherboard and control them in the pc instead of a physical controller.

Anyways, my motherboard labels the 4pin as "CHA FAN" or chassis fan.

However, all motherboards that youtubers have says "RGB". 

Are they different? Do my motherboard only support fans and not lighting them?

Side question, I also attached a picture of one of the sockets which has 3 pins, 1 0 1 1 (0 means it has no pin sticking out).

Im sorry if I have 3 questions in one topic post. If this would violate any rule, Id separate each one. Thank you 🙂

20210127_192840.jpg

20210127_194722.jpg

Thats a USB header (edit nope its not SPDIF, and TPM under):

image.png.d06ba26bdaedea7bdfbfdabe7ca42317.png

image.png.bb89d7ddb290e7d32d029236469c9ca2.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

12 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

Hello everyone!

So Asus H110m-K has a 4pin socket for case fans. And Im looking for fans with rgb lights. I found many fan sets that only needs molex to power them but Im thinking about going for PWM. 

Not sure about pwm, but it is when you install the fans to the motherboard and control them in the pc instead of a physical controller.

Side question, I also attached a picture of one of the sockets which has 3 pins, 1 0 1 1 (0 means it has no pin sticking out).

Im sorry if I have 3 questions in one topic post. If this would violate any rule, Id separate each one. Thank you 🙂

20210127_192840.jpg

20210127_194722.jpg

Are these not documented in your manual ?

3 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Thats a USB header:

image.png.d06ba26bdaedea7bdfbfdabe7ca42317.png

image.png.bb89d7ddb290e7d32d029236469c9ca2.png

The picture you posted says spdif out #12

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

The picture you posted says spdif out #12

Already edited, that's correct

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

5 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Are these not documented in your manual ?

The manual has been thrown away. And I remembered it just says as the motherboard says too, chassis fan. Nothing detailed

9 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

The manual has been thrown away. And I remembered it just says as the motherboard says too, chassis fan. Nothing detailed

The manual can of course be downloaded of the internet for future reference.

" chassis fan. Nothing detailed " What more info do you require ? that should be enough.

41 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

Your typical RGB fan will have TWO connectors, one for the fan and one for the RGB.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

54 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

Quick check of that board on the Asus site suggests that board doesn't have any RGB headers. So to answer your questions, 4pin fan headers are usually the same (in your case they are) and yes your board only supports connecting fans to it and not lighting them up, that is if they require a proper RGB connector the for the LEDs. Some RGB fans that have static LEDs don't require a proper RGB cable for them to light up. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

2 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

The manual can of course be downloaded of the internet for future reference.

" chassis fan. Nothing detailed " What more info do you require ? that should be enough.

Mmm yeah the question above is, does "Chassis fan" differ from other socket which says "RGB Fan" but with 4pins too. Because different motherboards I saw on Youtube says "case fans" "chassis fan" "rgb fan"... all with 4 pins. Thus the question. 🙂

1 hour ago, Analog said:

Quick check of that board on the Asus site suggests that board doesn't have any RGB headers. So to answer your questions, 4pin fan headers are usually the same (in your case they are) and yes your board only supports connecting fans to it and not lighting them up, that is if they require a proper RGB connector the for the LEDs. Some RGB fans that have static LEDs don't require a proper RGB cable for them to light up. 

Thank you. I think this answers the question. 🙂 

Just now, Aaron1080p said:

Mmm yeah the question above is, does "Chassis fan" differ from other socket which says "RGB Fan" but with 4pins too. Because different motherboards I saw on Youtube says "case fans" "chassis fan" "rgb fan"... all with 4 pins. Thus the question. 🙂

Chassis fan is only what the words say. Headers meant for a FAN in you case different from the CPU fan nothing more just controlled power by the bios for the FAN no other features, no RGB

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Your typical RGB fan will have TWO connectors, one for the fan and one for the RGB.

Okay okay. So my motherboard really needs to have the right sockets to light rgb fans. Thank you 🙂

1 minute ago, Aaron1080p said:

Okay okay. So my motherboard really needs to have the right sockets to light rgb fans. Thank you 🙂

If you like RGB so much just get fans that light up when power is applied 

Just now, Biomecanoid said:

If you like RGB so much just get fans that light up when power is applied 

Yeah. Not that I like them that much, I don't really have much option to choose from online and thought if Im going to buy ones with the lights, why not? So I want to know first what does and doesnt work for my build. Might buy a fan set with a control hub so I can just power it with molex, as my last resort.

2 hours ago, Analog said:

So the only thing that I should keep in mind is... if my mobo doesnt have an RGB header... I still can control the RPM but NOT the lights (it wont even lit up). So, if I still want to buy an RGB fan, Id buy the ones that do light up even without the header. The only downside is I wont be able to control the lights, but I can control the rpm. Is that correct?

1 hour ago, Aaron1080p said:

So the only thing that I should keep in mind is... if my mobo doesnt have an RGB header... I still can control the RPM but NOT the lights (it wont even lit up). So, if I still want to buy an RGB fan, Id buy the ones that do light up even without the header. The only downside is I wont be able to control the lights, but I can control the rpm. Is that correct?

Yes that would be correct. You essentially need to look for something like this: https://aerocool.io/product/frost-12-pwm/ 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here