DirectX12

Sharkeye

Congrats on your second post and welcome! I' have yet to read the article, but it seems like it could be imteresting

Diamond 5 in League :)

So my statements earlier were correct. It's Mantle in disguise and it works on DX11 hardware. Yay.

Nice to know my GPU will support it (: It kind of sounds like it's an Nvidia exclusive with the way the article is written....

I know Mantle is on an open license, but is it really okay to just.. take the API and rename it and adapt it to other hardware then name it DX12? Is that... legally sound?

No, you weren't. Did you even read the article? NVIDIA's blog says DX12 discussion begun more than four years ago "with discussions about reducing resource overhead". They worked for a year to deliver "a working design and implementation of DX12 at GDC".

Intel also said that they  been 'deep in development on DirectX 12 with Microsoft for years'.

So my statements earlier were correct. It's Mantle in disguise and it works on DX11 hardware. Yay.

Read the above. It''s not Mantle in disguise.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

No, you weren't. Did you even read the article? NVIDIA's blog says DX12 discussion begun more than four years ago "with discussions about reducing resource overhead". They worked for a year to deliver "a working design and implementation of DX12 at GDC".

Intel also said that they  been 'deep in development on DirectX 12 with Microsoft for years'.

Read the above. It''s not Mantle in disguise.

Just because it's been in development longer doesn't mean it's not Mantle in disguise.

It has similar end goals to Mantle but is entirely, completely and utterly different and separate.

Calling it 'Mantle in disguise' is almost insulting given how much of a mess Mantle turned out to be.

I don't think mantle was that big of a mess, I mean it had a bumpy start but then it got stabilized quickly with the 4.2 driver, and for the most part now it runs smooth (giving it has only been in one game so far) and it looks like it is gaining steam.

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

I know Mantle is on an open license, but is it really okay to just.. take the API and rename it and adapt it to other hardware then name it DX12? Is that... legally sound?

Its their original API that took a while longer than Mantle to bring a concept that was invented before any of this to market.

Just because it's been in development longer doesn't mean it's not Mantle in disguise.

Then what does?

I love seeing advancements in PC gaming, makes me  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I really hope all this stuff works the way its intended to.  Would be nice to see performance improvements for all :)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So, first real post on the forums. (introduction aside)

I can't say that I am happy to see DX12. 

My reason being that the entire Steam and valve movement was to get people to switch to an open sourced solution for gaming. To get developers to code for OpenGL, and Mantle. Everyone was really excited about this movement (for the most part)

But now that DX12 is coming out, those developers will get low level support for an API they already use. So they will be very unlikely to switch to one of the open alternatives.

I can see this being a set-back for everything steam and valve are working toward.

"DX12 is Microsoft’s latest version of the graphics API that is the dominant standard in the growing, $25 billion PC gaming industry."

That makes me happy to read.

"NVIDIA will support the DX12 API on all the DX11-class GPUs it has shipped" - so DX12 will run on my GTX 580 then? lol. Would be kinda funny, if my 3 y/o performance schnitzel get's DX12 aka mantle.

who cares...

So, first real post on the forums. (introduction aside)

I can't say that I am happy to see DX12. 

My reason being that the entire Steam and valve movement was to get people to switch to an open sourced solution for gaming. To get developers to code for OpenGL, and Mantle. Everyone was really excited about this movement (for the most part)

But now that DX12 is coming out, those developers will get low level support for an API they already use. So they will be very unlikely to switch to one of the open alternatives.

I can see this being a set-back for everything steam and valve are working toward.

I can see what you mean, but let's face facts - DirectX is usually a superior option for these people.

If you're a beginner developer Microsoft has better tools, documentation, support and sometimes even offer substantial discounts on their products and services. Most educational establishments teaching Game Development courses also work with Microsoft's tools - DirectX, Visual Studio, XNA etc.

Valve and Steam can continue to push toward besting Microsoft, they'll just have to work harder now - which is inherently a good thing. Now they can focus on actually bringing us a better product, rather than preying on the PC Gamer's belief that Microsoft hates PC gaming.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

i have not looked into what it supports yet, but i hope it will support my duel Radeon HD 6950s, although i will probubly be upgraiding soon... BF4 doesn't run that good with only 2 gigs of Vram

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Then what does?

The idea that it does essentially the same exact thing.

The idea that it does essentially the same exact thing.

If they came up with the idea first, then it's not Mantle in disguise.

I can see what you mean, but let's face facts - DirectX is usually a superior option for these people.

If you're a beginner developer Microsoft has better tools, documentation, support and sometimes even offer substantial discounts on their products and services. Most educational establishments teaching Game Development courses also work with Microsoft's tools - DirectX, Visual Studio, XNA etc.

Valve and Steam can continue to push toward besting Microsoft, they'll just have to work harder now - which is inherently a good thing. Now they can focus on actually bringing us a better product, rather than preying on the PC Gamer's belief that Microsoft hates PC gaming.

That makes a lot of sense, and I hope that's what happens. But I'm not sure how much it has to do with the idea of Microsoft hating gaming, but more of gaming moving to open sourced platforms.

I don't have anything against Microsoft for gaming personally, but I would like to see my entire library of steam games running on Linux Natively.

That makes a lot of sense, and I hope that's what happens. But I'm not sure how much it has to do with the idea of Microsoft hating gaming, but more of gaming moving to open sourced platforms.

I don't have anything against Microsoft for gaming personally, but I would like to see my entire library of steam games running on Linux Natively.

Personally, I hold no interest in Linux.

Windows provides a superior experience, has infinitely better support for games and programs and much less of a hassle to use generally speaking. Should there be a Linux distro which is better than Windows then fair enough, but given the massive backlog of Windows games at this point in history I simply don't see it happening.

That is unless they can somehow get significant performance boosts on Linux. But I'm doubtful that'll be possible - Microsoft definitely won't want Linux to have a massive advantage over their proprietary stuff.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff