cpu/socket smells like smoke, crackling sound

JoLi

Hi Guys,

I have a AMD Athlon XP 2000+, I put it in a MB, turned everything on, but all i got was a crackling sound from the cpu and a bad burned smell...

Any Ideas what that was? After that I have tried an 2200+ on another MB, that postet, and worked, so I put the 2000+ in there, but got nothing but fans reving up, but this time no smell and no crackling sound

Also, after the first test, i touched the die, the back of the cpu, the mainboard, but everything was just a little bit warm, so i think it didn't overheat.

Same after the second and third test.

did you inspect the cpu and socket carefully for burn damage? sounds like there should be some signs.

Unfortunately, CPUs and parts don't even need to be warm, to have fried internally due to some fault. There is no way for an average user to actually test the CPU other than what you did. Next step? I don't know, as most places won't take back CPUs for exactly that reason, they don't know what you did, but they feel fairly certain they shipped you a working part in a sealed box. Good luck with this. 

You can try their support, and see if you can RMA the part. Do the exact same for the Motherboard, if within warranty period. Otherwise, shrug...

7 minutes ago, JoLi said:

Hi Guys,

I have a AMD Athlon XP 2000+, I put it in a MB, turned everything on, but all i got was a crackling sound from the cpu and a bad burned smell...

Any Ideas what that was? After that I have tried an 2200+ on another MB, that postet, and worked, so I put the 2000+ in there, but got nothing but fans reving up, but this time no smell and no crackling sound

Also, after the first test, i touched the die, the back of the cpu, the mainboard, but everything was just a little bit warm, so i think it didn't overheat.

Same after the second and third test.

The heat sink wasn't seated properly and you burnt the chip with a high chance of taking out the board with it.

Here is one of my Duron chips.

If yours looks like this, it's dead as a door nail.

20210125_172648.jpg

16 minutes ago, Niels_aka_StormCloud said:

You can try their support, and see if you can RMA the part. Do the exact same for the Motherboard, if within warranty period. Otherwise, shrug...

Something tells me that a CPU released in January 2002 is no longer under a warranty...

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The heat sink wasn't seated properly and you burnt the chip with a high chance of taking out the board with it.

Here is one of my Duron chips.

If yours looks like this, it's dead as a door nail.

20210125_172648.jpg

fortunately, they dont look like that, but I just took a very close look at the thermal paste resodue on the 2000+ (lower one) and it looked like there are some extremely small bubbles

the Green MB is known good, I tested it with the 2200+, that works perfectly fine.

the brown MB is probably burnt or somehow else damaged, I tested the 2000+ on it.

The smell came from the CPU, but the socket also smelled a bit. Interestingly, the back of that MB was the warmest after the test, but not as warm that i'd worry about that

photo_2021-01-26_07-59-56.jpg

photo_2021-01-26_07-59-53.jpg

photo_2021-01-26_08-11-40.jpg

photo_2021-01-26_08-11-39.jpg

photo_2021-01-26_08-11-36.jpg

photo_2021-01-26_08-11-31.jpg

Edited by JoLi
4 pics of MBs

Well that's a good thing!  

what motherboards are these?

1 hour ago, JoLi said:

AH. Gotcha. Looks like both are Via chipsets. So if they die, not a terrible loss.

If you come across a board with NF2 chipset, grab that.

8 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Something tells me that a CPU released in January 2002 is no longer under a warranty...

when he gets knolege *woah*