Switching from Android to WP, a good idea?

StingBull

I've been think on where to go after Android. After the KitKat update rendered my micro-SD card useless I gave some thought and realised that I do not like Google's direction at all.

I lose interest in it each and every day and I fell like Android is really not going anywhere now that it is the top dog. Google and pretty much everyone else who makes Android devices made it apparent that they'll be focusing on wearables this year, so the phone side will stagnate for another year just like when Google decided to focus on tablets for a while.

I wouldn't switch to iOS, it's just not for me. The only reason I chose Android was because it was the the phone OS with the most "Windows like" experience.

Usability and customizability that's what I care for in a phone.

If I were to switch some time next year, would you recommend Windows Phone OS. Lack of apps is really not a problem for me, I'm pretty much over the app-craze.

How easy is it to transfer files from PC to phone on Windows Phone? This is really an important factor for me. If I have to do anything more than just drag and drop with no programs involved (NO iTUNES) then it's a deal breaker for me.

inb4: Everyone telling me to install a costum ROM. Yeah I know I can do that, I've done it before and I'll probably do it again some time in the future again. It's good that Android has this option BUT the fact that I have to fix what Google broke is really not a good thing. After paying a fortune I would rather have my phone not be stupid to begin with and not spend hours to make it un-stupid. Besides I'm trying to learn about the Windows Phone here.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

LOL windows phone is a complete joke, My dad bought a Nokia with it and I tried using it but the interface was such shit it was nearly impossible to navigate.

I highly recommend you stick with Android because of it's high adoption and app support. 

I've been think on where to go after Android. After the KitKat update rendered my micro-SD card useless I gave some thought and realised that I do not like Google's direction at all.

I lose interest in it each and every day and I fell like Android is really not going anywhere now that it is the top dog. Google and pretty much everyone else who makes Android devices made it apparent that they'll be focusing on wearables this year, so the phone side will stagnate for another year just like when Google decided to focus on tablets for a while.

I wouldn't switch to iOS, it's just not for me. The only reason I chose Android was because it was the the phone OS with the most "Windows like" experience.

If I were to switch some time next year, would you recommend Windows Phone OS. Lack of apps is really not a problem for me, I'm pretty much over the app-craze.

How easy is it to transfer files from PC to phone on Windows Phone? This is really an important factor for me. If I have to do anything more than just drag and drop with no programs involved (NO iTUNES) then it's a deal breaker for me.

inb4: Everyone telling me to install a costum ROM. Yeah I know I can do that, I've done it before and I'll probably do it again some time in the future again. It's good that Android has this option BUT the fact that I have to fix what Google broke is really not a good thing. After paying a fortune I would rather have my phone not be stupid to begin with and not spend hours to make it un-stupid. Besides I'm trying to learn about the Windows Phone here.

Windows Phone 8 is an excellent option. I strongly urge you to consider using it. With Windows Phone 8, you can drag and drop files into the file system when your phone is connected to your PC - Yes! No software required! Check out this link for details on how easy it is: http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-phone-8/windows-phone-8-tip-access-phones-file-system-144696

Although there's also good sync/transfer software if you prefer that route.

The UI in my opinion is really nice. It's a good change over the iOS and Android styles that have been around and stagnant for so long. That's not to say that the UI for iOS and Android are bad, but they haven't changed much lately. WP8 UI is easy to use, and very quick/snappy. Just like any mobile OS (That includes iOS and Android) there is certainly room for improvement, but they are actively working on WP8 to make it better all the time. The upcoming updates planned for 8.1 integration, among other more long term changes. I'm very impressed with what they've been able to come up with in a market so duality-focused on iOS or Android.

LOL windows phone is a complete joke, My dad bought a Nokia with it and I tried using it but the interface was such shit it was nearly impossible to navigate.

I highly recommend you stick with Android because of it's high adoption and app support. 

Wow, okay, I just don't even know what to say to this.

1. Windows Phone is not a joke - complete or otherwise. It's a pretty kickass mobile OS, which some really slick hardware options.

