Power limit explained?

Mark Kaine

So I've been checking power draw and stuff with GPU-Z and apparently my card [Gigabyte 3070 Vision OC] is already maxing out its supposed power limit [270w] at stock settings, although now I'm not sure if that was continuously or simply max... in any case let's assume this was continously [running a benchmark should theoretically max out most stuff] 

Does this mean there's no overclocking headroom at all? And if there is some headroom, how, when it's already at its max power draw? (provided the GPU-Z numbers are even correct) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Does this mean there's no overclocking headroom at all? And if there is some headroom, how, when it's already at its max power draw? (provided the GPU-Z numbers are even correct)

Its possible that you can't feed the card more power...but that doesn't mean you can't increase your GPU and memory clock speeds and get more performance.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Manufacturers are often way too cautious with voltages in order to keep all of the GPUs from a batch working, so in theory you could undervolt it whilst also increasing the clocks, or just increase the clocks using the current voltages.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Means its already oc'd to the max

wow, i see you've done a lot of research...posts like that are REALLY appreciated.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Boost will already go pretty much as high as it can with regards to power limit and temperature. You can try to lower temps if possible but after cards started to boost I have not been seeing great manual OC on my cards.

There are tasks that will not fully load the GPU and thus not reach the PL, and where higher clocks might give slightly higher performance...

But boost pretty much takes care of that already, so yes overcloocking core has little benefit nowadays.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Its possible that you can't feed the card more power...but that doesn't mean you can't increase your GPU and memory clock speeds and get more performance.

3 hours ago, igormp said:

Manufacturers are often way too cautious with voltages in order to keep all of the GPUs from a batch working, so in theory you could undervolt it whilst also increasing the clocks, or just increase the clocks using the current voltages.

Yeah, ok both of these make sense in a way... so there might still be some headroom one way or another... 

Whats also true a game won't max out a card as much as a benchmark... I checked, pretty demanding game only uses like 180w on average, but yeah, I was just curious because I've seen this again and again people saying the higher the power limit the better for overclocking, evga even released bios updates with higher power limits... 

I'll check with a light OC what some benchmarks say I guess, that's at least one pretty good indicator in my experience. Thanks for the answers everyone. 

@igormp undervolting generally makes a lot of sense imo as you even get lower temps with that as far I know. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I was just curious because I've seen this again and again people saying the higher the power limit the better for overclocking, evga even released bios updates with higher power limits... 

It is IF you really want to push for extreme overclocks. Light overclocks can be achieved with the default voltages more often than not.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

@igormp @i_build_nanosuits @Kilrah @jaslion @aDoomGuy

I get 50 points more in Superposition 1080p EXTREME with +25 +100...  that's basically nothing, right? 

I still think it's gonna work better in games obviously, but overall there probably isn't a lot of headroom - which is one reason I bought this card (high power limit) on the other hand that also makes these cards a bit boring

And another 100 points with +50 +100!

20210123_204417.thumb.jpg.d4293bc5e1abd3a2f61688e7812fe40a.jpg

20210123_204445.thumb.jpg.9cce9024cf9a2a9d207f10a4eaf43c2b.jpg

So there goes something... 🤔

power limit has always been around the same 263-271w and I guess there goes more at least on memory too... 

For comparison stock:

20210123_205158.thumb.jpg.f7cd952792ab973c57cc794b071b329e.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

That is normal most cards are basically running at their limit anyways. So those 50-100 points are like maybe 1fps if at all more.

I think the limiting* factor is mostly cooling probably... 70C is a bit toasty... 

If i *knew* for sure it'd help I might be getting an aio to keep it around 60c... the fans even at 100% aren't gonna do that...

Spoiler

*that's besides that I haven't found the actual limit yet... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That is normal most cards are basically running at their limit anyways. So those 50-100 points are like maybe 1fps if at all more.

Nuh, huh. "150 points is HUGE" - Jayztwocents 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I think the limiting* factor is mostly cooling probably... 70C is a bit toasty... 

If i *knew* for sure it'd help I might be getting an aio to keep it around 60c... the fans even at 100% aren't gonna do that...

Reveal hidden contents

*that's besides I haven't found the actual limit yet... 

83c is when they will start lowering clocks. So you have plenty of headroom.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

uh, huh. "150 points is HUGE" - Jayztwocents 

Yeah for people wanting to get on the scoreboard. I believe you are just gaming with that system so stop worrying about it that card is performing basically at max just leave it be. An aio isn't going to get you better performance as you are nowhere near 83c which is just a built in safety. The cards can go hotter than that but that is just gpuboosts limit. If you really want more performance get a better card instead of wasting money on a card that is basically at max performance.

