are there devices which can intake spdif/optical audio and produce sound with out adaptors?

PRATAP
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Audio receivers have optical inputs ...  some high end pc speakers have optical inputs ...

Example of receiver, check the bottom picture : https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH590-multi-channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WG7HZY/

See the optical in  (says TV in but it's assignable) and also digital coax in , and you also have 4 hdmi inputs and one hdmi output

61UaH7TLunL._AC_SL1200_.thumb.jpg.a8ec15702b8ffe40461be78d560668d3.jpg

I have

1. a assembled PC, the motherboard has "SPDIF OUT" slot.

2. a LG TV which has the same slot back side of the TV.

3. PS4 Pro also having the same slot.

seeing the slots above, I have purchased this product amazon link but I did not find any device that can intake this cables other end.

I romed some electronics shops and they said buy adapter.

So, I recently had to buy this product Amazon Link

I wonder is it impossible to produce the sound out with out the adapter? please share any devices which can intake from the optical cable itself.

Some amplifiers, sound bars etc have optical inputs... 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hi thanks for response.. Can you share a link to any such audio devices please. I am really sad about optical cable.. One end can be connected to my above mentioned 3 devices but other end requires adapter. I really want to buy the audio device that can take input from optical cable it self.

1 hour ago, PRATAP said:

I wonder is it impossible to produce the sound out with out the adapter? please share any devices which can intake from the optical cable itself.

It's far from impossible, you just need a sound system that has optical in. Just look at the specs for whatever sound system you are looking at and check if it has optical in. Plenty of speakers, soundbars and receivers take optical nowadays.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

optical connects to optical (spdif)  did you remove the cap off the end of the cable?  I've made that mistake before and couldn't plug it in

it should just plug right in but I'm unaware if TV's can take optical input or it's just output

Why aren't you just using hdmi for audio? or are you using vga or dvi?

What is your goal? To output sound to your TV? From the PC or the playstation or both?

if you are using hdmi just use that for audio

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

What exactly are you after?

Are you after a speaker system which has optical input for all your devices or a adapter which will convert optical into a jack so you can plug a sound system into it?

Audio receivers have optical inputs ...  some high end pc speakers have optical inputs ...

Example of receiver, check the bottom picture : https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH590-multi-channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WG7HZY/

See the optical in  (says TV in but it's assignable) and also digital coax in , and you also have 4 hdmi inputs and one hdmi output

61UaH7TLunL._AC_SL1200_.thumb.jpg.a8ec15702b8ffe40461be78d560668d3.jpg

what is your use case is this to drive headphones, speaker, or do you need a soundbar that can take optical

8 hours ago, Psittac said:

optical connects to optical (spdif)  did you remove the cap off the end of the cable?  I've made that mistake before and couldn't plug it in

it should just plug right in but I'm unaware if TV's can take optical input or it's just output

Why aren't you just using hdmi for audio? or are you using vga or dvi?

What is your goal? To output sound to your TV? From the PC or the playstation or both?

if you are using hdmi just use that for audio

Hi, I did not remove the cap off the both ends of the cable.

mobo, tv and ps4 all have outputs only.

goal is to buy a sound system that can intake from above 3 like when I want sound from PC, I will connect to it. when I want sound from TV, I will connect to it, like wise when I play with PS4 I would like to use the sound system that has input from PS4's output. 

6 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

What exactly are you after?

Are you after a speaker system which has optical input for all your devices or a adapter which will convert optical into a jack so you can plug a sound system into it?

I want to buy a sound system that has optical input. rite now I have LG sound system that does not have optical input. the PC, TV and PS4 all these have optical out. when I use TV, I want sound from the sound system ( which I am going to buy) which has optical input. likewise when I use PC, I want sound from the sound system(  which I am going to buy) which has optical input. Same for PS4 Also.

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

what is your use case is this to drive headphones, speaker, or do you need a soundbar that can take optical

Hi, I am looking for a sound system that can take Optical.

24 minutes ago, PRATAP said:

Hi, I am looking for a sound system that can take Optical.

Is this for home theater or a desk solution and what is your budget?

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Is this for home theater or a desk solution and what is your budget?

Its for home usage only. PC and PS4 are connected with HDMI Cable to a HP HD Monitor which does not have speakers.

Regarding Budjet, I want to use the advantage of Optical Cable without any adapters, which ever sound system that starts with low price that has optical input, I will go with it. I can spend maximum of 700USD for the sound system but if any sound system that has optical in for lesser price, I will go with it.

2 hours ago, PRATAP said:

I want to buy a sound system that has optical input. rite now I have LG sound system that does not have optical input. the PC, TV and PS4 all these have optical out. when I use TV, I want sound from the sound system ( which I am going to buy) which has optical input. likewise when I use PC, I want sound from the sound system(  which I am going to buy) which has optical input. Same for PS4 Also.

There could be better way's to do this, but I suggest looking into a spdif switcher so you can select the source for your audio to go with your soundbar

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

8 hours ago, Psittac said:

There could be better way's to do this, but I suggest looking into a spdif switcher so you can select the source for your audio to go with your soundbar

Hi, thanks for the link. I appreciate your smart thinking about the product. Basically I am trying to avoid the adapter I mentioned in the Question. When I play on PS4 I will put on end of the Optical Cable to PS4's SPDIF Output while other end stays in the Sound System that I am going to use. When I want to use HTPC, I will remove the Optical Cable from PS4 and put it to HTPC's SPDIF Output. the link you shared is really a smart idea but in my case I think it will occupy more table space and more Optical Cables.