2. The UI is definitely not impossible to navigate. It's actually incredibly easy to use. iOS is probably the only easier OS to use for someone who has never touched a phone before.

3. The lack of app support changes every day. Pretty much most major apps are out for WP8 now, and there are tons of unofficial apps or alternatives to cover the rest. The average person can use WP8 without any app issues at all.

Your father may have the opinion that WP8 is bad, but that doesn't magically make it fact. That's just his opinion - I hold the opinion that he's wrong. We're both allowed to have these opinions because we live in free and democratic societies that protect that freedom of expression and opinion. But do NOT confuse opinion with fact. I've also never met anyone who hates WP8 after legitimately using it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you want a change from android then just download a WP8 launcher and lockscreen. Because you can actually do that on Android. I do like a change sometimes and have made my android phone look like WP8 in the past but that's because I can and that's why I love android.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Wow, okay, I just don't even know what to say to this.

1. Windows Phone is not a joke - complete or otherwise. It's a pretty kickass mobile OS, which some really slick hardware options.

2. The UI is definitely not impossible to navigate. It's actually incredibly easy to use. iOS is probably the only easier OS to use for someone who has never touched a phone before.

3. The lack of app support changes every day. Pretty much most major apps are out for WP8 now, and there are tons of unofficial apps or alternatives to cover the rest. The average person can use WP8 without any app issues at all.

Your father may have the opinion that WP8 is bad, but that doesn't magically make it fact. That's just his opinion - I hold the opinion that he's wrong. We're both allowed to have these opinions because we live in free and democratic societies that protect that freedom of expression and opinion. But do NOT confuse opinion with fact. I've also never met anyone who hates WP8 after legitimately using it.

I personally don't see the UI being clean or well managed, with sporatic tiles and such it's just a mess to my eyes. I would prefer iOS which has a much more massive adoption rate and such. Now running smooth and all, windows does well, but still, what matters way more to me is the apps that I use still being on windows, which itn's there.

I was in the same boat as you, i had my Galaxy Nexus with many custom roms have even used kitkat on it. I also have used android since Android 1.5 came out. Thats 5 years of experince with the ins and outs of Android,  Looked if i should buy a new phone like the S4 or HTC one or Z1 but really didnt like it anymore, Apple's iphone is to small for me. So i then looked at windows phone 8 again.

And ever since i got it i had  blast with it, no slow downs no lags, also didn't find any app that i used on android missing the WP8 i bought is a Lumia 925 which imo the best phone i have ever owned.  This time of year is the perfect year to join windows phone as well.

Since Windows phone 8.1 comes out which all existing Wp8 devices will also receive as an update which fixes a ton of stuff. Which you can read here: http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-features

These will be announced in April.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

If you want a change from android then just download a WP8 launcher and lockscreen. Because you can actually do that on Android. I do like a change sometimes and have made my android phone look like WP8 in the past but that's because I can and that's why I love android.

That's not the same as Wp8, you are missing a ton of features and it also lags.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

I was in the same boat as you, i had my Galaxy Nexus with many custom roms have even used kitkat on it. I also have used android since Android 1.5 came out. Thats 5 years of experince with the ins and outs of Android,  Looked if i should buy a new phone like the S4 or HTC one or Z1 but really didnt like it anymore, Apple's iphone is to small for me. So i then looked at windows phone 8 again.

And ever since i got it i had  blast with it, no slow downs no lags, also didn't find any app that i used on android missing the WP8 i bought is a Lumia 925 which imo the best phone i have ever owned.  This time of year is the perfect year to join windows phone as well.

Since Windows phone 8.1 comes out which all existing Wp8 devices will also receive as an update which fixes a ton of stuff. Which you can read here: http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-features

These will be announced in April.

Fully agreed. The 8.1 update looks freaking awesome. It addresses so many different features/improvements, but the Action Center is really the main focus, which looks pretty damn good.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Like @Skanic, I use a Nokia 925 with WP8. Unlike Skanic, I don't believe it is the best phone I've ever used. That title still belongs to an iPhone 4S.