Also to illustrate 150 points is nothing. 150/8544 (your original non oc score) = 0.0175 = 1.75% better performance. So basically nothing might as well just be a rounding error.

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah for people wanting to get on the scoreboard. I believe you are just gaming with that system so stop worrying about it that card is performing basically at max just leave it be. An aio isn't going to get you better performance as you are nowhere near 83c which is just a built in safety. The cards can go hotter than that but that is just gpuboosts limit. If you really want more performance get a better card instead of wasting money on a card that is basically at max performance.

Also to illustrate 150 points is nothing. 150/8544 (your original non oc score) = 0.0175 = 1.75% better performance. So basically nothing might as well just be a rounding error.

Nope, starts already at 50C, always has (since gpu boost 3)

clock_analysis2.jpg.3816cce492f505ca7510587f424d2e96.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Nope, starts already at 50C, always has (since gpu boost 3)

clock_analysis2.jpg.3816cce492f505ca7510587f424d2e96.jpg

Not this gen

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

basically running at their limit anyways. So those 50-100 points are like maybe 1fps if at all more.

In my experience this is good for about 5-10 fps depending on the game.

And low and behold... 

ROTTR 1440P, mostly max settings, MSAA 

3070 stock:

20210123_221034.thumb.jpg.70d515964009d5dc85db4b7f6741bb21.jpg

+25 core +100 memory:

20210123_214539.thumb.jpg.d1c76d21f430baf6a7ba8178107e5941.jpg

+25 core +300 memory 

20210123_220740.thumb.jpg.8ffc79af6a8e1aa011469dc8f08f7f12.jpg

*Whooping* 5 FPS, that is HUGE especially at 1440p. 

I also get the angle that this isn't all that great , but you can get some noticeable gains with overclocking 3070 cards, you'd know that if you followed a couple of tech channels who all already proofed this. (I recommend Tech Jesus for the ice and flowing hair, and jayztwocents for the dremel action 😄

I was simply curious what's up with the power limit difference on some cards, it's quite curious anyways. 

57 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not this gen

Do you have a source for this statement? 

Would be good to know either way, but generally lower temps means higher clock speeds and I haven't found anything regarding Ampere GPU boost analysis at all so far... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

In my experience this is good for about 5-10 fps depending on the game.

And low and behold... 

ROTTR 1440P, mostly max settings, MSAA 

3070 stock:

20210123_221034.thumb.jpg.70d515964009d5dc85db4b7f6741bb21.jpg

+25 core +100 memory:

20210123_214539.thumb.jpg.d1c76d21f430baf6a7ba8178107e5941.jpg

+25 core +300 memory 

20210123_220740.thumb.jpg.8ffc79af6a8e1aa011469dc8f08f7f12.jpg

*Whooping* 5 FPS, that is HUGE especially at 1440p. 

I get the angle this isn't all that great , but you can get some noticeable gains with overclocking 3070 cards, you'd know that if you followed a couple of tech channels who all already proofed this. (I recommend Tech Jesus for the ice and flowing hair, and jayztwocents for the dremel action 😄

I was simply curious what's up with the power limit difference on some cards, it's quite curious anyways. 

Do you have a source for this statement? 

Would be good to know either way, but generally lower temps means higher clock speeds and I haven't found anything regarding Ampere GPU boost analysis at all so far... 

Gamersnexus any of the new 3000 series cards. Look at their review they have the initial 2 second really spikey spikes and then it basically normalizes.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

That's for thermal throttle (clocks below the base ones). Boost clocks depends on the manufacturer bios.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

12 hours ago, igormp said:

That's for thermal throttle (clocks below the base ones). Boost clocks depends on the manufacturer bios.

Yeah that's what I mean. Most cards just seem to go full force gpu boost till they hit the thermal throttle limit nowadays. I mean why wouldn't they do that.

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah that's what I mean. Most cards just seem to go full force gpu boost till they hit the thermal throttle limit nowadays. I mean why wouldn't they do that.

I've seen many that don't. After 60° they drop a tad bit from the full boost, and after 70° you notice a more significant drop (still above base clocks tho). I guess that's more common with gigabyte GPUs

It really depends on the manufacturer bios. 

Lenovo N23 Yoga