That said, the Nokia, and WP8 in general is a solid choice. It is better and easier to use (in my opinion) than Android. Lack of apps isn't a problem for me, as even on the iPhone the only app I ever used was DoodleJump. The only one not available on WinPhone is an official YouTube app. Microsoft has their own one which works fine though.

Some of the biggest pros of Windows Phone are:

• Fantastic account integration. Especially syncing up FB chat to the Messaging app, makes switching between FB, text and Windows Messenger absolutely seamless.
  • Inbuilt Office is usable, and an excellent reader. OneNote is a generally useful app, though not as quick as notes on iOS.
  • Integration with SkyDrive (useful for me, as I have files all over the place)
  • Good contact management
  • Excellent web browser for full sized sites. However not many websites pick it up as a mobile operating system so you aren't always served a mobile version
  • In the Nokia Lumia range, you get outstanding hardware quality, top notch camera and the best maps system out there. That said, my power button has become mostly unresponsive after 6 months of use and I have an actual deformed fingernail from having to hold it in.

It is an excellent operating system. But Android and iOS are as well, so it comes down to whether you enjoy using it.

In my opinion both Metrotube and Mytube are better than the native app from Android or iOS.

That's not the same as Wp8, you are missing a ton of features and it also lags.

Features being less apps and maybe an app that is exclusive to Windows Phone. Also It doesnt lag.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

I've never personally gotten familiar with it, but owners who've had it for some time speak very highly of it. I'd be reluctant to try it, but I would if I could.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I've never personally gotten familiar with it, but owners who've had it for some time speak very highly of it. I'd be reluctant to try it, but I would if I could.

Just buy a cheap Lumia 520, That way you get to try out wp8.

It only has a low res screen, no flash. 512Mb ram. But you can still play games like asphalt 8.

...That said, my power button has become mostly unresponsive after 6 months of use and I have an actual deformed fingernail from having to hold it in....

If your phone is less than 6 months old, I highly suggest you contact the manufacturer for warranty support. This is obviously a defective unit, and not a design fault.

I agree with absolutely everything else you said, I just don't want people to get the mistaken impression that the Nokia 925 has design flaws like that.

If your phone is less than 6 months old, I highly suggest you contact the manufacturer for warranty support. This is obviously a defective unit, and not a design fault.

Well my phone was DOA, so I had to send it away as soon as I got it, and it took 2 weeks to get back to me. I can't live without the phone for that long and its just easier to live with the issue. 

Well my phone was DOA, so I had to send it away as soon as I got it, and it took 2 weeks to get back to me. I can't live without the phone for that long and its just easier to live with the issue. 

Well that's certainly a choice you can make, but for the sake of clarity and disclosure to anyone looking for information in this thread, you should make sure to mention facts like that.

This would be no different then any other random defect on any other device. You don't want to have the inconvenience of being without your phone. Many would certainly agree with you that a minor issue that could happen to any phone isn't worth the hassle of warranty service.

I would wait for Ubuntu Touch and try that before making a decision.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Hi stingbull,

New WP devices are expected to be launched soon. I suggest you get yourself a simple and cheap Nokia Lumia 520 and give it a try before you get an expensive WP device.

You can easily transfer files by connecting this device to a desktop/laptop..

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia520/

I have been using WP from the start. and i am happy with it because my needs are satisfied... ( Music, Mail and i browse a lot with IE and i dont play much games )

There were few apps earlier, but its much better now. few apps is no more an issue. The Internet Explorer is great so i always go to the website directly instead of using apps.  so for me, WP is great. Your needs could be different. I suggest you try it out.

Lumia 520 is a basic model for someone like you who is new to WP. few games which need more ram wont work on this particular model. 

try it out before you purchase a costly WP device. If you dislike WP, exchange it for an android or ios device.

Thank you for the responses guys. Since my current phone is practically brand new I'll have to wait for a year or so. I've always liked the Lumia hardware so I'll probably go for one of them. Plus, by that point Windows Phone 8 might even become Windows Phone 9.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

LOL Your picture and title! 

Took me ages to think of this.